Our bass player was in charge of talking to the promoter of a gig this Thursday. He has not turned up to the last four sessions, and we just found out he has been ignoring the promoter on facebook for a month when she asked him whether we were playing the gig or not, because he didn't want to play.

When I found out, I called him f*****g ridiculous and other names, and kicked him out of the band in a spate of blind fury. We now need to find a bass player, in four days.

The question is, Pit:

Was I A Bit Harsh?

Should I Ask The Bass Player To Return?

serious answers only of course
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
4 days is pretty tight. Do you think you can still pull it off? If not, you might want to talk to the bass player. Do you think he would've even shown up to the gig anyways?
Quote by Dimarzio45
4 days is pretty tight. Do you think you can still pull it off? If not, you might want to talk to the bass player. Do you think he would've even shown up to the gig anyways?

probably not mate. We were thinking of doing the gig bassless - I haven't seen many bands do that, but at the same time at crap venues the bass always sounds like fart anyway.. what do you think?
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
Quote by jimmydvn
probably not mate. We were thinking of doing the gig bassless - I haven't seen many bands do that, but at the same time at crap venues the bass always sounds like fart anyway.. what do you think?

Device played bassless for the most part on the last Gigantour, and they rocked! If you can't get a bass player who is totally ready for the show, you've just got to go bassless or not play at all. If I were you, I'd just forget the bass player. They didn't talk to the promoter because they didn't want to play? Are they 9? You weren't too harsh, I would've done the same thing. They're blocking the progress of the band because they don't want to do something.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
I don't think you were harsh. If he can't be bothered to do something for the good of the band then he shouldn't be in it.
Quote by jimmydvn

Do it without that pleb. Hopefully you guys don't rely too heavily on the bass parts. If your set is really straight forward, see if the bass player from the other band could stand in. That's assuming you have another band playing at the venue. Try to contact them beforehand and see what's up.

But, again, that's assuming you really need a bass player. If not, I'm sure you'll get along just fine without a bass player. Plus, you really shouldn't cancel gigs for such a situation unless its absolutely catastrophic.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 6, 2014,
Protip: You dont need bass.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Nah, you are fine.
That "bass player" is a dick.
And while 4 days notice is not ideal, it can be done.
I was with this one band for over 3 years and played my first gig with them 3 days after first meeting them.
Try an octaver pedal in the guitar chain to get some of the lower frequencies. You could even run two signals, the main guitar one plus the octaved one to a bass amp. I know some bands do it that way.
If you are serious about the band and want to get anywhere - no, you weren't harsh at all. Being in a seriou band is not about being friends (that helps, and is important to keeping a band together though), it's about being professional and mature about things.

If he didn't come to four rehearsals in a row, without good reason, you should have acted sooner.

Personally, I think you should explain the whole situation to the promoter, apologise profusely and ask if she'd rather you play bassless or just pull out. Don't just turn up on the night with no bassist and act like normal - despite what you might think, not having a full lineup isn't at all professional, in most cases, and may harm your chances of working with the promoter again, unless she'd rather have you play than pull out.

Your call but I'd do as I just said
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
why are you leaving booking responsibilities to your bass player anyway lol
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
It's ****ing bass guitar. You can probably teach someone else the entire setlist in a day.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG