Page 1 of 2
Hey folks,

I backed this on kickstarter almost 3 weeks ago and I was just wondering if any of you had actually heard about it, since there was no mention of it in any threads or anything (as far as I know)

It's a music player conceived by Neil Young and has the backing of a large amount of huge names in the music industry such as Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, Elton John, Grateful Dead, Obviously Neil Young Himself, Crosby Stills and Nash, Willie Nelson, Kings of Leon, James Taylor, My Morning Jacket, Tom Petty, Metallica, Lyle Lovett, Mumford and Sons, Kenny Rodgers, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Arcade Fire, Beck, Portugal the Man, Foo Fighters, Lenny Kravitz, and so on..

The promise is that the music player will be playing audio at a very very high quality, similar to or indeed better than vinyl, but it will be portable. They claim that it is around 50 times better audio quality than an ipod and all that..

The whole thing is very convincing and all these musicians and producers say that it's like hearing music in a studio, the way it was meant to be heard..

I was wondering if you had even heard about it, because i was all "Omgz.." when i heard about it, since i always felt like mp3 was so muddy.

This is not some shitty commercial. It's already backed by 5.45 million dollars when they asked for 800.000 dollars.

Just seemed weird that a forum of music lovers weren't talking about it.

Have you heard about it? Have you backed it? Do you believe it will live up to its promises..??

Link to the kickstarter:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music

Sorry if this seems like a commercial, but i feel like i'm doing y'all a favor in showing it to you
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
It looks stupid as shit and seems like it was made to lure in dadrockers who don't know much about technology just because it says "Neil Young + a bunch of old people like this"

FLAC files already exist anyway, the design is awful and would be painful to carry in your pockets, and you would burn through 128 GB of music fast anyway if you only put lossless files on it.
Looks like a Toblerone.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by darkcheef
It looks stupid as shit and seems like it was made to lure in dadrockers who don't know much about technology just because it says "Neil Young + a bunch of old people like this"

FLAC files already exist anyway, the design is awful and would be painful to carry in your pockets, and you would burn through 128 GB of music fast anyway if you only put lossless files on it.

Listen... Pono is not a file format.. It is a music player that allows you to listen to music in much higher quality than any phone or ipod allows you to. An ipod would never be able to play music in such high quality.

It's not inventing new formats, but allows you to listen to truly hq formats on the go. Thats what makes it special..

Agreed, the design isn't amazing, however it's really small so the triangular shape shouldn't be too annoying, and who cares anyway, you won't spend all your time looking at it, but you'll be listening to your favorite music at a really great quality, all the while you don't have to stay fixed in one spot.

I thought the premise was pretty nice...
Quote by Fisheth24
Looks like a Toblerone.

Yep Unless you get one of the pretty expensive limited editions... so shiny
The only reason this is looking like it could take off is because suits in marketing don't like the sound of flac player and wav player.

Also they'll fill up your player fast which was the whole purpose of compressed music to begin with.

I'm not hyped at all for this.
Last edited by stratkat at Apr 5, 2014,
Quote by stratkat
The only reason this is looking like it could take off is because suits in marketing don't like the sound of flac player and wav player.

Also they'll fill up your player fast which was the whole purpose of compressed music to begin with.

Well, Nobody wanted to make the Pono because all the suits thought it was too much of a "niche" market. That's why it went to kickstarter. They couldn't see it take off. Neil isn't making any money off of it, and none of the other big names are either. They just support it, they aren't taking royalties. That's why i believe it will be good. They aren't getting paid to say what they are saying, and they are still saying it..

And it isn't all "old" names in there.. If you watch the kickstarter video with the testimonials you'll see

And ofc. im trying to defend my purchase :p
The idea for uncompressed music on the go isn't a bad one, it's just not that original either.

With the price/expansion of data storage I figured it's inevitable people will move to less compressed songs...or be stoked they can fit 1,000,000+ mp3s on their ipod with 3 tb.
Last edited by stratkat at Apr 5, 2014,
Quote by MarcFlink
Listen... Pono is not a file format.. It is a music player that allows you to listen to music in much higher quality than any phone or ipod allows you to. An ipod would never be able to play music in such high quality.

It's not inventing new formats, but allows you to listen to truly hq formats on the go. Thats what makes it special..

Agreed, the design isn't amazing, however it's really small so the triangular shape shouldn't be too annoying, and who cares anyway, you won't spend all your time looking at it, but you'll be listening to your favorite music at a really great quality, all the while you don't have to stay fixed in one spot.

