I've been looking around for a tube amp for a while and I needed some advice or suggestions. I'm a little lost.

I want an amp with really nice cleans and that will take pedals, like distortion, really well. I think I really like 6l6 based amps. I want something that'll be loud enough to gig with, but I also want to be able to play it in my bedroom without shaking my neighbors walls.

My budget is 600-650$.

EDIT -

Budget? 600-650$

Favorite Artists? The Doors, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, The Strokes, Queens of the Stone Age.

Preferences? I like the Fender Twin Reverb a lot. I love the crunch tone on The Bends and Rage albums. I also like the guitar tones on Nevermind and In Utero by Nirvana.

Pickups? Whatever stock Les Paul pickups are.

New or Used? Either, as long as it's in good condition.

Location? Houston, TX

Current Gear? I have a Gibson Les Paul, used to have a Roland Cube 15x, sold it though, for funds for my new, future, amp.
Last edited by Nikon87 at Apr 6, 2014,
$650 USD I am assuming. What styles of music are you looking to play?

Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod
Vox AC30
Peavey Classic 30

All those have nice cleans. You may need to go used to afford a couple of them though.

There's heaps of nice amps in that price range for all sorts of different things. It would really help to know what you want the amp to do though so we can narrow it down.
Edit your original post to contain the following information for better responses.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Ampeg GVT52-112 would meet all your requirements.
Its tone shares some similarities with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe's tone, but it's treble isn't as overly bright and the reverb is better IMHO.

It has a switch to choose between 25 watts or 50 watts, but you can easily use it at bedroom levels in 50 watts mode. Controlling the channel volume + master volume knobs give you full control from whispering volumes to volumes too high to handle without earplugs.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by wildozer
$650 USD I am assuming. What styles of music are you looking to play?

Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod
Vox AC30
Peavey Classic 30

All those have nice cleans. You may need to go used to afford a couple of them though.

There's heaps of nice amps in that price range for all sorts of different things. It would really help to know what you want the amp to do though so we can narrow it down.

I've tried all these amps, the Blues Junior sounded a little too boxy to me. The Fender Hot Rod series didn't sound nearly like a Twin or Deluxe Reverb to me and that bothered me. The Vox AC was really nice but still wasn't really what I was looking for, I didn't like how thin it sounded, especially when compared to Fender amps. The Peavey Classic 30, first of all was EL34s, which sort of put me off. And when I tried it, it was still a little thin and boxy sounding to me, not as an open of a sound as I'd like.
The ampeg GVT are the shit for clean stuff.
For serious.

It also has a crunch but it doesn't convince me that much.
So maybe try one and see if it convinces you
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
The ampeg GVT are the shit for clean stuff.
For serious.

It also has a crunch but it doesn't convince me that much.
So maybe try one and see if it convinces you

Yeah, the drive channel on the GVT is very peculiar; it's more of a fuzz than a crunch or distortion channel.

But the clean channel is excellent on its own (even better than many Fender's clean channels), and takes pedals super effectively.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I've tried all these amps, the Blues Junior sounded a little too boxy to me. The Fender Hot Rod series didn't sound nearly like a Twin or Deluxe Reverb to me and that bothered me. The Vox AC was really nice but still wasn't really what I was looking for, I didn't like how thin it sounded, especially when compared to Fender amps. The Peavey Classic 30, first of all was EL34s, which sort of put me off. And when I tried it, it was still a little thin and boxy sounding to me, not as an open of a sound as I'd like.[/QUOTE

Don't overthink it. All of those amps will take you where you want to go. The only significant differences lie in tone settings and guitar choices.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY