Hey guys I'm not sure if i put this thread in the right place. Now on to my question i own a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and i had it for awhile now and i cant seem to get a good tone out of it and first off i don't max out my gain like 99% of the people who have it. I mainly play songs like Metallica, Slayer, Nuclear Assault, Pantera, and that sorta style anyway can you guys Leave me Suggestions on what settings i should use and mainly Settings for the Best tone Available For my Boss Mt-2 and on another note I'm pretty sure i have dialed it in correctly but how do i "Dial" My Boss Metal Zone to my amp? anyway Thanks Guys

My Gear

-Bill Lawrence L500XL Pickups Bridge (Bill & Becky) Model
-Randall RH100 G2
-Schecter Gryphon
-Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
-Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Last edited by thrashhabbit666 at Apr 5, 2014,
Use the amps distortion instead of the pedal.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
Use the amps distortion instead of the pedal.

Yeah i tried the amps distortion and it always songs "Metal" Like playing with a penny not Heavy metal i'll upload some guitar tracks and believe it or not m pedals distortion sounds more to life.
The best that pedal will ever sound is when unplugged and placed in the box it came in.

Seriously, the MT-2 is worthless -- I know from experience.

You have a nice amp. Sell or trade your MT-2 for an overdrive pedal, plug it in between your guitar and amp input, set the pedal gain on zero/volume maxed, and run it though your lead channel. Be prepared for it to sound 100X better than your MT-2.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
The best that pedal will ever sound is when unplugged and placed in the box it came in.

You have a nice amp. Sell or trade your MT-2 for an overdrive pedal, plug it in between your guitar and amp input, set the pedal gain on zero/volume maxed, and run it though your lead channel. Be prepared for it to sound 100X better than your MT-2.

Thanks Guys And here is an Guitar Track of the only Decent tone i can find http://picosong.com/exXx and btw i defiantly wont trying to hard lol and btw here is another track just ignore the screeching my pickup was to close to my pc http://picosong.com/exjd/
Last edited by thrashhabbit666 at Apr 5, 2014,
You can use Mt2 as clean boost with gain off and volume over halfway to boost your amps distortion but the result is more messy cannibal corpse than tight metallica or slayer. Trade it for Boss SD-1 or Bad Monkey. Set your pedal with gain low or off and volume over halfway to max (depending how hard you want to boost) and keep the gain on amp on crunchy ACDC levels. The pedal will kick it into metal territory.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by KailM

Have you ever heard the Deizel mod?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Have you ever heard the Deizel mod?

No. Does it sound 10 X better than stock? Because that's how good a decent boosted amp's distortion can be. I have no doubt there are distortion pedals out there that can sound decent. But the MT-2 ain't one of 'em. A good distortion pedal will run close to $200+....at which point you'd better consider what amp you own.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
No. Does it sound 10 X better than stock? Because that's how good a decent boosted amp's distortion can be. I have no doubt there are distortion pedals out there that can sound decent. But the MT-2 ain't one of 'em. A good distortion pedal will run close to $200+....at which point you'd better consider what amp you own.

It basically makes the Metal Zone sound how it should when you buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZGS1Rg1W0s
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^^That does sound a lot better. However, after spending money on the mod I'm sure you could have just gotten a better pedal to begin with. I know money can be an issue, but my advice to anyone looking for a good metal tone is to hold out for a good amp that gets them 90% of the way there, and then add pedals to fine-tune.

I spent 16+ years playing with crap tone and the last straw was with a Marshall MG halfstack and a metalzone pedal. Then I found UG and was steered toward a Peavey 6505. The first time I played through one was a life-changing experience. That's all I need to say about that.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Use the metal zone as a boost, start with the gain at zero and the other controls at noon, then adjust the non-gain controls to taste your welcome.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by KailM
^^That does sound a lot better. However, after spending money on the mod I'm sure you could have just gotten a better pedal to begin with. I know money can be an issue, but my advice to anyone looking for a good metal tone is to hold out for a good amp that gets them 90% of the way there, and then add pedals to fine-tune.

I spent 16+ years playing with crap tone and the last straw was with a Marshall MG halfstack and a metalzone pedal. Then I found UG and was steered toward a Peavey 6505. The first time I played through one was a life-changing experience. That's all I need to say about that.

You can buy those capacitors/diodes at a hobby shop for about $5 total. Or find them in old radios. That's where a guy in another vid says he finds a lot of his resistors, diodes and capacitors for mods. Soldering equipment can be a bit of money but someone you know has to have one lying around their house. It's one of those things you need for house maintenance.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
No... a soldering iron is NOT something 98% of people need for doing things around the house. Lol.

But anyway, you could pick up a cheap soldering iron and solder sucker for probably $15. And you would have to be an idiot to use capacities and diodes out of used equipment. Those component can go bad you know. And you can pick them up from mouser or digitec for literally pennies. Guaranteed you will pay more for shipping then for the parts themselves. You could get everything you need for the upgrade for less then 25$ and the pedal is already money spent that you will never recoup. So in my opinion its worth a try.
Quote by Smigzy
No... a soldering iron is NOT something 98% of people need for doing things around the house. Lol.

But anyway, you could pick up a cheap soldering iron and solder sucker for probably $15. And you would have to be an idiot to use capacities and diodes out of used equipment. Those component can go bad you know. And you can pick them up from mouser or digitec for literally pennies. Guaranteed you will pay more for shipping then for the parts themselves. You could get everything you need for the upgrade for less then 25$ and the pedal is already money spent that you will never recoup. So in my opinion its worth a try.

Nonetheless, most people I know have a soldering iron. Also, I've ripped capacitors and the like out of broken DVD players and other audio/video equipment with no issue. Buying new would obviously be better, though.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I have a few soldering irons kicking around house, temperature controlled and all. Doesn't everyone? I give the cheap ones out to family for stocking stuffers. I need tools to works and fix my brother stuffs when I visit.

Why not spend $15 on a soldering iron and a few parts.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 6, 2014,
Quote by KailM

His statement is completely true. The MT-2 is a horrible tone-sucker, treble booster, overkill distortion pedal. Your amp should be able to produce good enough distoriton for you im guessing. But if you want a really good distortion pedal for metal (and pretty much everything else), I'd recommend the ProCo Rat Distortion. Its got TONS of tones for blues to death metal. Check it out. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/pro-co-rat2-distortion-pedal
Lol at everyone having a soldering iron.

But yeah, I own a Marshall MG and think it sounds good and I will even admit the Metal Zone sounds terrible. You should probably try selling it for whatever you can get, or attempt the mods if you know how to solder.
Quote by 757ian123
Lol at everyone having a soldering iron.

But yeah, I own a Marshall MG and think it sounds good and I will even admit the Metal Zone sounds terrible. You should probably try selling it for whatever you can get, or attempt the mods if you know how to solder.

I could fix your MG pretty quickly. Dump the PCB and build a proper amp in the chassis.

Be happy the MG sounds good to you. It will cost you lots of $$$ otherwise! If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.