For years I have played with 3 fingers holding the pick (thumb, pointer and middle). I recently discovered that I can play faster by holding the pick correctly with only 2 fingers. For solo's and single note riffs, it is working well.

However, for fast strumming of chords I can't get used to holding the pick with 2 fingers. It keeps moving around and falling out of my hands. I instinctively switch back to 3 fingers whenever I start playing chords. If I hold the pick tighter with 2 fingers, it makes it difficult to strum quickly on multiple strings because there is no "give" in the pick if you know what I'm saying. Anyone have any tips for this?
You could use a softer pick for rythym,However if you're playing lead and rythym and need to use a thick pick,try not digging in so much on the rythym parts,Let the pick glide over the strings.You'll get used to it with practice.
I had a similar issue. I was using a thinner pick, but switched to a thicker pick because it's easier to pick single notes quickly for me. You'll adjust with time. It didn't take me very long to adjust. I was using .73 picks and switched to .88. Then I moved to 1mm. You might find that making a gradual change helps with the transition.
Quote by _tim*
Is it really important to hold your pick with 2 fingers ?

You get more flexibility and more control that way. I mean you CAN use your other three fingers to brace the index, but the index has gotta be the only finger to touch the surface of the pick if you wanna pick comfortably.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Last edited by Archer250 at Apr 11, 2014,
I'm kinda leaning towards just using 2 fingers for single notes, and 3 for chords. I think I will get the best of both worlds that way.
Try angling the pick differently when playing rhythm and don't come down too hard on the strings. It doesn't take much force to play a chord.

Also, some picks have extra grip on them.
I use two finger slightly titled pick but i use all my other finger pressed up against each other a bit like a fist for lead and rhythm works for me good
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Apr 12, 2014,
this youtuber used to have a right hand picking lesson video that basically taught me how to pick properly! i cant find that particular video anymore, but heres a close up video of how hes holding the pick in a playing context
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9jHFNzrRRw

for strumming perhaps try a thinner pick
Last edited by SuperKid at Apr 12, 2014,
Quote by dazzzer30
I use two finger slightly titled pick but i use all my other finger pressed up against each other a bit like a fist for lead and rhythm works for me good

This is pretty much what I do as well. Ritchie Blackmore style, bro!

Also, try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone