So I got a Yamaha FG730S for my birthday and so far love it, and have been using Martin Prospher bronze lights or something like that. Anyways, it is coming time to change the strings, and I am not happy with using those string again, they just don't feel right to me.

I am pretty sure I am going to get coated strings this time, but am unsure what kind of strings to get this time. I used to use slinky steels just because they were cheap and I had cheaper guitars at the time.

Any ideas?
^ I recommend elixirs too. of the coatings, IMO nanoweb is the best.

although elixirs are the only strings I ever used, so I'm not sure about other brands
Last edited by Bluebit at Apr 6, 2014,
I always put dadario ej16s on when I had a 730s for less than 5 bucks. They're similar to the Martins you're using but different enough that you can tell a difference and make a judgement on which you prefer. Then you can move on from there.
the two most popular string choices are D'addario EXP16 PB lights and Elixir Nanoweb PB lights.
i used to use nothing but EXP16's but i found that my 'Hog guitars seem to prefer the Elixir that they came with so now i have to keep both in stock.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by matthewzguitarz
....[ ].....I am pretty sure I am going to get coated strings this time, but am unsure what kind of strings to get this time. I used to use slinky steels just because they were cheap and I had cheaper guitars at the time.

Any ideas?
Well first, I have no idea why anyone would use steel strings on an acoustic. It sort of defeats the purpose. The bronze windings on acoustic stings, are made out of what is essentially, "bell bronze". (That should be, more or less, self explanatory). With that said, bronze wound strings do need more frequent replacement than steel.

It's sometimes hard to get a fix on the sound you want, as a new and old set of the same strings, will sound quite different.

Some people prefer "brass", (80/20 alloy strings), to phosphor bronze sets, they're quite a bit brighter.

With D'Addario's strings, you can sample the sound with their standard, (uncoated), strings, and them bump the replacement up to their "EXP" (coated series), when you settle on the sound and gauge you want.

That opportunity is not available with Elixirs, they only offer coated strings.

As far as the "feel" of these competitive brands goes, D'Addario coats the strings before winding, and Elixir coats theirs after winding. This results in a somewhat different "feel". Some claim the Elixirs are "slippery". Can't say, I've never used them.

In any event, expect to do some experimentation, even after listening to us run our mouths making suggestions.

I would suggest that you go no lighter than a "custom light" set, (.011 to .052), on your big body guitar. In truth, "acoustic light" sets, (.012 to .053), do most of the heavy lifting on dreads and larger.

Remember though, it's your guitar, and it's your ears that have the final say.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 6, 2014,
Hmm... Guess I will start with Elixir strings first since that is one of the only brands I haven't tried on other guitars, then if I don't like them I will go back to D'Addario.
Elixirs are great but if you change tunings a lot they won't last long till they break. If you don't change that often however, they're the best I can think of.