So I made a pre-emptive strike in my sig by saying I have a POD HD500, but I am getting one later today. Recommend me some patch settings! Anything! I play blues, jam, thrash/extreme/progressive metal, dj0nt, reggae, ska, ska-core, punk. Anything but country lol.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
So I made a pre-emptive strike in my sig by saying I have a POD HD500, but I am getting one later today. Recommend me some patch settings! Anything! I play blues, jam, thrash/extreme/progressive metal, dj0nt, reggae, ska, ska-core, punk. Anything but country lol.

Don't toss country out with the bathwater; there are some badass players in that mix, and "new country" is a lot of "classic rock." Better yet, there are some VERY usable sounds coming out of that genre.

Go to the Line 6 site, get your HD500 registered, check out the specific form for your unit, and log onto the "Custom tone" site, which is essentially a library of patches uploaded by both Line 6 and a kajillion of Line 6 users. If you put in a request for something specific, you'll probably get aimed at another half-dozen sites that have similar libraries of stuff.

Find a Line 6 user named "meambobbo." Wait, I can do better: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ Poke around in there and play with the silly thing until you go blind. He'll save you so much time getting started.
Can I still do that even if I buy it used? Do I need to buy additional software/cables?
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Can I still do that even if I buy it used? Do I need to buy additional software/cables?

If the previous user didn't register it on the Line 6 site, you can register it used. If he DID register it, you can ask him to unregister it and then you can re-register it.

If he gives you everything that came with the unit new, you'll only need ordinary guitar cables from your guitar to the unit and from the unit back to whatever you're using for an amp.

There IS software that you'll want to download (it's free), and the Line Monkey software will keep you up to date on what's recently been released. There's software that will allow you to maintain a library of patches and shuffle them in and out of your HD (I've done "set lists" of patches and moved through them mostly sequentially during a gig).

You may need a Variax cable if you're working with one of those guitars. You can actually build them (they're ethernet cables, but you'll want the strain relief Neutrik ends that Line 6 provides), and I'd suggest that if you're playing out.
Quote by TheStig1214

I bought mine used and had no problems registering it but I don't know if the previous user registered it. You will need a USB cable to connect it to your PC if it doesn't come with it (mine didn't)
So I got my POD. Super steal too. New old stock for the price of used (I guess because the 500s don't sell because the 500X is out). Loving the depth of the amp and tone modelling. I guess I'm the perfect candidate for a Fractal . Seriously, loving this thing to no end. I just wish getting stuff absolutely perfect wasn't so time consuming. I suppose it will get better one I know what everything does.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
So I got my POD. Super steal too. New old stock for the price of used (I guess because the 500s don't sell because the 500X is out). Loving the depth of the amp and tone modelling. I guess I'm the perfect candidate for a Fractal . Seriously, loving this thing to no end. I just wish getting stuff absolutely perfect wasn't so time consuming. I suppose it will get better one I know what everything does.

Have a read through this, it should help you understand the beast, and it has a pretty impressive patches section at the end.