So I've been reading the forums quite a bit and I've noticed that some people are saying it's better to get a 2nd hand Line 6 PodXT Live than the new HD series? Any idea why that is?

FYI I might be swayed to get a 2nd hand if you can convince me...
Last edited by ThatGuy_17 at Apr 4, 2014,
HD's are a huge step up IMO. i think the amp modeling is the biggest difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
HD's are a huge step up IMO. i think the amp modeling is the biggest difference.

+1
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by ThatGuy_17
So I've been reading the forums quite a bit and I've noticed that some people are saying it's better to get a 2nd hand Line 6 PodXT Live than the new HD series? Any idea why that is?

FYI I might be swayed to get a 2nd hand if you can convince me...

Absolutely not. HDs blow the old PODs away. I honestly didn't really care for the old pods too much. HD is probably the best multiFX board and modeler under 500 dollars.

I highly suggest getting it.

Like this guy said:
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I have the POD XT bean and FBV shortboard and it is decent, but I agree the POD HD's are much better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you can get an XT Live for about $125 (what they go for around here) it's a good unit. I wouldn't say it's better than an HD500 by any stretch.
Used HD 500 would probably be the best mix of quality and cost efficiency. I don't know anything about the new X series though.

But because the stock patches in the HD 500 are just mediocre for the most part, you should like to tweak a lot to get the best tone out of it.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by Deadpool_25
Used HD 500 would probably be the best mix of quality and cost efficiency. I don't know anything about the new X series though.

But because the stock patches in the HD 500 are just mediocre for the most part, you should like to tweak a lot to get the best tone out of it.

X "series" is just a DSP with a little bit more headroom so it doesn't crap itself when you have too many effects on that exceed the DSP's ability to process it in realtime.

It also has improved hardware like better switches and apparently the case is no longer made out of cheap alloy.
Last edited by Clay-man at Apr 5, 2014,
Someone's selling it for 412 USD 2nd hand...argh, shud I just wait until they issue a new line 6 product? Should be soon right...
The POD XT Live should be running around $125- 175 (here in LA, anyway). It's an excellent unit (as is the X3 Live, which is a bit tougher to find, but which offers the same basic sound setup with a few more features). In fact, I think a Pod XT can be positively transformed if you turn off the cab sims and use, instead, the IRs in something like a Torpedo C.A.B.

The HD500 (and Pod HD "bean") have what Line 6 considers to be upgraded amp/cab/FX models that use (require) more DSP power. With the HD500 replaced by the HD500x and the Pod HD likely to be in a similar state, you'll find deals on both if you look (the Pod HD "bean" has been offered for $199 on several online sites).

I don't know if the XT is going to develop some kind of cult status, but if it does, I'm ready -- I've got several of the silly things. I'm using the HD series more, but I have no problems moving back and forth between the two versions.
^ Yea I'm seeing some 2nd hand XT Live's going around for about $130 right now which is quite decent. I'm probably not gonna make my final decision until June/July when I start playing again in church and end up trying to make a living out of playing music in general.

Hopefully they'll issue a new series by then which would be just perfect...
Quote by ThatGuy_17
^ Yea I'm seeing some 2nd hand XT Live's going around for about $130 right now which is quite decent. I'm probably not gonna make my final decision until June/July when I start playing again in church and end up trying to make a living out of playing music in general.

Hopefully they'll issue a new series by then which would be just perfect...

best paying thing to do if you don't get a music degree? teach lessons.

i personally own two independent businesses, so i am not depending on playing for a living. not saying to be a prick or uppity, most of you regulars know i am not that way. but this is stated strictly for the following example i wanted to make it clear that i don't depend on music as a major part of my income. when i was in undergrad gigs were more important and fit in with jobs better, grad school, i didn't gig or teach, but still played.

and i enjoy teaching, that money funds my gear. eight students a week @$25 for 30 minutes. $200 a week $800 a month,etc. most people can't earn more than that doing local gigs. i have gotten to know the music scene around here, and maybe i will go farther, i have been in many bands, actually more collaborations with other musicians, and co-writing and stuff like that.

if you can make it i would be very happy for you. as well as anybody on here (i know of one) gets some touring.

sorry for being long winded, but
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/