I went over to a friend's house yesterday to check out some of his new gear and have him tweak my son's guitar a bit.

He has an awesome set-up.....a free standing, heated & cooled, building 100 ft from his home.

Inside is a toy store for musicians. His band's gear is set up with all their recording gear, PA system, mikes and etc. It's super nice. He's spent a lot of time and effort getting this place built and finished off.

Anyway, to my point. He's just gone and bought his "bucket list" amp, a Mesa Mark V head and slanted cab.

I simply couldn't believe the sounds he was getting from it with zero foot pedals in use.....other than the main control pedal.

He was jamming everything from Santanna, Randy Rhoads, Led Zeppelin, Skynyrd to Yngwie Malmsteen, by just switching channels and making slight adjustments.

He did it all on his 25 yr old Kramer that's been his main guitar over the years. He has an EVH Wolfgang in a stand right beside the Mesa....but that Kramer is his bread and butter.

After hearing what he can do with it......I see why

He'd hit certain licks that made it growl like the dragon from The Hobbit and then go into a death march.....only to come out into a bluesy-balsy section that had us tapping our feet in time. This thing is a beast that delivered.

The amp was very impressive. I can see why it was one he always wanted. I can imagine it handling any and every type of gig they'd play. He said it was way overkill for what he needed......but it there was simply too much WANT for it to not get it.

I applaud his logic.

One of the features that I really liked was the toggle switch on the head....allowed him to drop it from full wattage, 1/2 wattage down to either 10 or 15 watts.

It sounded truly rich and full at each of these levels.

I guess that particular feature really enthused me knowing that it's available on Mesa's smaller combo amps. One day that may be a new amp consideration for me. A 50 watt combo would be almost unusable around my own house.....but toggling the switch to....say.....5 or 15 watts would be the sweet spot. I can stay in the good graces of my wife and neighbors while still enjoying the sounds I want.

His band is getting together today for practice and I may drop in and listen. I'm interested in seeing how he tames down this new beast and integrates it with everyone else's amps. I'm not sure what the other two guitarists are using for amps. I know they are combo tube amps....just not sure which ones. He has a nice PA system and mike stands positioned in several spots.

He also had a full drum kit set up on a raised platform with a 3/4 shield around it.

I'm telling you this place is a playground for the musically inspired. I had to keep close watch on my 14 year old as he was oohing and ahhing over the bass, acoustic and other gear......looking hard and not touching too much. My buddy was really cool, though, and encouraged him to grab something and go at it. That is exactly the kind of encouragement I was hoping my son would get. He's a month into his lessons and really enjoying it.

Hanging out there for while had me pumped up and ready to get home and make some noise.

That Mesa was one sexy beast. I don't know how he sleeps at night....knowing she's under another roof entirely......out there waiting to be turned on and played with.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Yeah a high end mesa sounds awesome. This is hardly news
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Or an address?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Agreed, pics or it's a Spider in an outhouse
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Have you seen what a Mesa Mark V costs? For that price it damn well better be as good as you're saying.
The Mark V is highly flexible. I just wish you could switch modes through the footswitch, and recall settings.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by 757ian123
Have you seen what a Mesa Mark V costs? For that price it damn well better be as good as you're saying.

They are not that bad (price wise) considering the quality of the amp. There are way more expensive amps out there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 757ian123

You can get them for 1400-1800 depending on condition. Well worth the money for home playing or gigging.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by classicrocker01
Agreed, pics or it's a Spider in an outhouse

I'll most likely be going by there next week a couple times.

I'll get some pics !!!
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by Robbgnarly
They are not that bad (price wise) considering the quality of the amp. There are way more expensive amps out there

My bad, just googled the price. I was thinking they were like 3500 for some reason.
Man, they're $5k over here. Tbh, as much as I love my RM100, if a Mark V had been the same price I'd have bought a Mark V. I aint paying no $5K, I got the RM100 for around $2k ($3k with the extra modules. Big difference.
I'm that guy who loads $5k worth of gear into a $1k car to go to a $50 gig. There has to be a limit though and $5k for the amp alone is getting beyond ridiculous.

And yeah, photos or it's an MG.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 5, 2014,
I just picked up a used one for 1600$. I got tired of buying cheaper amps but never being fully satisfied. Should of just bought this damn thing in the first place. I am inspired to play more just because of the sound of this thing.
Quote by Cathbard
Man, they're $5k over here. Tbh, as much as I love my RM100, if a Mark V had been the same price I'd have bought a Mark V. I aint paying no $5K, I got the RM100 for around $2k ($3k with the extra modules. Big difference.
I'm that guy who loads $5k worth of gear into a $1k car to go to a $50 gig. There has to be a limit though and $5k for the amp alone is getting beyond ridiculous.

