I've been told you folks skip over paragraphs so I'll get to it (posted another question in the Gear thread more on FX/Amp recommendations). I'm looking for a new axe.

Budget? 200-300 USD tops.

Favorite Artists? Hammett, Akerfeldt, Slash, etc etc. Play rock/metal on my own, usually coerced to play some crowd pleasers at gigs (pop, bruno mars, and other embarassing selections) so needs to have some rich tones. My current LTD sounds almost forced if playing anything other than metal and pure cleans.

Preferences? Must be comfortable playing sitting down and standing up. Neck profile - thin is good. I like LTD necks, I played Ibanez S series necks, loved them. Frets 24. dual cutaway, 24 frets, no tremolo (going to be in business school, no time to deal with the FR drama), and I would really like a shapely arched top or non flat body.
Gonna play it through an FX pedal of some sort (ZOOM G5 if the guitar is cheap, G1xon probably if the guitar is $$).

Pickups? - passive/active dont care - HH, HSS, HSH lower order of preference.

New or Used? Both ok - any links to an ultimate guitar "buying a used guitar" guide? :P

Location? Gonna move to philadelphia where I intend to buy this.

Current Gear? Have had an LTD Explorer Ex101 (with duncans)and Vamp2 that have served me loyally for bedroom and on stage guitar gymnastics through the better part of 9 years.
Last edited by antipath at Apr 4, 2014,
Fernandes Dragonfly Classic:
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/dragonfly/dragonfly-standard.html

...and they're having a clearance sale of limited quantities:
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/standard/76-dragonfly-standard.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
hmmm... compared to the MSRP, the promo price is a steal...BUT

1) Cant find any reviews on fernandes guitars
2) On this particular models, some reviews suggest it looks nice but feels cheap
3) I know its squeamish, but 300 USD is about the max I want to invest in a guitar, esp for a brand like fernandes because it will be hard to flip if I need to...

But I like the idea of non mainstream brands (maybe more bang for buck), but not sure if this fits the bill...
Quote by antipath

2) On this particular models, some reviews suggest it looks nice but feels cheap
3) I know its squeamish, but 300 USD is about the max I want to invest in a guitar, esp for a brand like fernandes because it will be hard to flip if I need to...

But I like the idea of non mainstream brands (maybe more bang for buck), but not sure if this fits the bill...

Fernandes makes nice guitars and has a pretty solid reputation. dude sorry but in your price range guitars are gonna feel a bit cheap compared to higher end models. you can only expect so much. when you move go to a guitar shop (sure philly has several) and see what is available used.
In your particular price range, you can't afford to be too picky.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by antipath

1) Fernandes/Burny is a quality Japanese brand that also makes models in Korea (just like everyone else). They tend to target artists in the harder rock genres. Check the artist list.

2) I can find reviews of the Dragonfly X and one on the Dragonfly Pro that say they're a bit cheap feeling, but that's the entry-level model and the one right above. I don't see that said about the Classic.

3) Archtop drives up the price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 4, 2014,
Ok roger that - yes I saw those Ibanez's and most of them are rated mid range with good reviews (RG321/S series/RG#EX# etc) I thought a used ibanez off of philly craigslist would be a much better deal, even though I agree the fernandes mentioned seems to be a solid one also. The reason I'm leaning in the used Ibanez's direction is theres a few listed with good extras (hard case, amp, processor etc).

How do you think an Ibanez RG321 or S4/S5 hard tail racks up against fernandes/other non mainstream/popular brands? (I'm assuming this is true, havent heard of this shop before)

Bonus question before I'm out of your respective hair: What are the key things to check when buying a used guitar other than:
1) playing it/checking the feel to see if its good.
2) checking surface for wear/tear
3) plugging in and making sure everything is functional and/or sounds good

Couldnt really find a used guitar buying guide or forum on here, but in case I missed it please paste the link!
Bonus question - the Fernandes Dragonfly standard - is this considered higher end? Given the comment that at a 300 dollar price point guitars will feel cheap, Im guessing this one doesnt perhaps?

What do you guys reckon about this deal posted above?

Plan to go and try the guitar here in singapore tomorrow. if I like it do you reckon I should directly order (and ship it to a friend in philly now)? (i.e. is it that good of a deal?) or hold out for the used Ibanez's (about~100 dollar cheaper but used etc etc).

I appreciate the help and tough love, gentlemen.
Bonus question - the Fernandes Dragonfly standard - is this considered higher end? Given the comment that at a 300 dollar price point guitars will feel cheap, Im guessing this one doesnt perhaps?

The Standard is not "high-end", but more like a good midrange guitar. Construction should be pretty solid considering things like the grade of maple used for the top, the Grover tuners, and TUSQ nut. What keeps it from being high end would be things like the pickups, and that it won't be passing through Fernandes' best QC procedures (like the elites or the JPs).

Still, it should be good enough to gig for quite a while. It definitely won't hold you back or fall apart on you.

Whether its a better deal twin a used Ibby depends in the Ibby in question. I know that's weasely, but that's the best I can say. I'm more familiar with their Artcores than their solidbody rockers, so I can't offer a good comparison.

Personally, I own a pair of Fernandes Ravelles, and I love them.* The one I bought new was flawless. The used one- identical in specs to the SHIN series- is a tonal killer, and despite being used by a gigging musician in NY, is still rock solid.

* an Elite and a limited edition, so up the quality scale from the Standards.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 4, 2014,
Quote by antipath

What do you guys reckon about this deal posted above?

Plan to go and try the guitar here in singapore tomorrow. if I like it do you reckon I should directly order (and ship it to a friend in philly now)? (i.e. is it that good of a deal?) or hold out for the used Ibanez's (about~100 dollar cheaper but used etc etc).

I appreciate the help and tough love, gentlemen.

That will be a good, solid guitar. I know 2 guys who play Fernandez guitars, one has a Ravelle and the other has the Monterey. really nice guitars when you consider what they sell for
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
@Dannyalcatraz - heard you loud and clear mate. I think I'll give fernandes a shot tomorrow, hope they have this make or something with a similar feel atleast.

@fastmerc, didnt get any pm?

I gotta say after playing an LTD for 9 years, the wizard on the S series/RG series ibanez feels right in there... hoping I can get similar or better feel with fernandez and I will pull the trigger and update you guys :P
Good luck!

Any opinions on fernandez action, neck vs ibanez? Thats one of the things I was also considering.

Also - any opinions on below would also be appreciated (all these are available as cheap used in good (visible) condition with extras):
RG321MH
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG321MH

RG3EX1
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG3EX1

RG2EX2
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG2EX2

And is the Gio series totally rubbish? Because this one is pretty much exactly what I wanted and well in my price range:
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/GRGA21
With this new system or whatever you have to go into your profile on the top right that is in the gray color....not the top right of the forum in white. I found out the white doesn't tell you whether your have messages or not for whatever reason.
Quote by antipath

And is the Gio series totally rubbish? Because this one is pretty much exactly what I wanted and well in my price range:
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/GRGA21

I would get something better than GIO, those are guitars made for begginers, try finding some of the regular Ibanez RGA models.