I seriously can't get why he is so praised. He sounds 90% like hendrix without the sonic experimentation. Most of his songs sound like red house maybe sometimes sped up.
He never goes any further than the minor pentatonic scale. Maybe i just can't see the magic, can you explain it to me? SRV = Typical blues sped up.
Yes, you're the only one
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Since this thread seems to be all about confessing: I never liked his voice and singing.
His music is ok, I guess, but it sure can't stand up to Hendrix and the blues greats.
This is not a signature
What's there to really dislike?

Dat Texas Blues

Dat amazing tone

Dat crazy confident energy that he brings

Dat good singing

Maybe his style just isn't for you.

Edit- Honestly, I've always prefered SRV over Hendrix. Just my personal preference. But, to be fair, I rarely listen to either of them on my own time.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 6, 2014,
Meh, you don't have to like everything. If you gave him a fair chance, just move on.
blues isn't really my thing, but i think he's a superb performer.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by ErnestoFidel
But it sure can't stand up to Hendrix and the blues greats.

So, SRV isn't considered a 'blues great' now?
part of what makes him cool is just the energy he puts into it!
hendrix played like a fairy compared to that.. although i agree that srv isn't on the same level as hendrix as he wasn't nearly as innovative.

but yeah.. if hendrix was an alchemist then srv was a blacksmith or sth
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
First off you are entitled to your opinion and as long as you can respect what he has done, that's what's important. However he is not a hendrix clone and he is not sped up blues. though hendrix was a big influence, most of the musicians vaughan played with were veteran blues players. Albert King for example. Vaughan tone was another staple. He played very clean with a good volume control. Now his solos were always intricate, melodic, and of course straight minor blues but with a dimension of 80s feel, because thats what he was surronded by. the one thing i will say him and hendrix had in common was showmanship. listen to lenny, paradise rivera, couldnt stand the weather, and his duet with albert king. watch them to get a feel of his magic
I think one of his most impressive performances (IMO) was his acoustic set when Joe Satriani made his debut appearance. SRV played with so much energy it was unreal(considering I had never heard him play acoustic before).
Quote by Rensa
He never goes any further than the minor pentatonic scale.

You need to listen to more of his work. He went outside of the minor pentatonic scale more often than many other great blues guitarists (I am not saying he is better than other blues legends, just that "sticking to pentatonic" is a silly criticism to apply to any blues player, but ESPECIALLY SRV). He not only used typical blues "out" notes like the flat 5, or a major 3rd in a minor key, but had a jazz vocabulary as well. Listen to Rivera Paradise and Lenny. He used pretty much every interval. He often stuck to the pentatonic scale (with additional passing tones; which you don't mention) because that is what gives a bluesy sound.

Saying he just sounds like a fast blues guitar player is an odd criticism. He was a blues guitar player; he's supposed to sound like a blues guitar player. Yes he could play very fast, because his technique was impeccable, but he also played with soul. Your criticism can be applied to any of the great blues players, and it isn't a valid criticism in any case.

Try learning some of his songs. You will be surprised how often he steps outside of minor 1-3-4-5-7. You will also be surprised at his technique. What he did is not easy.
You are not alone. Lots of people never got Jimi, Janis, or Jeff Beck either. And there are also lots of deaf people.

From my perspective SRV played every note like it was his last and was one of a very few musicians who could fully and completely express their soul through their instrument. To me that is what made SRV, Jimi, Miles, Django, and Satchmo exceptional musicians. Not how many modes they knew or how many notes per minute they played but how truly connected they were to their music and their audience.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
He's a great guitar player and singer IMO, but he's not much of a songwriter. I listen for the soulful soloing and colorful tone. That Strat neck pickup never ceases to make me cream myself.
For me, SRV is more someone I respect than someone I enjoy listening to. I remember his DVD (recorded somewhere in Texas) was one of my firsts back in the day and I thought he was fascinating to watch.

As far as his musical appeal, I could take it or leave it.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
SRV is my all time favorite. It's hard for me to understand how someone could dislike him, but then again, it could work the other way around for anyone else. The tone and energy is just unlike anything else in the world.

Here's the performance Dimarzio45 was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNVdXWdyq2I
2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster 1994 Ibanez RG270 1970's Hondo Les Paul 2011 Epiphone Sheraton II 1990's Kit Built Telecaster 2005 Ibanez AW40NT 1949 Harmony Sovereign