So... I'm still trying to fill my new empty 4x12 cab. But I've spent so much on new toys lately that I can only buy speakers as I sell off other things, which is probably going to take a while. In the meantime, would it be ok to run my 4x12 with only two speakers (provided the total impedance matches my amp)?

If so, what would be the best way to do this? In a diagonal setup like a Marshall 2061 2x12 cab? Or could I just load the top two speakers and leave the bottom spots empty?

I'm willing to block off the two unused speaker holes if that would help keep the sound closer to normal. The easiest thing to do would be to block off the two bottom holes. I could block the diagonal holes but that would require more elaborate cutting.

Or would it be better to make a false "floor" across the middle of the cab, essentially making the top half it’s own 2x12? Or could I just roll up an old piece of foam or an old blanket and fill the bottom half that way? Whatever I do I want to make sure it's NOT a permanent mod, and I'm open to ideas...

Here's the cab so you can see what I’m working with, plus a gratuitous shot of my new amp because it’s sexy as hell

(FYI - The amp was on standby for the pic and it’s set on silent out for recording, so no comments about running the amp without a speaker load. Also, the black stuff on the inside of the cab is just excess black “fuzz” from when they applied the exterior, even though it looks like mold )

Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Apr 4, 2014,
you will be fine, just match the ohms
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
you will be fine, just match the ohms

Is there a preference to loading them in two spots side-by-side, or on a diagonal?

When I play at church I'm usually right behind a row of seats in the back (we're not up front like in some big churches). My smaller combo amps have gotten lost in the mix in the past because the sound just blasts into the back of the seats in front of me. So having both speakers in the top two spots could be good because my entire projection would be higher off the ground.

But... if that's a bad idea for some reason I'm open to suggestions...

Also, any preference on blocking the two extra holes vs. leaving them open?
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
Is there a preference to loading them in two spots side-by-side, or on a diagonal?

When I play at church I'm usually right behind a row of seats in the back (we're not up front like in some big churches). My smaller combo amps have gotten lost in the mix in the past because the sound just blasts into the back of the seats in front of me. So having both speakers higher would actually be a good thing (until I can afford to load all 4 in the cab)

But... if that's a bad idea for some reason I'm open to suggestions...

Also, any preference on blocking the two extra holes vs. leaving them open?

putting them both in the top will be fine, it will also help disperse the sound better.

I would just leave the bottom holes open, or it could get very boomy on the lowend (you will basically have a 2x12 open back cab)

A 4x12 for church is something I have not seen, mostly it is 1x12/1x10 combos with the occasional 2x12/2x10.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
putting them both in the top will be fine, it will also help disperse the sound better.

I would just leave the bottom holes open, or it could get very boomy on the lowend (you will basically have a 2x12 open back cab)

A 4x12 for church is something I have not seen, mostly it is 1x12/1x10 combos with the occasional 2x12/2x10.

Thanks. And yeah, it's totally overkill I know. I only picked up this cab because I saw it used locally for only $50 and it was in perfect shape. And it's a Hughes and Kettner, which matches my new amp head (a Tubemeister 36). I'm a sucker for matching gear. Plus the smaller cabinets I found looked like they had been thrown down a flight of stairs and then dragged across a gravel parking lot

Plus, I figured the 4x12 would help me project higher over the seats in front of me. I've tried propping combo amps on chairs before but that always makes me nervous with that many people walking by. I'm right in the path of the communion line...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2