I'm looking at buying a reverb pedal but can't decide which would be best. Beyond spring reverb, I really want a good hall reverb, and plate would be good too. And that's all.

I'm using a Les Paul into a clean Fender BJ, with a number of effects pedals before the amp.

I don't want to spend too much. My first thought was the EHX Holy Grail Max, which does everything I need, but watching YouTube clips, it sounds like it slightly affects tone. Then I spotted the TCE Hall of Fame, which seems to sound sterile. And of course there's the EHX Cathedral Reverb, which does everything but looks a bit complex and over-the-top for what I need.

Has anyone got these pedals or listened to them enough in reality to advise me as to which is the best, or at least, what they're like. I've never bought pedals from either brand. Can anyone help?
Last edited by Stringbob at Apr 7, 2014,
The hall of fame sounds great. I'd definitely recommend it. Not sterile.

The cathedral is really good for anything except huge ambient reverbs. It isn't hard to set up. It just has a few knobs and a few modes and you set them the way you want.

The holy grail might be cool, but I have no experience with it.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Dr. Scientist Mini Reverberator. Check it out.
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
I like my boss rv5 but i just like a little bit of reverb to extend my sound. It does have a lot of options though.
Go for the Hall of Fame, used my friend's pedal and absolutely loved the variety of sounds you can get out of it
I'd go for the Hall Of Fame. It's pretty great, and not sterile at all.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Hardwire RV-7 is great.

Better than anything else mentioned so far IMO.

I also like the Line 6 verbs a lot, I use my M9 for all of my reverb. They have a little standalone one, the Verbzilla, and there's also the M5.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Line 6 M5 isnt a bad shout as youd be getting a tonne of other FX too and you could probably get a used one for about £70.

Hall of Fame is great, easy to come by used too.

Ive got both pedals. I would say i prefered the reverb on the HoF overall but the M5 has so much more going on
If you're into that stuff, a quadraverb 2 has reverbs (and some other funny stuff) way better sounding than any pedal I've heard.

If you want the footswitching, pair it with a behringer FCB1010 and you have a whole multi fx processor.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Apr 8, 2014,
Thanks for the responses. I decided to opt for the holy grail max in the end. It only took a couple of youtube clips to wow me, whereas a dozen clips of the tc pedal did nothing.