Page 1 of 2
So, I just wanted to ask your opinion on a few things. Like the title says, deos gear matter?

You know who when someone posts a link to a youtube video of 'x<10 year old kid shreds' or something like that? The thing is, the only guitars I've seen them playing are top of the line Jacksons, Ibanez's, PRS's and all those over $700 guitars with over $1000 tube amps.

Do you think the gear they are playing or started out with helped them achieve that? I know it takes practice and dedication but does it give them an edge over someone who starts with a sub $150 chinese knock-off?

Opinions/ thoughts ?
Yes, gear matters. Not as much as talent and practice, but yes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It can be rewarding to play on gear that fits your playing and ear. Some people find that a nicer rig motivates them to create or practice more effectively.

Gear is not going to make you a better player on its own. A better rig is almost never what is holding a person from being the best musician they can be.

So yes, of course it matters, but it often gets in the way where people spend more time obsessing over it. Practice is far more important.
It definitely matters, but not as much as actually playing.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

i read a quote a while back... dont know if it was this forum or some other.... but yeah it said:

"Once you have the chops, you'll see how less gear actually matters. But once you know what to listen for, you'll see what an impact gear has"

its literally been my view towards music/audio.
Quote by darrenram1

Do you think the gear they are playing or started out with helped them achieve that? I know it takes practice and dedication but does it give them an edge over someone who starts with a sub $150 chinese knock-off?

Opinions/ thoughts ?

not at all... its about knowing how to make the best outta your equipment..
i've seen people set expensive tube amps in such a way that it sounds shit...
at the same time, i've seen people set a shitty cheap knockoff amp in such a way
that it sounds ****ing badass..

for example.. you're probably not gonna hit the studio with a 10 watt practice amp
to get a super heavy, wall of sound type rhythm tone... but having said that... the same
10 watt practice amp might actually be a killer choice for a great lead tone.

so its all about knowing what you have and knowing its capabilities and its limits..
Gear matters only to the extent that you need reasonable quality stuff otherwise it falls to pieces and you get frustrated because it's difficult to use and play.
Having said that, I've worked with loads of professional musicians who don't have $1000 guitars and loads of effects and big amplifiers.
Play what you can afford. I think they amateur to pro good enough gear threshold is a lot lower than many people think, certainly less than, say $800 for guitar and amp or less than $400 for acoustic guitar.
I mostly agree with what's been said this far... Sometimes people just blindly follow the "everything is in the fingers" cliche which is not true, gear can and will influence a) your sound and b) your playing heavily (by being well-suited to your style, as well as just being good quality), but at the same time you can get a lot from relatively cheap equipment if you set and use it well (which is pretty much what I think I'm doing). But as much as I love my guitar, it did feel... very different to play a 3x more expensive Ibanez in a store.

So basically I think just balance needs to be kept, practice and skill is very important, but don't downplay the fact that gear _does_ have a big impact as well.
Crappy gear may not inspire you to play because it sounds bad. But other than that I don't think it really matters. But when you get better, your ear for good tone also develops and tone starts mattering a lot more to you. That's why most good guitarists also have good gear. Tone means a lot to them and they just don't like bad sounding gear. But a beginner will sound bad with any gear.

When you start, I think it's good to buy a relatively cheap guitar (but not the cheapest one) and an amp with lots of features and decent sound. You don't want to buy the best gear and spend too much money when you start because you can't be sure if you are going to continue playing the guitar and need that good gear. So in the beginning you want versatility, decent tone and a guitar that feels good to play.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Most of the time, yes. There is the occasional exception of ablues guy that plays a crap Teisco with 3 strings and blows you away . However, if you want to reach the maximum potential of playing, you need to have a guitar you feel comfortable playing that is set up well going into something that makes it sound good and you enjoy hearing overall to play well (in that respect I guess some guys feel comfortable with three stringed Teiscos ).
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I do believe a guitar which is completely different will make you play a tiny bit different.

Not much, but a super slim neck profile invites your hands to play fast.

It's probably just my weird brain forcing me to play a bit different on an ibanez than a les paul.
A good guitar setup is the main thing, if it's at least a decent guitar. I've played $2000 guitars that played like crap and $300 ones that played amazingly.
Get the gear that makes the sound in your head. The big players use very calculated rigs to create a very specific sound and some guys use old $20 pedals that they got 30 years ago because they produce the sonic quality they need.

So in short, if your tone requires a $3000 Mesa so be it. But you should really worry about teh sound the gear makes the before the cost.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Yes gear matters, but what matters is that you like your gear and practice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes.

Especially as a young kid that's still learning, you're more likely to practice and be inspired to practice by an instrument that you enjoy rather than one that is a pain in the ass. My old shitty Squire has sharp fret ends that sometimes scrape up my pinky. It has saddle screws that stick up far too high and dig into my palm, making it hard to have proper strumming hand technique. Occasionally the high E string will get caught under a fret that has a bit of an overhang off the fretboard. Sometimes it makes me upset when my guitar causes me these problems and I decide to stop for the day.

An instrument that frustrates you will make you want to put it down. A quality instrument is important. That's why they exist. Ever since moving up to even just a medium quality Epiphone playing has become much more enjoyable for me which keeps me doing it longer.
Last edited by Seref at Apr 6, 2014,
Of course it matters.

It does without saying that having quality gear will encourage you to play more often, and you'll become a better musician as a result. If you don't care about how good your gear sounds, then that really says a lot about how good a musician you really are. If you lack the perception of what is a good sound to you, then you probably won't have a very acute perception of what sounds good musically either.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 6, 2014,
Quote by darrenram1
So, I just wanted to ask your opinion on a few things. Like the title says, deos gear matter?

You know who when someone posts a link to a youtube video of 'x<10 year old kid shreds' or something like that? The thing is, the only guitars I've seen them playing are top of the line Jacksons, Ibanez's, PRS's and all those over $700 guitars with over $1000 tube amps.

Opinions/ thoughts ?

Well, think of it this way: If you give a beginner a MIA Strat with a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, he's going to sound like shit none-to-less. But let's say you give Brad Paisley something like a Maestro acoustic guitar. It's going to not sound as great as the other guy's rig, but either way, it's going to sound ****ing amazing in Brad's hands compared to the other guy.

Get where I'm going here?

EDIT: You can find great budget guitars that won't ruin your learning experience or harm it. A great one is a Yamaha FG700S.
Last edited by ProjectNemesis at Apr 6, 2014,
Past a certain point, no, gear doesn't matter.

If your $150 Chinese guitar is properly set up, you're good to go. If you're not aware that you can make a $150 guitar play as well as any similar $2000 guitar, and if you're relying on finding something on The Wall that feels good, then you shouldn't be allowed to go guitar shopping.

If you're relying on gear to inspire you, you're barking up the wrong tree. You'll constantly be trading gear to find the next inspiration; look for your motivation elsewhere.
What dsleppman said. Find motivation through your favorite music and artists and don't worry too much on gear as a beginner. Pick up a guitar that feels great to you and that doesn't have a too high or too low action, and like I said, you can find plenty of those under $200. I'm assuming the guitar you have now doesn't have too high of an action.

Barely any famous guittar player these days started on a $5,000 set up.
Guitar gear is kind of like women's clothing. They spend a ton of money on what they wear to impress other women, meawhile guys couldn't care less. Similarly, 99% of the audience can't tell a difference in what gear you are playing.
hey! for fahk sake.

brain adams bought his first real six string at five and dime...
and he fahking played it till his fingers bled! and thats how he got where he is
Quote by 757ian123
Guitar gear is kind of like women's clothing. They spend a ton of money on what they wear to impress other women, meawhile guys couldn't care less. Similarly, 99% of the audience can't tell a difference in what gear you are playing.

It matters to me.

It doesn't make any difference what other people think or don't think.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 6, 2014,
Quote by The SoundGuy
hey! for fahk sake.

brain adams bought his first real six string at five and dime...
and he fahking played it till his fingers bled! and thats how he got where he is

^^ That's funny stuff right there.....
2000 Ibanez RG570 Sour Apple
2009 Ibanez RG321MH MOL
20?? Barracuda bass
Yes, better gear gives one a an edge in their learning capabilities. It makes it easier to play, easier to judge human error, easier to learn proper technique instead of workarounds to force the instrument to cooperate, and it makes it more inspiring to play.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yes, gear matters. Not as much as talent and practice, but yes.

Succinct and to the point, are you sure you're a Lawyer?

Couldn't have put it better.
Quote by The SoundGuy
i read a quote a while back... dont know if it was this forum or some other.... but yeah it said:

"Once you have the chops, you'll see how less gear actually matters. But once you know what to listen for, you'll see what an impact gear has"

Well said.
Quote by Roc8995
It can be rewarding to play on gear that fits your playing and ear. Some people find that a nicer rig motivates them to create or practice more effectively.

Gear is not going to make you a better player on its own. A better rig is almost never what is holding a person from being the best musician they can be.

So yes, of course it matters, but it often gets in the way where people spend more time obsessing over it. Practice is far more important.

+1

(I'd also say that certain types of music can be a lot more difficult to play without suitable gear- I don't see much point in making it hard on yourself. At the same time, though, unless your gear genuinely is totally unsuitable or subpar, as you said, practising is much more important.)

