So I had a fellow UGer ask me how I did my drums, and he wanted to explain the whole process, I figured I'd rather just make a thread on the whole thing so I dont have to repeat myself later

I personally program my drums or use MIDI files or whatever. Why? Because its cheap and it sounds good, but this could probably apply to real drums if you had the drums set up in a similar fashion.

Here is what I use:

DAW: Reaper 4.58
Drum Software: Superior Drummer 2.3
Plugins: Superior Drummer's, Reaper's AND Waves plugins.

Everything else is routed to a bus. now DISCLAIMER. Do you have to use Waves Plugins? No. Do you have to use Superior Drummer? No. You can use whatever you like. The overall concept is the same. Just the execution may be different with whatever you use. I....just happen to like this set up Does it have to be an 80's metal setting, no it doesnt have to be, but this is the way I like mine therefore I'm teaching it that way Now you can dial down the reverb, you can dial down the compression and the effects for blues, for jazz and change settings all you want, but the whole concept it the same.

The first thing I did to set up my drums is I went on YouTube and I found this lovely gentleman by the name of Ryan Bruce...or Fluff, who made the FANTASTIC preset for superior drummer which had everything already EQ'd and Compressed that the only thing I had to do is download the preset and modify it to how I wanted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPWapW2-4P4&list=PL3gffKm0tqiL9T5zmoSZDCYQL2ffJUGjO&index=3

That is the link to the YouTube video where you can download not only the preset, but also the complete template for a rock n' roll or metal session.

Now when you get Superior Drummer up and running what you first want to do is grab an EQ and put a Low Pass Filter or LPF, and a High Pass Filter on it, in the fashion like it says in the accompanying photograph.

.....and the main drum track is now done. Here comes the hard part. You have to send EVERYTHING to 7 different drum tracks because each part of the drum (snare, bass drum, toms, cymbals etc.) Needs to have its own channel for fine tuning, tweaking and having its own separate effects.

So here's how mine is set up, actually if you download Fluff's Template, its setup 90% to how I have it, I just modified it to suit my needs.

So 7 tracks and each individual piece of the drum set gets sent to its own track for isolation and processing, rather ingenious by the way. I'm not going to explain how to route each individual track because its gonna take too long and YouTube has plenty of clips out there for everyone to learn on their own specific DAW.

Now the only real effects I added were reverb and some compression on the snare track. EVERYBODY LOVES THE DAMN 80'S REVERB SNARE SOUND...but there's 2. I'll explain.

On the MAIN FX BUS, which is the reverb for the whole kit, this is what mine is set at

Now I use RVerb because again, fantastic plug in, can you use something else if you dont have RVerb? Absolutely.

The compressor which again you can use whatever you like, is set up like this:

On the snare track itself, this is how I have it set up.

Now on the Bass drum there are no effects, on the Toms I have a limiter set at -.02 db, same as the overhead mics or OH. Same as the High Hats or HH, or the Room mics.

Otherwise that is the whole process. This tutorial AGAIN, is for modern/vintage studio quality drums. If anyone has any questions on anything else please ask, I'd be more than happy to answer whatever I can either here or by PM.

I would like to thank Ryan Bruce for doing 95% of the legwork for me and everyone else on YouTube. Waves plugins for making the goods, Reaper for making a very simple and well sounding DAW, and Superior Drummer and Toontrack for the main meat of the whole sandwich.

EDIT: Here's a demo so you can hear what it sounds like, drums by themselves.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-trujillo-5/superior-drummer-demo-with
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Last edited by RBM01991 at Apr 6, 2014,
sounds very programmed, and personally i feel the its a bit harsh tonally... but yeah thanks for the info anyways!

EDIT: sorry, yeah it doesnt sound harsh... just realized my interface wansnt on and it was coming through the laptop speakers! my bad! haha
but yeah still does sound quote programmed
Last edited by The SoundGuy at Apr 7, 2014,
That's a lot of work.
BIAB has a bazillion midi patches but where it stands out is the ability to generate tracks using real musicians.

The guitar is me, the rest is BIAB, my composition/arrangement.
https://soundcloud.com/eband/joez-blues-3
I lay out the chord progression, plug the instruments in and voila - Band in a Box.
Quote by The SoundGuy
sounds very programmed, and personally i feel the its a bit harsh tonally... but yeah thanks for the info anyways!

EDIT: sorry, yeah it doesnt sound harsh... just realized my interface wansnt on and it was coming through the laptop speakers! my bad! haha
but yeah still does sound quote programmed

Yeah I agree it sounds very robotic and programmed. Vary the midi velocities a touch more and shift the midi notes slightly either way and it will sound a lot "better"
Yeah that was a demo from Superior Drummer, I just wanted you guys to hear what the tones sound like.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
Yeah that was a demo from Superior Drummer, I just wanted you guys to hear what the tones sound like.

dont they already have that on the website?
anyways cheers!
Quote by The SoundGuy
dont they already have that on the website?
anyways cheers!

Not like mine though
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9