I've asked a few of my friends the question "When was your earliest memory? When did you start feeling conscious?". A lot of my friends say 4-5 and I myself have my earliest memory at 4. But I asked a few more people and a few responses were surprising! Some said: 6, 7, and even 8! When I told them, some children can remember many days of being 2 years old, they shook it off and didn't believe me, which I responded "The reason you can't believe it is because you can't perceive being able to remember that far back".
I think it would be amazing to seem to wake up one day being 7 or 8 years old knowing how to read without remembering the pain of learning vowels and other things as well. Do you think people who remember further back have a more faster objective view of the world? Many child prodigies started playing piano at the age of 3, and I also wonder if they can remember their first lessons.
I'd imagine if they don't remember that far back, it must feel that music truly is a part of their being, as if they knew it all their life.
Don't get me wrong, my friend recieved a near perfect on his SAT and is super fast at running. However he admits to only remembering his 7th birthday.
I don't really understand what you are trying to discuss here.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I just wanted to know how you guys felt about this subject. And maybe put in some of your own insights of course.
child prodigies are just tiny dorks

My firstish memory is from when I was two, if that's what you're asking.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Well, for as long as I can remember, I've had memories.

So that ends that discussion.

But actually, my memories don't kick in until like 8. Supposedly because I was borderline ADHD and the medicine I was taking for it was known to cause memory loss... or something like that? I don't remember.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Apr 7, 2014,
I don't recall any detail beyond a few years in the past. On a side note, if you're going to participate in armchair philosophy or theorycrafting, you'd have to try harder than "what if A implies B" whilst providing no argumentation as to why that should be.
Joshua, I think that is pretty cool. So you remember being handled in the hospital and getting your cord clipped?
I have many vivid memories from shortly before about two, I only really know that they're from that time because I asked my dad about them once and he told about when they happened. I recall there being a study saying something about the correlation between how far back people can remember and their IQ or cognitive ability. If anything I think how far back you can remember mostly just changes time perception
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
I just wanted to know how you guys felt about this subject. And maybe put in some of your own insights of course.

I'm pretty sure my first memory is from when I was 4. But my memory is really fucked and all over the place, so I don't trust it when it comes to early memories.
banned
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
Joshua, I think that is pretty cool. So you remember being handled in the hospital and getting your cord clipped?

I remember it like it was just yesterday
Sail upon the open skies
I remember seeing Eisenhower on TV when he was still president so like 2.
Actually I remember watching him with my mother more so than Eisenhower but still just 2 at the oldest.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I have one memory when I was about 2-3. I had this blue,yellow, mostly red stuffed parrot, and I had it in my spot I liked it. One day it wasn't there, then I saw my brother stole it. I was pissed and wanted to break his face, we'll prob pinch him idk.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
I have a theory that "memories" are actually a sensation, like taste or smell.

Think of synesthesia--where one sense triggers another. You smell an apple and you can taste an apple. Memory could work the same way.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham

Think of synesthesia--where one sense triggers another. You smell an apple and you can taste an apple. Memory could work the same way.

So thats why when I ate fish last friday it conjured up the time when I went down on my first gf....
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
My earliest memory has to be from when I was maybe 2? I'll have to ask my parents, cuz I don't know for sure. I was "helping" my dad build a frame for my "big boy bed" so whatever age I went from a crib with rails (which I think I might remember climbing out of once) to an actual bed (still a really small bed)

edit: the thing is though, my memory is very patchy before the age of 10 or so, and I have trouble remembering stuff from 8th grade until someone I went to school with reminds me of something.

doubledit: Mom said between 2 and 3 because I was jumping over the rails out of the bed, so I guess my memory is right.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Apr 7, 2014,
Quote by Jackal58
I remember seeing Eisenhower on TV when he was still president so like 2.
Actually I remember watching him with my mother more so than Eisenhower but still just 2 at the oldest.

lol u old
banned
My first memory was when I was 3, and it was a few months before my 4th birthday. I had this really bad cold that led to me being in the hospital for a few days. About week after getting out of the hospital, I ended up getting stitches on my forehead.

I've always been really good with remembering very small and minor details. I forget how it came up today, butt I was able to tell my mom and sister the exact layout of my (second) cousins' house that they lived in when I was about 5 years old. It's odd how I can easily remember shit like that.
Skip the username, call me Billy
I remember bits and pieces of random things. But most of my childhood is cloudy. Though I did have one concussion when I was 1-2 and another when I was around 4 so that explains a lot.
Quote by eGraham

But smell and taste are linked outside of synesthesia.
I began remembering at 3 years old.

( suck it inferior beings who become lucid at 8 years old )

It's mostly hazy though.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Last edited by Good_Lord at Apr 7, 2014,
The earliest memory I have, I was sitting on the floor in the k.itchen of a house that my family lived in before we moved. We lived there until I was about 6. I was a baby and my dad was playing with me and talking to me. I don't know what he was saying as I didn't have language yet. I was slightly younger than 2 years old. It's also like theres "mist" everywhere in my head because there's no way I can remember every little detail.
Last edited by macashmack at Apr 7, 2014,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
My earliest memory has to be from when I was maybe 2? I'll have to ask my parents, cuz I don't know for sure. I was "helping" my dad build a frame for my "big boy bed" so whatever age I went from a crib with rails (which I think I might remember climbing out of once) to an actual bed (still a really small bed)

edit: the thing is though, my memory is very patchy before the age of 10 or so, and I have trouble remembering stuff from 8th grade until someone I went to school with reminds me of something.

doubledit: Mom said between 2 and 3 because I was jumping over the rails out of the bed, so I guess my memory is right.

Ah right I remember trying to climb out of mine once and falling on a giant teddy bear that I had. I was probably 2.
my earliest memory is around 1 and a half
my dad putting my dog down because of rabies
i remember them telling me to stay away from him cause he was sick and me still trying to pet him

i also remembering having trouble understanding what my mom meant by go away
until i overheard my dad saying he shot him and that made more sense
When I get really high I have visions of past memories, mostly dreams though. I can't remember how old I was but dreams are the oldest memories of mine.
Quote by macashmack
The earliest memory I have is when I was about 2

Same here, 2. I have a lot of photos from when I was little and having them seems to have helped me remember way back then so well.

I don't have any photos where i'm like, "I don't recall that."
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by TwoPlusTwo
"The reason you can't believe it is because you can't perceive being able to remember that far back".

I don't know what this sentence is supposed to mean.

As far as I'm aware, the general scientific consensus is that long term memory develops around two (as in you're not really cognitively equipped to form memories of that type before then), but of course that doesn't mean you're necessarily going to form any long term memories of that type immediately, your first memories could still be years later.

But of course there's also a lot of different types of memory (I know this is all sounding pretty pseudo-scientific, sorry), and I'm guessing most people are talking about episodic memories when they talk about their first memory - like "I remember event x when y happened".
I'm assuming we must have other types of memory from pretty much birth or else we'd forget our parents' faces every 5 minutes and never be able to learn to do anything.

I remember vaguely what the wallpaper in my bedroom as a baby looked like, which must have been around 2 or younger as I was in a baby bed and in an old house which I don't remember moving from, but my first memory of an actual event would be 3 or 4 I guess? But yeah actual firm memories of particular events are pretty thin on the ground through to about 10 maybe.