I was wondering what type of metronomes are used these days. Or which ones musician mostly use.

i use a wind up small one that I bought over 20 years ago. It works fine. But, I see a lot of new ones online that look electric or not the wind up type. Are those any better? And why?

Thank you.
Quote by jthabcd
I was wondering what type of metronomes are used these days. Or which ones musician mostly use.
Most musicians just don't use metronomes
Quote by jthabcd
i use a wind up small one that I bought over 20 years ago. It works fine. But, I see a lot of new ones online that look electric or not the wind up type. Are those any better? And why?
Some of them have a tap tempo feature and an audio out, so you can plug them into something that emits a louder sound.

Those are the only things I can think of.
Unless you had to play guitar at high volumes while listening to the metronome, I'd stick to the old one.
It's not like it'll go out of time or anything...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I bought one of those blue Korg ones. Hasn't failed me yet, although I haven't ever used the metronome, or the matching off-white tuner that Korg also has, in a live situation.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Spambot_2
It's not like it'll go out of time or anything...

Not that I expect this is common, but I have had a mechanical metronome go bad on me! It was about 40 years old and had been used heavily for most of that time. It started to return faster on one side than the other, so you'd get "ticktick...ticktick...ticktick" which made me think I was going insane for a few weeks before it got worse and became obvious. It was an old Taktell super mini, and I overwound it and carried it around in my case with the removable key wedged behind the pendulum arm. So it was almost certainly my fault but it can still happen.

I use a phone app called Mobile Metronome now. The benefit of mechanical metronomes is that you never need a battery, the benefit of electronic ones is versatility (triplets, time signatures, tap tempo etc) and a bit more volume, and usually a bit more portability. The phone basically combines the best of each - rechargeable battery, nothing extra to carry, tons of options, usually plenty of volume depending on your phone (and you can plug it into speakers if you need more). I think unless you have a very unusual circumstance it's tough to beat a good free/cheap phone metronome app. There are plenty of them out there.