Lots of bands gig without monitors. You will be able to hear the vocals much better with them though.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
In small venues the main purpose of the monitors is to let the vocalist(s) (and the rest of the band) hear the vocals. In fact, if backline amplifiers are used it is quite normal to have only vocals in the monitor mix. If you are playing with your backline so loud that the vocalist cannot here the vocal he/she will almost always sign out of key (flat) and your band will sound crap. In the 1960's / 70's most small (club/pub) bands had no monitors and relied on being to here the mains reflect back from the walls.
Last edited by PSimonR at Apr 7, 2014,
It depends.

Do you want to hear what everyone's playing?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You need to be able to hear everyone else, too. It won't be like at practice. You will not be able to hear much of anyone else if you're relying on "stage sound". I'm guessing there is no PA where you are going to play?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
You'll be a lot happier if you have them. I can't imagine playing a show without them -- I need mine to hear the vocals and acoustic guitar if nothing else. I also typically keep my amp volume down and get some of my guitar through my monitor too, as it makes it easier to mix the sound out front.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Well the problem is is that if I get a stage monitor I also need a mixer and those are like $1000 dollars
I'm guessing you are significantly underestimating what you need. What kind of gig is this? I can't imagine playing a full band gig without a mixer.

Gear:
Well, I formed a band and I want to play at some places or at least have the equipment. That's why I asked if I need monitors because mixers are thousands of dollars when I could just use my amp only and have nothing miced.
It's a rare thing, at least in my town, to play somewhere where they don't have a house system as far as the PA goes. Maybe this isn't true where you are? You can usually find decent enough systems that don't cost thousands of dollars if you check used gear and keep your eyes open.
There aren't many places where just your amps are going to be enough. Especially if you're doing vocals, too.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
It probably is dependent on the scene you are in, and whether you are playing covers or originals. In the covers business here in CT, I have only played one venue in the last 4 years that provided their own sound/light production. It would be slightly different for the original music scene, although there is a bunch of crossover venue-wise.

At the very least, you will need a PA to be able to project vocals. If you are trying to do it on the cheap, you could probably score a small powered mixer and a couple of speakers for the $500 range used.

If I were you though, I wouldn't worry about investing any money in PA gear until you have gigs booked and you know the situation.

Gear:
Do most places have the mixer and PA or just PA? Edit: right when I posted the person above me posted so I didn't see that most places do not even have a PA
Last edited by 457undead at Apr 7, 2014,
If they have a PA system, it would include a mixer.

Gear:
Quote by 457undead
Do they also have mics to mic?

Suggest you go to some gigs, observe and ask.

It varies so much from venue to venue, city to city, country to country.

If you tell us a) what sort of music, b) what size of band, c) what size of venue maybe we can tell you what size of PA / monitors.

Personally I would never do a gig without an off-stage mixer and at least vocal monitors. PA systems can be hired too, but don't cost so much secondhand. Get yourself a sound man to advise perhaps?
I suggest you rent only the sound you need based on the type of gig and add the cost to your performance fees.

My different performance gear needs:

*Busking in the street or intimate party- Acoustic guitars only

*Instrumental blues gig at the local bar- 2x15w guitar amps, bass amp, drum kit.

*Small gig in tight room with 4pc band and vocals- Simple 4ch PA and 2 speakers

*Medium gig for 200-500 people, 4 pc band- small mixer, vocal mics only, personal monitors.

*Larger gig for maybe 2000 people- Sound crew with mics on everything and full PA w/monitors.

*10,000 seat outdoor show- Sound crew with mics on everything, line array and IEMs with custom monitor mix.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If you have a keyboard player or vocalist you'd probably need them. If you play at places small like your rehearsal/practice space you could get by without. Most bands even use a monitor or 4 for practice!

But usually you'd use monitors OR in ear monitors. I personally would never gig without a monitor.
Last edited by cheesefries at Apr 7, 2014,
In a full band there's no ****ing way I'd play without foldback. That's just crazy talk.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification