I've had my first ever guitar over a year now. It's a Lorenzo and cost me around 100 quid. It was fine for when I was starting out but when I got my electric, it went under my bed only to be pulled out on the rare occasion. I just preferred the playability of the electric. Now over a year later I've had my passion for playing acoustic rekindled. I've been working on my voice as well as learning more acoustic songs. But the playability is putting me off. I can't get a great sound out of barre chords compared to the electric and it's just... not fun to play. So I've been researching and figured that a setup may be the best way to go. My local shop does one for £30. It's a great shop and I trust it but £30 is nearly a third of what I payed for the guitar... Is it worth it? Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thank-you.
Any guitar will benefit from a set-up.

OK - your guitar is nothing special but I would much (much, much) rather play a well set-up not particularly special guitar than a poorly set-up very special one.
Quote by Garthman
Any guitar will benefit from a set-up.

OK - your guitar is nothing special but I would much (much, much) rather play a well set-up not particularly special guitar than a poorly set-up very special one.

Ok thanks. I'll give it a go.
get it set up nice and low - or as low as you can before it buzzes. but before you do, decide what strings you prefer, as the tech who sets up your guitar will need to know that to do the best job.

btw, whether $35 or $3500, every guitar i've had played more comfortably right for me after a set up.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
get it set up nice and low - or as low as you can before it buzzes. but before you do, decide what strings you prefer, as the tech who sets up your guitar will need to know that to do the best job.

btw, whether $35 or $3500, every guitar i've had played more comfortably right for me after a set up.

Ok cheers.
I bought a Fender Sonoran, a lower end acoustic but for the price it was a good deal.
I played it for a while and then got a wild hair and decided to set it up myself. I'm no luthier but I have done it before.
I wish I had done it sooner. It turned a little old Fender in to a very nice playing guitar and I usually grab it first now to warm up or just to pick on for a while.
I had a professional set up my more expensive guitars but I figured I couldn't really mess this one up too bad and it gave me experience and I learned something along the way.
It was worth the effort to me.
Quote by dominicmilham
...[ ]... But the playability is putting me off. I can't get a great sound out of barre chords compared to the electric and it's just... not fun to play. So I've been researching and figured that a setup may be the best way to go. My local shop does one for £30. It's a great shop and I trust it but £30 is nearly a third of what I payed for the guitar... Is it worth it? Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thank-you.
Well, playing an electric all the time gives you, "sissy hands". Especially if you're stringing with an .009 to .042, "electric light", set

When you jump to an "acoustic light" set, the diameters are from .012 to .053. The overall basic tension jumps from less than 100 Lbs, to 165 Lbs for the acoustic.

None of this is meant to say a good setup won't do your acoustic worlds of good, it's just never going to play as easily as your electric.

So, try to approach acoustic guitar with a mindset of, "no pain, no gain". People develop callouses up the side of their index fingers, not just the tips, when confronted with heavier strings and a bunch of grand barres.

You'll probably surprise yourself about how many pitches you'll be able to bend, when you pick up the electric again.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 5, 2014,
Hi, this is my first post, so it is as much an experiment in posting as anything.

I've been playing acoustics for over 50 years, and I would echo Garthman's advice that the absolute first thing you need in a guitar is a good set up. Tone, looks, price and anything else you can think of are secondary to that.
Quote by Tony Done
Hi, this is my first post, so it is as much an experiment in posting as anything.

I've been playing acoustics for over 50 years, and I would echo Garthman's advice that the absolute first thing you need in a guitar is a good set up. Tone, looks, price and anything else you can think of are secondary to that.

Hey Tony!

Good to see you.
Quote by Tony Done
Thanks.

I'm a Usenetter from way back, and used to free speech. Some (expletive) AGF moderator edited two of my posts without my permission. It isn't going to happen a third time.

I suspect that AGF employs 12 year old kids as moderators.