When I started playing, of course I used factory standard settings. As I got better, I kept raising the action because I missed the struggle I used to have with my guitar.

I dunno if it's nostalgia or it's some kind of fear, afraid that I'll have nowhere to go next, but this is getting me worried.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's addicted to struggling with their guitar.

I mean, look at where I put it now.

Any guys out there who's having this kind of mental fixation like I do?
Attachments:
WP_20140407_21_51_40_Pro.jpg
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Last edited by Archer250 at Apr 7, 2014,
I play with my action a bit higher. I get fumble fingers and tend to press a lot harder when I play live, so I counteract it by making myself dig a bit in practice so it balances out.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Yeah, but that's rather a physical precondition, don't you think? Mine starts as a mental one which makes me reliant on high action now.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Why would you be addicted to struggling at the guitar? Why would anyone like the feeling of being bad at something?

That's super high, your intonation must be whacked.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I have loads of trouble with my action.

I have it how I like it, I pick up another guitar, try and get that one to be like the other one, then go back to the old one after a while and that's too low!

My action has gotten higher and higher to the point where it's pretty damn high. But I play blues/hard/rock stuff so for big bends and vibrato etc I need to be able to get under the strings.

I think I'm good with 2 of my regular guitars now, and I really should learn how to do it myself because going into the shop to get them to look at it can be tedious.

[EDIT] None of them are that high!!! Bloody hell!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Apr 7, 2014,
Yeah, TS that's a bit too high if you ask me, you are talking serious intonation problems...

I like it a bit higher as well, it just feels better to me, but that is a bit much... Maybe just try some larger gauge strings and normal action?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
You must be crazy to have it that high. Suggest some relaxation exercises to do before going on stage. There is no way you are going to play fast riff with that action and no way that the intonation will be correct, and it is straining your guitar as well.
Eddie Van Halen hated low action, he set his high on purpose. So TS, whatever floats your boat there bud.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Personal preference aside, higher action will indeed force you to expend more energy and force on sound extraction - that is not a good practice if you wish to be the best you can be, finger strength is important when developing your play, but once you achieve the strength - you must now focus on minimizing the effort and energy expenditure.
Anyone else like a bit of struggle with their action?

Nope.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
i like to feel the strings under my finders. super low action just doesn't do that. not crazy high but not typical shredder action either.
In a zombie infection incident you will be my side, and I will fuel you with all the arrows you could dream of.

I have a Fritz Ruler and it tells you high and low action with black lines to help you get a basic action. I use mine just below the High Action side on both E's and that seems fine. But that is like super low action compared to what you use. But what ever works for you do it.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Apr 7, 2014,
I don't like too low action, but not that high either. But if it works for you, it's OK.
Thanks for all your input. I've partially solved my problem by covering the stud post adjustment hole. No more sudden alterations by impulse
Gear:
I like my action as low as it can go. Tapping (which I do a lot of) is so much easier that way. Plus I'm just used to it. Plus I fret and pick lightly because I don't want to destroy my strings with my metal picks.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I like my action as low as it can go. Tapping (which I do a lot of) is so much easier that way. Plus I'm just used to it. Plus I fret and pick lightly because I don't want to destroy my strings with my metal picks.

Pretty much the opposite of what I do. I pick really hard, and I found sweep picking (which I do all the time) easier to mute with medium-high action.
Gear:
I like low action on an electric guitar. I don't see the point in "a bit of struggle with the guitar" (which in the case of the original poster is a LOT of struggle with the guitar), leastways not with a solid body electric.