Hey UG,

I've been finding recently that my guitar hasn't been sustaining very much when clean. I figure a lot of this has to do with the fact that I'm running through quite a few pedals and pretty long wires between my pedalboard and amp (while using the FX loop, so a lot of wires).

I'm rebuilding my pedalboard anyway with a true-bypass looper to help keep lengths of wire to a minimum and generally improve my tone and eliminate noise, which will hopefully solve some of this problem.

I've been hearing and reading a lot about buffers recently, and wondering whether or not this would help my guitar's clean sound sustain a little more?

My understanding is that a buffer effectively helps to "push" your signal through long lengths of cable. Logically that to me would imply that it would help keep my signal strong even as it trails off, therefore giving more sustain..

I could be entirely wrong, and don't want to waste money in buying an unnecessary buffer... Can anyone help?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Last edited by makutoid at Apr 6, 2014,
it might make it sound slightly better when run through tons of pedals, but i doubt it's going to have a massive effect on sustain. if you're not getting enough sustain there's something else wrong- technique, playing at too low a volume, or your guitar is poorly set up. probably some other things i'm forgetting too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, I wasn't too sure how the science of it works, whether it's purely helping maintain tone or volume as well.

I do tend to have my action pretty low, which I'm aware doesn't allow for so much sustain, but it's incredibly frustrating when an overdriven signal sustains for ages (even with a hefty noise gate) but clean signal dies out really fast! Maybe worth looking at a compressor..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid
Ok, I wasn't too sure how the science of it works, whether it's purely helping maintain tone or volume as well.

I do tend to have my action pretty low, which I'm aware doesn't allow for so much sustain, but it's incredibly frustrating when an overdriven signal sustains for ages (even with a hefty noise gate) but clean signal dies out really fast! Maybe worth looking at a compressor..

This is where the sustain of the guitar comes into play. Buffers really don't affect sustain on the clean side of things. Low action isn't a problem, but anything that pulls energy out of the strings or damps them in any way is. Pickups that have very strong magnets, and/or pickups that are too close to the strings will stop the string from vibrating will reduce sustain. Lightweight bridges, with saddles that move around -- will reduce sustain. Dead frets will reduce sustain. Hollow bodies that produce a lot of sound when the string is plucked will reduce sustain. And so on.

What guitar are you using? Are the frets glued? Do you have a Floyd trem, and is there an aftermarket sustain block on it? Is the body small, heavy and dense?
Quote by makutoid

yeah if you want tons of sustain on a clean tone and you're playing fairly quietly a compressor might be your best option.

as dspellman says, though, there are things which will adversely affect your sustain in your guitar's setup, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry for belated reply guys...

dspellman, the particular guitar in question is a Yamaha Super Flighter, maple and alder body with set maple neck. To my knowledge the frets aren't glued, and it's a standard(ish) tune-o-matic bridge, fixed tailpiece that's practically flat to the body of the guitar. There's no sustain plate.

I'd not thought about the magnetic pull from the pickups though, they are quite close to the strings.. I'll try that out!

Dave_mc, I do tend to attack fairly lightly but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's quiet, I might experiment with a compressor though. I've always been put off as I like to have total control of my volume and dynamics at my finger tips and in how I play, rather than a pedal.. I'll see how it sounds though!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Last edited by makutoid at Apr 10, 2014,