So here is the deal. I'm going back to school to finish a degree in music, and I'm moving away.

I want something that I can just throw on my back and take with me to get different sounds without having to worry about what amp is in the room, or lugging my pedals with me.

I have some experience with the Kemper and the 11rack. While the Kemper is amazing it is wayy to expensive for my needs.

Basically I wanna know from PODHD owners how happy with it are you? I've looked through some youtube stuff but its hard to get a real grasp.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
If you are just concerned with good tones on the go, the POD will be perfect for you. Spending the extra $ on the X isn't worth it though. The effects are okay, but the amp/cab modelling is incredible.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The effects are the same as on the M series no?

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by McLeod

Not quite that caliber. I know guys who have the money usually do a POD for their distortions and an M13 or M9 in the FX loop for effects. That's besides the point. Still a great board, go for it. Although if you're more concerned about effects the Boss GT-10 is better at that. But the distortion tones don't even tough the POD. A lot of people say it's like playing through a cocked back wah the whole time. Overall, the POD's better at effects than the GT is at distortion.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yeah I wasn't even gonna look at the Boss, I think the Line 6 has the higher end modelers beat in this case, just because the ease of use. I'm sure for this application the Pod's effects will be more than enough.

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
I've pod hd 300, don't think I'll be needing any gear other than that for both playing/recording for a decade or more.
Quote by McLeod

Eckchoowally, I think so, yes. At least some of them. Certainly in the HD500 (won't swear to anything in the HD500x). The early advertising (and specs) state "over 100 M-Class effects." Line 6 has dropped the "M" business in their marketing copy for the -x series, but it's still in everything that's not an X product.
Quote by McLeod
So here is the deal. I'm going back to school to finish a degree in music, and I'm moving away.

I want something that I can just throw on my back and take with me to get different sounds without having to worry about what amp is in the room, or lugging my pedals with me.

Basically I wanna know from PODHD owners how happy with it are you? I've looked through some youtube stuff but its hard to get a real grasp.

I'm using both the bean (Pod HD) and the HD500x. The bean can be used with an FBV Express II (four foot switches,a tuner display and an expression pedal) or with the Shortboard, but if you're not playing live, neither is required. Both are useful for passing MIDI information, however, and you might find that useful at some point. I've just stashed the Pod bean in a gig back pocket along with some cables and a good set of headphones and I'm off. Very handy.
I have a POD HD Desktop, and I think the effects are excellent, but so far I'm unimpressed by the amp and cab modeling. There seems to be a fizziness inherent in all of the cabinet impulses that's especially evident in higher gain settings. They boast about their HD amp models, and the preamps are really good when paired with decent external IRs, but a preamp is only as good as the cabinet it's paired with. Also the EQs aren't very intuitive; they use % values instead of Hz values, and the Mid Focus and Parametric blocks could easily be streamlined into one block. The Eleven Rack looks like a much better unit and I'm going to be selling my POD to get one.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
I had the 11rack that I borrowed and the problem is it is too reliant on protools.

I have borrowed a POD HD500, anyone have any good patches?

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by bassmastamitch
I have a POD HD Desktop, and I think the effects are excellent, but so far I'm unimpressed by the amp and cab modeling. There seems to be a fizziness inherent in all of the cabinet impulses that's especially evident in higher gain settings. They boast about their HD amp models, and the preamps are really good when paired with decent external IRs, but a preamp is only as good as the cabinet it's paired with. Also the EQs aren't very intuitive; they use % values instead of Hz values, and the Mid Focus and Parametric blocks could easily be streamlined into one block. The Eleven Rack looks like a much better unit and I'm going to be selling my POD to get one.

Yea the cab modeling is god awful in the one I got today. And yea, I had that complaint with the EQ as well. I'll probably be returning it tomorrow, as it doesn't work as well as a MIDI controller as I had hoped it would either. The amp modeling is okay, but nothing great. Keep in mind I've had an AxeII, and will probably be going back to one though, so my standards are really high. The effects are just okay too. The reverbs and delays are above average, everything else is meh. Got it for $390 new after taxes at the GC Outlet, and they gave me a $75 gift card, so I really couldn't complain if I only had $400.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by McLeod
I had the 11rack that I borrowed and the problem is it is too reliant on protools.

I have borrowed a POD HD500, anyone have any good patches?

I'm in the process of making a Devin Townsend Project/Strapping Young Lad tone out of the "Heavy Chords" patch.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by McLeod

In what way? AFAIK Pro Tools doesn't add anything to the 11R besides a more intuitive interface (besides recording & reamping, of course.) It's built to work as a standalone unit.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
In that you can't update, or use the editor without protools.

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by McLeod
In that you can't update, or use the editor without protools.

Drivers: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/Eleven-Rack-Drivers

Firmware (not necessary if you get the expansion pack because that comes with the latest): http://www.avid.com/US/search?q=%22eleven+rack+firmware%22&site=kbase&filter=0&subfilters=downloads

Standalone Editor: http://apps.avid.com/eleven-rack/

You can find Eleven Racks on Ebay for ~$375 without Pro Tools
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter