musicandthewave
3,080 IQ
The HT-1 costs 270, while the HT-1 metal costs 320. Would it be better to get a used Ibanez tube screamer for around 50 bucks and used with the HT-1 whenever I need more gain or should I just go with the HT-1 Metal alone?

Heaviest I will play would be megadeth, metallica, slayer, basically trash or alternative rock bands that use dual recs, like foo fighters and incubus. I play blues, classic rock, hair metal, as well.
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado
1,824 IQ
^ + 1.

The HT-1 and HT-5 aren't really regarded as good sounding amps, and the features that make them convenient and/or cool wither aren't true or suck.
For example it isn't true that they're all tube amps, and the emulated line output sucks.

Vypyr tube, jet city...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
yeah i'd probably get a tubescreamer (or similar like a bad monkey) or an sd1

add the cost of the ht1 and the ht metal pedal together and you could've just got a better amp. even if you get a better amp the ts or sd1 will likely still be useful.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Lozhaze
760 IQ
The 5 is ok but the 1 combo is not much more than a toy and I've owned both. Buy a POD or something.
lxar
13 IQ
Quote by Spambot_2
^ + 1.

The HT-1 and HT-5 aren't really regarded as good sounding amps, and the features that make them convenient and/or cool wither aren't true or suck.
For example it isn't true that they're all tube amps, and the emulated line output sucks.

Vypyr tube, jet city...

I personally find it very convenient for studying.. and that's true. For everything else, i use my Laney Ironheart, but for practicing, i find it more than acceptable.

TS, it really comes down to what you need. If you need it for anything else other than practicing, I agree that the other amps suggested here are what you are looking for.
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....
668 IQ
What's an IRT cost in the US?
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
I've read that the first stage in the HT is a SS one, not a tube one.

So I'm not sure how effective a Tubescreamer would really be...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark
6,720 IQ
Last weekend I was supplied an HT-5C for a small gig, and I hated the amp.

I spent a good part of the soundcheck trying to get an acceptable tone out of it, but without success. The EQ response is weird, because the tone is always flat. I couldn't find the sweet spot on the EQ knobs' sweep even if my life depended on it -- because they don't have one.
It gets too harsh and unpleasant to the ear way too easily, the clean channel is lifeless, the overdrive channel is only a bit better than the overdrive channel on a Fender Frontman.

And the ISF feature is a joke. It doesn't change the amp's character and voice from British to American at all. No matter the setting on the ISF knob, it never sounds British nor American. It just sounds dull.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
MaaZeus
410 IQ
If you want a good lunchbox head or small wattage combo check out Jet City JCA22h or JCA2212 combo. That plus some tubescreamer clone should get you covered for long, long time.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by Offworld92

the first bunch of stages are SS. Looking at the schematic there are 3 op-amp and 3 FET stages before the preamp tube gain stages (though it may well use different ones of those for the two different channels, that's not to say there are definitely 6 op-amp stages before the preamp tubes).

that's not to say a TS definitely won't work- I boost ss distortion pedals with a ts all the time and it works fine. But I wouldn't want to be sure it'd work with the HT5, either. (not all tube amps necessarily take a boost that well either, it must be said)
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

MaaZeus
410 IQ
Quote by Offworld92

HT is a hybrid but it does take boost well enough. Here Ola toys around HT5, with Maxon on and off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eGsy5tFPA

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
mugzy384
32 IQ
I agree that the ht5 is a dull amp, especially the combo, those blackbird speakers are terrible. However I run my ht5rh into the 4x8 ht metal cab (which is a surprisingly better sounding cab imo) and boost it with a ts-9 and im extremely happy with the sounds im getting. Stay away from the ht metal amps, they sounded aweful to me, the regular ht amps boosted have as much gain as you will ever need for this amps potential applications.
philwhite
211 IQ
I had to do a doubletake when I saw all of the negative blackstar comments. I bought a 5C when it first came out and after checking blackstar's website it looks like they completely changed it. Apparently for the worse. I have the old version with a celestion and its a pretty good amp. Everyone on UG was raving about it then.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
nah we weren't
Quote by classicrocker01

trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by Fisheth24
They're not brilliant. Tried one and it was very flat, unresponsive and meh sounding.

If you like them awesome, but I'd save for something like a Vypr tube.

+2 probably even more solid state shit jammed in the amp to aid the 'metal'
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
MaaZeus
410 IQ
Quote by Fisheth24
Ola can make a potato sound good, so I would take his video's with a pinch of salt.

That is one of his playthrough videos so no multitracking. I'm not sure if there is even highpass (or was it lowpass... which one was the filter used for cutting treble again) filter applied. No recording is good when it comes to judging how an amp sounds like in real life though.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 14, 2014,
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado
1,824 IQ
^ kinda agree on the last part.
You can get an idea of how things sound, but the sound of an amp in a room is not something you can recreate with a youtube video or anything that doesn't involve a serious stereo or even 5.1 setup paired with marvelously recorded audio.
And that'd just be for the sake of a test.

The filters used to cut treble are low pass, or high cut.
You know, the treble are the high frequencies, so if you let the low ones pass you cut the highs.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
MaaZeus
410 IQ
Quote by Spambot_2

The filters used to cut treble are low pass, or high cut.
You know, the treble are the high frequencies, so if you let the low ones pass you cut the highs.

Thanks. I will remember this. For next couple of hours atleast 'till my chaotic mind mixes them up again.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
i can never remember which way round they are either
Quote by classicrocker01

Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado
1,824 IQ
come on, just think about the names, they are even logical.
Or make it even simpler and refer to them as high or low cut, that's even more logical.

Now I gotta go finding an audio engineers forum, you guys are just the worse
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Apr 14, 2014,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
yeah. to be fair what i sort of meant was which way round they are, the resistor in line with the capacitor to ground or vice-versa
Quote by classicrocker01

romeozdistress
2,590 IQ
What did u decide on? I ordered the metal ht 1. I used zzounds payment option. Should have read this first. Seems like everyone hates it. But it was either this or the Vht ultra. Didn't seem like that would have enough gain. Hmmm..
Fender American Special Stratocaster (EMG KH20)
Ibanez VBT700
Randall Diavlo RD5H
Peavey Vypyr 112 (WGS Veteran 30)
Boss SD1
Big Muff Pi

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B