I thought the premise was pretty nice...

lol are you serious? Tons of phones can play FLAC files, this isn't 2006 anymore. The Pono is dumb shit made for people who will probably be listening to the music anyway through shitty $10 headphones
Quote by darkcheef
lol are you serious? Tons of phones can play FLAC files, this isn't 2006 anymore. The Pono is dumb shit made for people who will probably be listening to the music anyway through shitty $10 headphones

Like i just mentioned, it's perhaps a niche market, at that market will be made up of music lovers who actually cares, and actually owns proper headphones. And the quality that the Pono plays isn't just regular flac files but of a very high quality, that NO un-modified phone will be able to run. That's a fact.
Quote by Jako215
Unsuspecting teens try Pono - College kids and middle aged people are now teens?

Yeah, that video is kind of weird :p

The kickstarter video is good though.
is that a pono in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

no really though how the hell are you meant to carry that thing around?
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

I'm starting a kickstarter for a jacket that has a PONO pocket (patent pending)
I'll set the goal to 100,000
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

From what i understand, the player is pretty small (there are some pictures on the kickstarter with comparisons to other stuff)

So i don't think it'll be much of a problem.. I'll just carry it around in my jacket pocked instead of the trouser pockets.. Should solve potential problems with comfort
There's no reason for listening to audio at this mentally high of a resolution. Anything over 96kHz/24 bits is a waste of time and even that is only important when recording for additional dynamic range to play around with when mixing. For listening, the CD standard of 44.1kHz/16bits is more than fine.

CD lossless quality recordings (44.1 kHz/16 bit): About 5000 tracks.
High-resolution recordings (48 kHz/24 bit): About 3200 tracks.
Higher-resolution recordings (96 kHz/24 bit): About 1600 tracks.
Ultra-high resolution recordings (192 kHz/24 bit): About 800 tracks.

MAYBE you could hear the difference between the first two resolutions, but you definitely wouldn't hear the difference between any of the last three. It's a waste of disk space. The last one is just plain stupid. Who even records at that sample rate?
Quote by darkcheef
The Pono is dumb shit made for people who will probably be listening to the music anyway through shitty $10 headphones

That's the solution, better quality headphones. Phones and modern mp3 players work just fine or even better than the mp3 players from just 5yrs ago. The problem is that people use the crappiest ear/headphones. Try upgrading to even some mid-level in-ear headphones and you'll notice a different in quality immediately.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
my ipod can play 16 bit WAV and it's old as the wind. It's my understanding that newer ones can play 24Bit and maybe even 32 but not sure about that one. So yeah, as good as this idea sounds, everyone better get $500 headphones too or this isnt going to matter.

But I hope they do. Really. Let's start a kickstarter to raise money for everyone's new headphones. Then there wont be any excuse for people to make shitty crushed music anymore and all those stupid trends will die and everyone will be happy. The end.

See, Neil is just a dreamer guys
lel what a joke
i mean flac is a nice placebo and all but it's actually kind of sad that all of these people are buying into this
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
There's no reason for listening to audio at this mentally high of a resolution. Anything over 96kHz/24 bits is a waste of time and even that is only important when recording for additional dynamic range to play around with when mixing. For listening, the CD standard of 44.1kHz/16bits is more than fine.

MAYBE you could hear the difference between the first two resolutions, but you definitely wouldn't hear the difference between any of the last three. It's a waste of disk space. The last one is just plain stupid. Who even records at that sample rate?

That's what the whole thing is really about. Changing the ethics of a lazy industry, so that artists can actually realize their visions without lazy producers saying (nobody will hear that anyway) I believe these artists when they say that the difference is clear. They have no strings attached to the project, other than supporting the idea and thought that Pono stands for. Guys like Springsteen and Dave Grohl, or Neil Young for that matter, wouldn't say this stuff if it wasn't true, and they don't have to, but they do it anyway, because they believe in the vision..

Those guys don't talk bullshit and they aren't owned by anyone commercially. That's why i believe it. They have no reason to lie. They are incredibly genuine and why would they ever want to risk their reputations without any gain (perhaps neil has something to gain, but none of the others do).

I think it makes perfect sense.
Quote by jmako
my ipod can play 16 bit WAV and it's old as the wind. It's my understanding that newer ones can play 24Bit and maybe even 32 but not sure about that one. So yeah, as good as this idea sounds, everyone better get $500 headphones too or this isnt going to matter.