And yeah, photos or it's an MG.

yeah you guys get screwed on prices, we can get mark I/II/II/IV's here used for <$1000
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't get screwed as bad as people overseas, but where I live is about as bad as it gets in the States. Craigslist here sucks for guitar stuff, ac30's go for 800, deluxe reverb's for 850, american tele's 900, etc.

Virginia Beach, the magical land where nothing loses value.
Ben Wienman of Dillinger Escape Plan runs 4 or 5 Mark Vs for his live rig, and they play everything from clean jazz to icepick to the ears screeching distortion. Not surprised you were so impressed haha.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Ben Wienman of Dillinger Escape Plan runs 4 or 5 Mark Vs for his live rig, and they play everything from clean jazz to icepick to the ears screeching distortion. Not surprised you were so impressed haha.

My friend's band plays a lot of classic Southern rock and bluesy stuff, but he likes jamming on heavier stuff when it's just him.

He says he often gets home from a long and stressful day at work and goes straight into the shop.....grabs a cold beer or three while the amp is warming up....snatches his old Kramer off the wall and lets it freaking rip for thirty minutes as loud as he wants....then heads into the house in a much more relaxed frame of mind.

Sounds like great damn therapy to me.

As far as cost goes....all I know is that he bought it brand new from a local shop. I didn't get into all that with him....it's really none of my business. He wanted it....works hard.....has too few hobbies and went for it. He's got the place to let it cut loose, too.

I could see myself with that 4x12 cab in the bedroom that my son and I are going to convert into our man cave. We'd blow the freaking windows out with that beast.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
I bought my mark V new while visiting family in Oregon to skip the CA tax. I had a combo and used a few cabs at home. While I really liked the channel 3 channels 1&2 really drove to play cleans like I had never played. Dirty cleans thorough fat smooth cleans. Simply amazing. It was great at any volume.

I nearly picked up a used one again last week but my cat got sick. Luckily I didn't get it, just spent 3k on surgery for my cat. Hope the little guy makes it. Still not out of the woods.

Maybe later this year I'll pick one up. I sold mine to free up cash when I got married and I had like 3 or 4 amps sitting around at the time. School is also inhibiting me from getting another... 1600 a class sucks.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
My cat gets sick and I'll get it a .45, I have Ol'yellerd more than one pet since I was a kid.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by R45VT
I bought my mark V new while visiting family in Oregon to skip the CA tax. I had a combo and used a few cabs at home. While I really liked the channel 3 channels 1&2 really drove to play cleans like I had never played. Dirty cleans thorough fat smooth cleans. Simply amazing. It was great at any volume.

I nearly picked up a used one again last week but my cat got sick. Luckily I didn't get it, just spent 3k on surgery for my cat. Hope the little guy makes it. Still not out of the woods.

Maybe later this year I'll pick one up. I sold mine to free up cash when I got married and I had like 3 or 4 amps sitting around at the time. School is also inhibiting me from getting another... 1600 a class sucks.

Marriage and classes......ouch.

Such are the priorities of real life, I suppose. Good thing is that classes will finish up at some point.

Saving the funds on taxes really make mail ordering an amp seem tempting.....I'd save $150 just in taxes alone. That and the prices would probably be better. It is good to support the local spots, too, though. At least one of them will price match with most online places, too.

Quote by Robbgnarly
My cat gets sick and I'll get it a .45, I have Ol'yellerd more than one pet since I was a kid.

Oh no....not the .45.

I can relate to R45VT on the vet bills. Recently had to get some surgery for one of our dogs. Thumped my wallet something fierce.....but she's a great dog and I never gave it a second of thought.
Attachments:
nU1HXN7.jpg
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Apr 6, 2014,
^ Cute dogs. Hopefully all is well with it. I didn't bat an eye either. I might be more attached to him than the wife.

He is doing better than yesterday. Both cats managed to get a nasty cold on top of surgery for the one here:

I feel it is Mark V related.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 6, 2014,
Quote by DubfromGA
Marriage and classes......ouch.

Such are the priorities of real life, I suppose. Good thing is that classes will finish up at some point.

Saving the funds on taxes really make mail ordering an amp seem tempting.....I'd save $150 just in taxes alone. That and the prices would probably be better. It is good to support the local spots, too, though. At least one of them will price match with most online places, too.

Oh no....not the .45.

I can relate to R45VT on the vet bills. Recently had to get some surgery for one of our dogs. Thumped my wallet something fierce.....but she's a great dog and I never gave it a second of thought.

Surgery to remove schauzers conjoined at the nose?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
^well played.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13