may be a dumb question, but what's a decent pair of headphones for my guitar/amp/fx pedal that wont break the bank? not looking for a top of the line $$$ set as I know they can get expensive, but don't want some crap pair that will have to replace in a year or two as well...

also would guess I need a long cord as I play standing up but figure can just get an extension.
The best headphones that I've found for under $100 is the Panasonic RP-HTX7. You can find them for around $40 online at Amazon. I've gone through quite a few pairs and they all sounded great for open-ear headphones in that price range. The only real problem that I have found with them is the the cord tends to short out after a while and there isn't really a way to replace it so you are pretty much SOL. As long as you don't mind replacing them after that happens you are okay.

Recently I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD585 headphones and they sound amazing. They also come with a detachable cable so you can replace it (and pretty much everything else) on the headphones when they wear out. For around $130, you can't beat them. These will last for a looooong time.

Of course, no matter what you get you should probably invest in a decent headphone amplifier for best sound quality, especially with headphones that are a higher impedance (anything over 32 ohms or will probably need an amp to drive them fully) . Something like the Fiio E7 should work nicely.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Recently I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD585 headphones and they sound amazing. They also come with a detachable cable so you can replace it (and pretty much everything else) on the headphones when they wear out. For around $130, you can't beat them. These will last for a looooong time.
Bro, do you even ATH-M50?
Or M50x if you fancy the detachable cable.
Quote by Mole351
a decent pair of headphones for my guitar/amp/fx pedal
Seriously, the best compromise I can think of is a pair of ATH-M50 or M50x if you want the detachable cable.
I can find the M50 for around $100 and the M50x for $150.

Though what would your setup be?
Because if you're using a cheap amp's headphones out it'll not sound good even through MDR-R10s.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.