But I hope they do. Really. Let's start a kickstarter to raise money for everyone's new headphones. Then there wont be any excuse for people to make shitty crushed music anymore and all those stupid trends will die and everyone will be happy. The end.

See, Neil is just a dreamer guys

Thank you for understanding the whole point of the project. Kinda.
Last edited by MarcFlink at Apr 5, 2014,
If you use ear buds, either you're one of those people who can't wear headphones, or you're trying to hide it as school/work.

Every other situation calls for over ear headphones.
Quote by marcwormjim
Whether or not the adopters are literate in the subject of codec-compression, if PONO sounds better to your ears, then good for you - You can trust your ears. It's your brain that's gullible.

http://evolver.fm/2012/10/04/guest-opinion-why-24192-music-downloads-make-no-sense/

Rule of marketing #1: Humans will settle for less, if it's cool.

everybody needs to read this
It's a product that's trying to create a problem. There's no real need for high resolution music in a portable player. 16bit/44.1kHz, redbook standard is, frankly, good enough. High resolution tracks are expensive, take up a lot of space, and the only real benefit to 24bit is when your volume control is in the digital realm.
Quote by MarcFlink
That's what the whole thing is really about. Changing the ethics of a lazy industry, so that artists can actually realize their visions without lazy producers saying (nobody will hear that anyway) I believe these artists when they say that the difference is clear. They have no strings attached to the project, other than supporting the idea and thought that Pono stands for. Guys like Springsteen and Dave Grohl, or Neil Young for that matter, wouldn't say this stuff if it wasn't true, and they don't have to, but they do it anyway, because they believe in the vision..

Those guys don't talk bullshit and they aren't owned by anyone commercially. That's why i believe it. They have no reason to lie. They are incredibly genuine and why would they ever want to risk their reputations without any gain (perhaps neil has something to gain, but none of the others do).

I think it makes perfect sense.

But like... science and facts and shit disagree with them.
I'm just going to wait for it to be released for a while first and then see if its worth it.

Also OP, its had a fair amount of low level marketing.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by MarcFlink
From what i understand, the player is pretty small (there are some pictures on the kickstarter with comparisons to other stuff)

So i don't think it'll be much of a problem.. I'll just carry it around in my jacket pocked instead of the trouser pockets.. Should solve potential problems with comfort

I don't have any jackets that have pockets, And I'm not about to change my wardrobe because they made a music player as wonky as ****ing possible
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by MarcFlink

And he was saying that they are music players that already play FLAC files.

You made a complaint about mp3 files. The reason those can sometimes sound muddy (although they don't typically, if the song was well-mixed and the music player you're using is good) is because they're compressed music files. What I mean is, the size of the file is smaller than a FLAC file, which means that less detail is retained.

Anyway, there's really no reason for PONO (or other music players like it), since we already have good quality music players.
Come ****in' on, it's just an overpriced mp3 (plus whatever formats) player with a very overpriced DAC inside + a high quality online music store.

Guess what?

Stuff like that already exists!

The rest is marketing.
In the section "I'm an audiophile, why would I want one of these?" they wrote about their minimum phase DSP stuff and high quality audio converter.
You know, they write it's a DAC among the best DAC's and audiophiles know that, and they casually forget to write what DAC that is.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Fisheth24
Looks like a Toblerone.

A Toblerone with FLAC capability. What's not to like?
Just buy a portable external dac for your phone if you're really worried about that level of quality on the move (in noisy environments where you properly won't hear the difference.)

The difference between 320kbps mp3 and flac is only noticeable when really listening in a controlled environment with good headphones/equipment.

As said before, a good pair of headphones will make more difference than anything else.
Last edited by Tune my fork at Apr 5, 2014,
Quote by captainsnazz
everybody needs to read this

Exactly

"In 554 trials, listeners chose correctly 49.8% of the time. In other words, they were guessing. Not one listener throughout the entire test was able to identify which was 16/44.1 and which was high rate [15], and the 16-bit signal wasn’t even dithered!"

"Why push back against 24/192? Because it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, a business model based on willful ignorance and scamming people."
Last edited by Tune my fork at Apr 5, 2014,
I don't know enough about this stuff for me to have an opinion. Also I got into music listening to like obscure 80s hardcore bands, so it's not like I really give a shit about sound quality. I'd rather listen to music on my phone, where I can also email, text, and browse the internet.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Page 1 of 2