Anyone here have a friend or someone close who makes least 40k/yr doing only music?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm assuming that your parents have said something along the lines of 'we'll send you to college for music if you can make 40k a year from it.'

actually, no
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm assuming that your parents have said something along the lines of 'we'll send you to college for music if you can make 40k a year from it.'

People that are successful musicians rarely came from music college.
I know some guy who claims to be a piano teacher but I don't know how much he earns. Or whether he's bullshitting or not.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
I have a friend that is a high profile session and touring pianist and low profile producer who makes about that. but even though he's very talented, he's also very lucky.
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
know a bunch of people making a comfortable living from music/audio...
dont know exactly how much theyre making, but it seems enough for em to own their studio, pay rent, bills and support the family... so im guessing its gotta be good pay.

but also i know really talented people who're either working part time somewhere else or are barely employed.. and its worth mentioning, these guys are all still at the starting of their careers.. you gotta climb your way up... thats when being a dick is more satisfying
You didn't specify a unit, so I'm assuming you mean 40,000 pence, or £400.

I've earned more than that from playing gigs, yeah
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I know a guy who does backing vocals and sometimes plays guitars for Zucchero, a very famous Italian singer who sold over 50 million discs. So yeah, I guess he makes more than 40k a year.
Why do I doubt 99% of UG makes 40K a year doing anything?

Well I don't and if you ****ers make more than me, something is wrong here.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I know a few who make well over 100k creating sound tracks fro tv commercials. Most of it is crap too
One of my Uni lecturers is the head composer for the Cardiff orchestra and was tutored personally under Karl Jenkins. He said he gains around 4-5k a year from that work, and his actual living comes from being a lecturer.
Yes I know several, mostly in the sound engineer and producing music roles. The key is writing songs and milking them for every penny they are worth in the industry now, Used to be different, I have 2 friends making good money on residules from albums they put out in the 80s. (they were big in South America LOL ) Being a performer, I never made more then a couple thousand a year just doing the local thing. If you are wanting to make money in the industry go to school for being a sound engineer and keep working on your own music cause it is a slim chance now to hit it big.
I've made about £3.50 from music, so I'm nearly there
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
I've made about £3.50 from music, so I'm nearly there

Woooah you're halfway there!
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I have a few pro-musician friends. One is a producer, another is in a folk-rock band and also teaches, one is a guitarist/song writer in a metal band, another is a bass player is a major tribute band, a couple more are singer/songwriters on the folk/blues minor circuit and another teaches classical guitar and promotes concerts, and one guy I know well is a pro-sound engineer with his own hire company (and also a promoter). I don't know what they each earn, but they all make a living out of music or music related things. All have "more than one string to their bow" and haven't always been pro. I know loads of other guys in the local scene who are semi-pro in that they make some extra money while doing a "proper" job. Supply teaching, plumbing, electrical, contract working and other self-employed occupations are good for "the day job".
Myself, I have a proper day job and just play at being a sound engineer and recordist - I have been paid for both but not much and not often. I have been a full time stage manager though - but that prob would't make 40K
My dad gave me twenty dollars for gas once
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
$32,000 is close to £$40k?

I think you're pretty far away.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Full-time music teachers or university music professors would make that (or more).

But other than my music professor, no, I don't know anyone who makes that much. I certainly can't think of anyone in a band who makes that -- all my friends who have bands also have full-time jobs.
Hell no lol.

One of my old friends Scott Lepaige is the lead guitarist for Polyphia.

They are getting pretty big for an instrumental band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jhZB73IawI

Even with hundreds of thousands of views and headlining shows they don't make anything close to that much each.

You need to be selling lots of records and be getting millions of views per vid turned into ad money to make that much.

Quote by snipelfritz
Why do I doubt 99% of UG makes 40K a year doing anything?

Well I don't and if you ****ers make more than me, something is wrong here.

Get in the trades you noobs,

I am 22 and make 30-40k a year depending on hours as a carpenter and hvac worker. Fun work doesn't pay that much to people my age though lol. (And by the time I am 27 I will make 60-70k a year)

BTW that is a ton of money in Texas lol. Our food and property prices are mindblowing, they are all seriously 1/3-1/10 the price of living somewhere like the UK or Aussieland. (I live in a two story town home and do a ton of drugs lulz)
Last edited by garden of grey at Apr 6, 2014,
Quote by garden of grey

One of my old friends Scott Lepaige is the lead guitarist for Polyphia

Get in the trades you noobs,

That's pretty awesome, just found them like a month ago.

Also, the trades suggestion is a good idea. I just started being an electrician and I am gonna make 50k my first year.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
I'm sure I've met a few.

Most of my friends don't make that much working real jobs either.

I'm in no hurry to make money. Earning $400-500 a week is fine for me, and I absolutely love my job.
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Apr 6, 2014,
Quote by garden of grey

You need to be selling lots of records and be getting millions of views per vid turned into ad money to make that much.

selling records doent make you money...
if you're with a major label, they usually keep about 80% of your record sales money.. and give you the rest.. and if you're not with a label.. unless you're a band like radiohead... not that many people would buy your record. maybe 10k people? but remember 10k units is kinda like what a labels will give out free..

gigs/merch etc will get you some money... if you're independent that is.
One of my piano teachers very likely made more than that.

Also, ITT Some people think 'doing music' means being in a band. There are loads of other careers 'doing music' encompasses.
superman is killing himself tonight
Last edited by Baby Joel at Apr 7, 2014,
Quote by garden of grey

I am 22 and make 30-40k a year depending on hours as a carpenter and hvac worker. Fun work doesn't pay that much to people my age though lol. (And by the time I am 27 I will make 60-70k a year)

BTW that is a ton of money in Texas lol. Our food and property prices are mindblowing, they are all seriously 1/3-1/10 the price of living somewhere like the UK or Aussieland. (I live in a two story town home and do a ton of drugs lulz)

Fuck yeah, a fellow carpenter.
our drummer works in a recording studio and teaches acoustics at university. I never asked him his salary but I would guess upwards of 40k easily
Quote by The SoundGuy
selling records doent make you money...
if you're with a major label, they usually keep about 80% of your record sales money.. and give you the rest.. and if you're not with a label.. unless you're a band like radiohead... not that many people would buy your record. maybe 10k people? but remember 10k units is kinda like what a labels will give out free..

gigs/merch etc will get you some money... if you're independent that is.

Dude, if you're independent and selling the cds yourself online you'd make a crap ton of money selling 10k units.
Shit, most of them probably wouldn't even be physical sales anyway.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
Dude, if you're independent and selling the cds yourself online you'd make a crap ton of money selling 10k units.
Shit, most of them probably wouldn't even be physical sales anyway.

you've gotta be REAALLY good and have a solid marketing plan to reach 10k though.. many artists backed by major label sometimes fail to make that.. then get dropped

but yes, at that point you could make about 85-90k in profit.
Last edited by The SoundGuy at Apr 7, 2014,
Music teacher (secondary/high school) in Scotland makes between £25000-32000 a year. But that also includes your 12 weeks holidays + every weekend. Not too shabby.

I also know a couple of guys who work as sound engineers in a recording/practice studio. Think they only scrape by - all depends on the standard of studio, area your in etc.
Land of my high endeavor,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart forever,
Scotland the brave