Hi Folks, long time lurker+first time poster here. I'll get to the point. I know this is accessories but I'm looking at a new rig including guitar, wasnt sure where to post the question....

Ive been playing off and on for about 7-8 years now and am headed to Philadelphia for grad school soon. Since I cant haul my gear (minimal) from my current location to there ill be selling it (I have an ESP Explorer Ex-102 + Vamp2). This worked quite well for me, room practicing through a 2.1 speaker system to play over songs/background tracks and quite a few gigs with the Vamp2 which can handle 5 saved presets with an up/down pedal.

What Im looking to get in Philly is a new rig but not sure of guitar +FX processor +amp (not cheap), guitar + modeling/practice amp (cheap), guitar + processor (cheapest). I have no speakers anymore need to get those as well.

Guitar - looking only at hardtails, e.g. RG321, LTD Viper 50, RG2EX1. Any suggestions about a hardtail with an arched top, fast neck, 24 frets and reasonable sound? Pups HH, HSH, HSS. Must be below 300 USD, new or used.

Processor - looking for something with good sound, need atleast 4-5 presets for quick switching (need not be stomp box, up/down is fine), expression pedal... man if I can get that in my budget, finally no more "auto-wah"...

Modeling Amp - Not sure if I should even bother with an amp. Normally practice in my room with mic-in processor and play through the speakers or headphones. Gigs, normally have their own gear so processor through amp which is mic'd. Advice?

Included the required topics for gear questions:

Budget - guitar - under 300. Processor/Amp - I'm looking to get a full setup for not more than 500 USD, cheaper the better. E.g. 200 used guitar + 100$ pedal and a lot of accessories like gigbag/bla bla I'd prefer that to 300 dollar slightly better guitar and 200 dollar pedal with 1 million effects I dont need.

Genres? Play rock, metal most of the time (metallica, opeth, GnR etc etc..) and am usually coerced to play crowd pleasers as well (bruno mars and what not).

New or Used? - Used is totally fine.

Home or Gig? - Home, 70%, gig 30% (e.g. once a quarter)

Closest City? - Philadelphia (will need to buy there. currently am on the other side of the planet).

Current Gear - LTD explorer EX-102 (hetfield idol influence) and Vamp2 (no flaming pls)

Bonus question: Any good music shops in philly selling used gear at a reasonable price? I prefer to buy from there as one can try, get some reasonable setup. Some craigslist sellers seem sketchy, seems like everyone only touched their guitar 4-10 times in years of ownership ("almost new" and what have you...)
Last edited by antipath at Apr 3, 2014,
Valveking 112 combo for around $250 and but the rest in the highest quality guitar you can afford.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Thanks for the suggestion on the amp - but Id really consider a solid state amp or modeling amp more given lower cost and more durability. Not even sure if an amp is worth the investment given processors are more portable and flexible for gigging and practice.

Also very keen on recommendations for an arched top fixed bridge guitar, so far Ibanez comes out on top (because of availability, price, quality) but not sure if I should consider other companies. Ibanez/LTD's are familiar for me to play, cant play Jacksons at all and need a double cut-away for reach...
For example Zoom G1Xon really caught my eye :| so many effects (with already good reviews on Zoom's FX) with an expression pedal it seems to be a great deal (70 USD on amazon)
Most practice amps, modeling etc dont have a decent footswitch, and almost never with an expression pedal.

I mean ofcourse you get what you pay for. not sure what kind of issues I could have with using a cheap zoom plastic pedal for a gig. I've used Vamp2 against a lot of advice during live gigs, no problems at all even though its a cheap plastic piece of crap.
Just get a Pod HD500 and keep your eye out for a good, used, cheap powered wedge when you can afford it. In the meantime - headphones at home, straight into the PA for gigs. The wedge is so you can control your own foldback on stage and also for those times you're just jamming and need an actual amp.
You are the perfect candidate for the Pod and wedge combination. It's the intelligent solution for your situation.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd love to have that - but at 400 USD used, the HD500 takes away from guitar money
Watch Craigslist and ebay.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm guessing not much experience out there with Zoom G1xon, given they launched the thing in 2014. I'm told the sound engine/mumbo jumbo in the insido is the same as G3/G5, are the latter any good at sounding the shmex?
Quote by antipath
I'd love to have that - but at 400 USD used, the HD500 takes away from guitar money

Pick up the Pod HD (the "bean" shaped one) -- these have been going new for $199. All the same electronics as the HD500, but it works as a desktop unit. At some point you can pick up an FBV Express (compact footboard, four bank switches, expression pedal, tuner display, tap tempo, etc.) for $99 for live playing. That's $300 new, less than that used.

In any case, even the $199 new price leaves you room for a pretty good guitar.
I got a zoom g3x for about $180. I think it sounds really nice, although I use it primarily in my effects loop for time based effects ect. They all sound really natural to me. That said, i dont know how good it would be using it solely for presets. I think its hard to jump around between presets on it compared to other multifx pedals like the pod. But its a good price and a good sound anyways.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by antipath

I got my POD HD500 forn Guitar Center as new old stock for $300. Trust me, if you go to GC and they have a used one, they will probably not have a problem selling it to you for $300. Just talk to the manager/highest salesperson.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I was kinda thinking a Vypyr Tube.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer