Hey peeps!
Im Simon from Denmark

So it all started in 2002 with me trying to pick up guitar, but i only had a hollow body (Unknown brand, couldnt hold tunings very well). I tried to make something out of it, but the guitar was shit, time went on and playing guitar seemed like a one of those unreachable goals.

Now 12 years later, i watched the interview of James Hetfield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eq9RVKT9XQ I was again sucked in with inspiration, and i allied myself with a Goth Explorer, James hetfield snakebyte picks and a Peavey Vypyr VIP amp and Rocksmith 2014. Now im ready!

And oh boy stuff is happening at 2 months i can play Enter Sandman and Holier than thou at 89 and 95% on rocksmith (now im also practiseing them without rocksmith because, rocksmith is nice and all, but too helpfull, it doenst help memorise how the song goes guitarwise, only helps finger memory), currently my failures are bad timeing and overcompensating. So i grind these songs alot, and my picking speed has incresed voilently, i went from being able to make thrash triplets at 120bpm, now going at 180bpm, and my downpicking at 170bpm. Its really nice to sit with the guitar and just smile and be happy for progress, i never credit myself alot, but the guitar is really good at telling the truth and sometimes its cosists of nice steady rythm and sound, other times its just plain awfull xD

Man oh man, i can sit there doing powerchords at my amp, try to make riffs and stuff at my amp for hours on end. Its so awsome!!!!!

I Got some questions!

1. My index finger on left hand (i refer to it as my E5 powerchord finger of doom) Its starting to hurt alot, not like broken hurt, just sore, sore as shit, im allways warming up before going metal. But trying to play holier than thou at 90/100% speed 20times with cigerette breaks between just makes it sore alot next when i wake up next morning its impossile to make my fingertip tuch the finger root without warm shower and bending it bit by bit. Is this bad?

2. Some people have socks and stuff around their guitar neck, it looks stupid and lazy, what does it do? and am i missing out?

3. Im a rythm guitar player to the core (perhaps even simpleminded in that regard), i like heavy rythm that got *umphf* to it, doesnt take much to make me happy. Will i ever need to learn a scale? (finger exersice and technique cast aside here).

4. Why do i feel like keys and notes in general is like....rocket science. Im scared man, dont know if im ever gonna get it down right xD
Last edited by Asmodeuz at Apr 7, 2014,
Quote by Asmodeuz

1. My index finger on left hand (i refer to it as my E5 powerchord finger of doom) Its starting to hurt alot, not like broken hurt, just sore, sore as shit, im allways warming up before going metal. But trying to play holier than thou at 90/100% speed 20times with cigerette breaks between just makes it sore alot next when i wake up next morning its impossile to make my fingertip tuch the finger root without warm shower and bending it bit by bit. Is this bad?

2. Some people have socks and stuff around their guitar neck, it looks stupid and lazy, what does it do? and am i missing out?

3. Im a rythm guitar player to the core (perhaps even simpleminded in that regard), i like heavy rythm that got *umphf* to it, doesnt take much to make me happy. Will i ever need to learn a scale? (finger exersice and technique cast aside here).

4. Why do i feel like keys and notes in general is like....rocket science. Im scared man, dont know if im ever gonna get it down right xD

1. no idea there.. cant help you with that sorry.

2. its basically there to cut out extra noise... some people, use hairbands, some use scarfs... its more of a recording thing really but u can use it otherwise as well..
i used to have it... but now i took it off... basically it'll cut out some extra noise life if you accidentally brushed the next string and u get that string noise... it'll kinda dampen it..
i took mine out, coz im practicing to play cleaner without it being there.. theres nothing wrong in having it or not having it

3. yes... regardless of whether your playing rhythms or solos you'll need to learn scales to become a better songwriter.. or else you'll end up becoming one of them deathcore douchebags overplaying the 0 and calling it "breakdowns"

4. its not rocket science... once u get into it its quite fun and easy and you'll get more creative ideas... its just some crap that floats around the internet makes it seem like rocket science.

anyways.. happy playing!
sorry for the double post... but yeah... also to add to the 4th point...

maybe you're trying to cannonball into the deep end of a pool without knowing how to swim... if you know what i mean.... there's so much info out there... and nothing that tells you "START HERE" so maybe you're trying to understand the circle of fifths, without actually knowing what intervals are and what key signatures are... i'd suggest checking out some very beginner level books on theory.. that start from the first step.... if you're interested in that stuff that is..
Hey Soundguy, thanks for the response! Really nice of you

Death before deathcore, thats for sure!

Oh well looks like id better start leaning guitar basics, im just having so much fun playing around power chords and fast heavy sounds xD

I must agree my approach is perhaps too agressive, and im really trying to run before i can walk.
1. No idea here too mate. Although in guitar, if it hurts, you're doing it wrong is a safe way to go about it.

2.Yup, refer to the soundguys answer above

3.being a rhythm guitarist is hard and underatted. If you are a good rhythm guitarist, take pride in that. People take it for granted. Being tight and handling perfect executions are hard. But, at the same time, without soloing and the extra tid bits apart from the rhythm part, you're kind of wasting a good skill within your reach. Its always good to be able to shred or pull out a cool lick.

4. Music theory is a debatable subject. But if its difficulty you're talking about then

the fundamentals are easy as hell. Dont be intimitated by it, but once you start diving into more advanced stuff, things get frustrating. But as a casual player, and potential songwriter and musician, you wont really requird anything past the fundamentals.