Is it just me or is there something with when most guys who are guitarists get into college, they ditch whatever they've done and learned on an electric guitar and buy a cheap Yamaha acoustic only to play and write wussy folk music?

No matter what their genre, no matter what the skill level, they just drop electric entirely and all start doing the same old boring ass shit. And they try to "sing," which is often just senseless wailing because they lack actual singing capabilities.

Nothing wrong with gaining a taste in acoustic and wanting to venture into new genres, that's fine. But instead of doing cool shit like this:

They cheap out and play "sensitive guy" crap that girls love like this (PS: this song may be shit but Defeater is fantastic otherwise, I recommend checking out):

What is it exaclty? New method of trying to pick up girls because they failed throughout high school to do the same? Limited to noise restrictions in small dorms/apartments and can't play electric or intense acoustic?

I know of like 3 guys in person now who have done this.
Maybe it's because people want to broaden their creative horizons?

Don't be such a judgemental asshole.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
stop being a cunt, Ian.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I know just what you're talking about. I not only ditched my electric, but also my Breedlove acoustic so that I could buy a cheap Yamaha and do this.
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Maybe it's because people want to broaden their creative horizons?

Don't be such a judgemental asshole.

There's nothing remotely creative about some loser lightly strumming open chords and wailing off-key about some girl and "looking into her eyes" and all that shit so I don't know what you're talking about.
I'm sorta guilty of doing this. But first things first:

It's a easier to show people you play with an acoustic guitar because of it's portability.

I, however, have never brought my guitar to campus more than once and it was only because my friend requested it. Also I started playing my acoustic more lately because I was inspired listening to people like Passenger, Ben Howard, and Matt Corby. But I still prefer my electric for more than anything.

And yes I'm 24 now and not as much of a metal fan like I was back then.
Anyway, people might get an acoustic to add something to their "collection" and then they might get away from the music they liked in their teens and/or have less time to keep on developing their electric guitar skills and/or a bunch of other possible stuff which might lead them to drop the electric guitar or take it less seriously. Nothing wrong with that.
I can't say I know exactly what you're talking about, but: I do remember I was required to stay in the dorms my freshman year and guitar amps weren't allowed, so rather than play on an electric running through something like a POD with headphones, I brought my acoustic.

And I will say that having to play an acoustic all the time did inspire more 'folky' type stuff. Nothing like what you just posted, but open tuning with a slide or learning slap acoustic wasn't all that uncommon for me to skip class to spend my day doing.

You have to make it fun somehow, and playing leads on an acoustic with 14 accessible frets, isn't (it was a dreadnought).

Other people want to get chicks, and playing loud obnoxious stuff that belongs on a Zeppelin record, while 100x more fun, doesn't do it for chicks. You have to play the cliche, otherwise you're a guitar nerd.
Well that's one of the reasons because they're gonna get laid and you're not.

They aren't anything good as guitarists, but they succeed in their purpose.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Strangely enough, I've started playing acoustic a lot more since I started Uni. I don't think the two are related though since I generally don't like to play in public and don't live anywhere near the campus...

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Ugg
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Spambot_2
Well that's one of the reasons because they're gonna get laid and you're not.
lol

Quote by Dregen
so after watching the first video i'm guessing you like all style and no substance, eh.
I'm still a metalfag in transition, bear with me.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

There's nothing remotely creative about some loser lightly strumming open chords and wailing off-key about some girl and "looking into her eyes" and all that shit so I don't know what you're talking about.

Who cares if their playing isn't on the cutting edge of musical creativity if it's fun for them to play it? It might be creative for them, maybe not in terms of what hasn't been played before, but in terms of them learning how to play,
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 6, 2014,
There's reason that the guy in the first video was so good. Even though he played guitar, the girls still didn't want him, so he resigned himself to practicing guitar and masturbating, furiously.
Last edited by Malchius at Apr 6, 2014,
that second song you posted is so much better than the first one

Quote by Ian_the_fox

They cheap out and play "sensitive guy" crap that girls love like this (PS: this song may be shit but Defeater is fantastic otherwise, I recommend checking out):

Wrong. This is one of the many songs that really ties the album together. Better album because of it.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Wonderwall is lame.

Last edited by Axelfox at Apr 6, 2014,