Quote by The SoundGuy

yeah that's not a bad way to put it

the other thing is, you can have a pretty good ear for gear without being a great player (and vice-versa).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
Past a certain point, no, gear doesn't matter.

If your $150 Chinese guitar is properly set up, you're good to go. If you're not aware that you can make a $150 guitar play as well as any similar $2000 guitar, and if you're relying on finding something on The Wall that feels good, then you shouldn't be allowed to go guitar shopping.

If you're relying on gear to inspire you, you're barking up the wrong tree. You'll constantly be trading gear to find the next inspiration; look for your motivation elsewhere.

When I talked about motivation, I meant that a good sounding/feeling gear motivates you to play and bad sounding/feeling gear doesn't. If you play through a crappy starter pack amp, you won't get a good sound with it and it will not inspire you to play anything because you can't get even close to the sounds you would like to achieve. For example if you play metal and have a crappy starter pack amp that has a distortion that sounds like fart, you don't want to play any metal with it because it just doesn't sound right. Your gear needs to suit what you want to play.

Quote by 757ian123

Just wrong. People don't buy many guitars to inspire others (OK, some may). I buy guitars for me. I want my gear to sound good to my own ears. And there are some sounds one guitar or amp can't produce and if you need that tone, you need to buy another guitar/amp. Yes, the audience may not care about it but I do. The audience wouldn't even care if you had a cheap Harley Benton guitar and Marshall MG. Your guitar tone doesn't need to be awesome to work on a live situation. I don't think many people pay attention to the guitar tone. If it's close enough, it is good. But again, it matters to me. I want to sound good to my own ears. So even if you can get "close enough" with a cheap amp and guitar, that's just not enough.

If I enjoy my tone, I play better. And if I hate my tone, it doesn't feel good to play.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Gear absolutely matters. Guitar equipment is like Golf equipment: The better you are, the more you will notice the difference in what you're using. A pro can take shitty gear and sound fine, but it's more challenging or at least less enjoyable.

just like the golf analogy as well: a shitty player that buys top of the line stuff isn't going to be any less shitty. You might accidentally sound better but it won't put you in the pro leagues. Really, the goal shouldn't be finding the 'best' or 'most expensive' equipment, but finding the gear that fits your style and your sound best.
I'm not going to phrase this into a coherent paragraph so I'll just bullet point my thoughts.

The average listener will not notice tiny changes in your gear that may have cost hundreds of pounds.

However, you as the musician will, and you will perform better on gear you think sounds better.

An absolute beginner will sound like crap no matter how nice the gear is, but if they are playing on a piece of driftwood then after a couple of months they will start having issues.

If you are learning and have a professional quality rig then any limitations you have are your own. On the flip side, if you are a professional musician playing through a crappy rig then you will be severely limited by the gear.

This doesn't apply if you consider the aforementioned "crappy rig" to be good, if you think it sounds good then you will sound better on it.

If you are happy playing through an Epiphone and an MG and you think it sounds good, great. If after a few years you still think it sounds good, still great. You will perform well because you think you sound good, regardless of what the audience may think.
After reading most of your thoughts, I think that you guys think that I'm looking for my first first guitar. I bought my first guitar years ago. I was wondering what you guys thought on the gear vs skill thing.

My favourite guitar is my 2nd that I got for less than $200 when I was about 1 year into playing. I've set it up my self since I bought it and I kinda agree with those who said a set up matters. It's a damn good guitar for under $200. Action is low. Licensed Floyd stays in tune after Vai like abuse. Not a single guitar that I've played in a shop has been able to match it, including a top of the line PRS, or my friends Mexican Strat.
To a point, yes. Better gear will generally hold up to extended use better and will be made with better components. They also usually have more attention to detail done at the factory. But a good player on crap gear is generally gonna sound better than a crap player on good gear. Good tone helps a good player, and is generally sort of merciless to people not nearly as good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The audience wouldn't even care if you had a cheap Harley Benton guitar and Marshall MG.

The marshall MG's with the silver panels, well at least the MG10CF... is acutally not too bad.
you could even get a decent lead tone off it for recording...

but yeah the gold panel ones sound like blurry farts.
Quote by The SoundGuy

but yeah the gold panel ones sound like blurry farts.

Do you have any sound clips of the aforementioned blurry farts for comparison?
Nothing really matters, anyone can see.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by JustRooster
Quote by gregs1020
gear matters.

try playing a guitar without a guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIws86ZLyk

OK, I'll ask the unaskable question: how does your wood affect your air guitar?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Page 1 of 2