I know somebody will probably get mad at me for not using the ultimate settings thread, but those seem a bit generic and I would like something more specific for my gear. Mostly I'm trying to get a sound like Alex Lifeson of Rush. I know he has had a lot of different sounds over the years so to be more specific I'd like to get the Red Sector A sound from the Grace Under Pressure album. I'd also like to try to get some of his other sounds too, but that's mostly what I'm after. I know it's going to involve chorus, but unfortunately I'm too good at dialing things in.

Also if anybody provide any help with a Def Leppard sound from Pyromamia or Hysteria that would be great!

So here are my guitars:
Epiphone Slash Les Paul
A knock off HSS Strat with a Gibson 57 Classic+ bridge pickup
I'm also building, but haven't yet finished, an HSH Strat that will have a 496R, 498T, and I haven't decided what the middle pickup will be yet

Amps:
Egnater Rebel 30 1x12 Combo
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Roland Micro Cube

As for effects I just have a Digitech RP500 and a Crybaby Wah
analogue chorus

lots of delay for def leppard
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'll be set with the Marshall as the main amp for these tones. Either way, you'll need a chorus pedal for Lifeson and Def Leppard. For Def Leppard, especially on the Hysteria album (and title song), they favored chorus and delay on most of the guitar tracks.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Thanks guys! My RP500 has a model of a Boss CE-2 so I think I'll use that for the chorus. As for the delay here is what it has:

Analog Delay
Boss® DM-2 Analog Delay
Digital Delay
Maestro™ Echoplex EP-2
Modulated Delay
Pong Delay
Reverse Delay
Tape Delay

Do you guys have any suggestions on which one to use? I know early on Lifeson used an Echoplex, but I'm not sure about the era I'm talking about or what Steve Clark and Phil Collen used.

Also, do you have any suggestions on what settings I should try for the effects? I only recently got the RP500 and I don't have much experience at dialing in effects in general. I've read that Lifeson set his chorus with a low speed and high depth. Is that a good starting point?

Thanks!
yeah i reckon so. for that 80s type chorus (i think my tonerider is a lightly modded ce2) i generally set the rate to 10 o'clock and depth to 2 o'clock.

i'm not that well up on rush so i reckon if you know he used a certain effect, try that one on your multi-fx and see how it sounds.

again for the 80s stuff a dm2 (or even the generic analog one) might work well. if it's too lo-fi/murky sounding, maybe try the digital one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have been working on and chasing Alex's sound for over 35 years. The guy is just completely unpredictable. If you REALLY want the P/G sound, just find an old GK 250 ML MKII - run it through a halfstack and have some sort of tc SCF on standby. You can get every sound from both albums with that chain.