This is long, sorry in advance. If you make it through, thanks for reading.

I had been saving cash for an Les Paul and was particularly interested in the 2014 LP Studio Pro. Over the last week I had been testing out several guitars at my local shop. I decided Saturday afternoon that it was time to go buy one. I couldn't wait any longer. Thanks to my shift lead Steven for covering for me so I could leave work early

I played a few different Gibsons and was largely disappointed. The best playing Gibson I found was a Melody Maker. My shop had an LP 60s Tribute that was pretty good, but something wasn't right about it. Also had an SG Standard that was complete trash. The fret ends could be used for a weapon of Game of Thrones.

I am really put out with Gibson now. If I had the cash I would buy a new LP Classic and I suspect the quality would be better on them. But something leaves me a little pissed feeling that I have to spend that much money to a good Gibson.

Played some PRS SE's and liked them, but wasn't interested in buying one brand new there are so many good deals on them used. I think they are the best in their price range.

Just for giggles I pulled a PRS S2 Custom 24 off the wall. It was the only S2 they had in the shop. Prior to playing an S2 I had the feeling that it was just an over-priced SE that they jacked the price up on because it was made here in the States. I was as wrong as wrong can be...

Literally within moments of playing it I knew I was taking it home. It played like a dream. The neck and frets were perfect. Body was nice and light, but balanced perfectly with zero neck-dive. Sounds very resonant and clear. I played it through an HRD and it sounded amazing. At home it is getting the most out of my Blues Jr. I pulled it off the wall and didn't put it down until I handed to the salesman and told him I was buying it.

I got $50 off because of a ding on the underside of the body that really isn't visible unless you are looking for it. But since this is one hell of a player of a guitar, I plan on whooping the shit out it anyway. I take care of my gear, but it is going to get played hard. It just responds so well to digging in and ripping it that you have to do it.

So, if you were like me and scoffed at the S2, change you mind quick. It really is a an amazing quality guitar. While the SE's are great, and like I said best in the price range IMO, the S2's blow the SE's away. The axe is amazing for the price. I do think it was worth the price increase over an SE.

On a side note, my CVC Telecaster played better than any of the Gibsons I've rocked in the past week. Seriously. I am not joking. Those Gibsons felt like a joke of a guitar. I love American made, I want to support the companies who keep jobs at home, and while trying to turn political and hi-jack my own NGD thread, I left the shop shaking my head in shame at how those $1000 Gibsons felt.

Give an S2 a chance if you have the budget to spend on one. You will not be disappointed. It is not a stepped-up SE.

I will get a video playing it through my Blues Jr and my Rat clone tomorrow and post it up.
Ibanez SR1200E
Congrats on the new guitar. I, personally, was not that impressed with them, especially at that price point. Glad to hear you were satisfied. HNGD!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
Congrats on the new guitar. I, personally, was not that impressed with them, especially at that price point. Glad to hear you were satisfied. HNGD!!!

Honestly, I am still struggling with it. I love the guitar, but is it worth an extra $600 to $700 over an SE? I don't know that it is. All I know is that I had the cash and I had to have the guitar because I was so impressed with it.

On of the reasons why I bought it over an SE is that I felt the S2 didn't need anything. It is great stock IMO. If I bought an SE I would have ordered new pups and a new nut as soon as I got home. I know I still would have come away cheaper buying an SE, but none of the ones I've ever played felt as good and easy to play as the S2.
Ibanez SR1200E
Your Custom 24 looks really good. The McCarty Tobacco Sunburst finish is a classy choice, and then the uncovered pickups with black covers and transparent lampshade knobs give it a modern touch. I like it very much. HNGD!

On the Gibson subject, I think Gibson still makes excellent guitars. Their problem is consistency. For every top-notch Gibson I find, I go through loads of them with faults, defects -- every sort of things wrong with them. Some of them clearly should've never even left the factory in the first place, much less being on display for sale at a store.

Talking with a store owner about it once, he said he noticed the problems with them all the time, but since some people want Gibsons, and his contract with Gibson that forced him to have a minimum quantity of guitars on display (some models chosen by Gibson themselves), he had no choice but to have those guitars to satisfy customers. And that Gibson was very difficult to deal with when he complained about guitars arriving with problems; he'd return some guitars and Gibson would send them right back claiming they were in perfect shape.

On the other hand, the quality of Paul Reed Smith guitars is very consistent, across their whole range. I've never used a PRS that I could find a manufacturing problem with.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Welcome to the club. USA made PRS guitars are top-notch production guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
nice. i would like to get my hands on those. need strings, time for a GC run.

...and ive been saying that about gibson for years. i dont think the overall guild is bad, but aspects of fit and finish, etc are disappointing on such an expensive guitar. and i feel like for every feature, gibsion charges 2x what a smaller brand would. or...gibson lists "features" that other guitars are starting to come standard with. stuff like that.

playing devils advocate - a les paul still sounds like....a kick ass les paul.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
nice. i would like to get my hands on those. need strings, time for a GC run.

...and ive been saying that about gibson for years. i dont think the overall guild is bad, but aspects of fit and finish, etc are disappointing on such an expensive guitar. and i feel like for every feature, gibsion charges 2x what a smaller brand would. or...gibson lists "features" that other guitars are starting to come standard with. stuff like that.

playing devils advocate - a les paul still sounds like....a kick ass les paul.

Yeah, one day I will find the ONE and buy it. You are exactly right.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by Linkerman
Your Custom 24 looks really good. The McCarty Tobacco Sunburst finish is a classy choice, and then the uncovered pickups with black covers and transparent lampshade knobs give it a modern touch. I like it very much. HNGD!

On the Gibson subject, I think Gibson still makes excellent guitars. Their problem is consistency. For every top-notch Gibson I find, I go through loads of them with faults, defects -- every sort of things wrong with them. Some of them clearly should've never even left the factory in the first place, much less being on display for sale at a store.

Talking with a store owner about it once, he said he noticed the problems with them all the time, but since some people want Gibsons, and his contract with Gibson that forced him to have a minimum quantity of guitars on display (some models chosen by Gibson themselves), he had no choice but to have those guitars to satisfy customers. And that Gibson was very difficult to deal with when he complained about guitars arriving with problems; he'd return some guitars and Gibson would send them right back claiming they were in perfect shape.

On the other hand, the quality of Paul Reed Smith guitars is very consistent, across their whole range. I've never used a PRS that I could find a manufacturing problem with.

They have a solid customer base with disposable income. I am not going to criticize people who buy Gibsons because I am a Fender fan-boy. Just going out on a limb here... but I think Gibson's core market are the baby-boomers, who are retiring and taking cuts in disposable income. They will need to address quality issues to maintain market share as their core customers die off. The problem is, companies like PRS have already invaded the younger market.

Whatever, I got a smoking guitar for a good price and I love it.
Ibanez SR1200E
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I have been playing most all day through a Boss Metal Zone that I picked up from my guitar tech this morning (thanks to a kind, generous, and patient wife).

Tuners are rock solid, and the trem is super stable, with what little bit I've used it. Neck is smooth as a baby's arse. Apparently the pups are imported, but the sound very nice. Switch, jack, and pots seem to be solid and smooth. Though I normally do not get past the 19th fret, the upper fret access all the way to 23 and 24 is pretty damn good.

Apparently the body is all maple, and the top of it has a nice pattern. I wish I had a different color, but it is nice as it is, and I was not letting this guitar go. The body balance for a guitar this light is amazing. No neck dive.

TLDR: I was a dummy for thinking it was just an SE. Not that I am slamming SE's, because I am really digging the Fredrik Akesson model.
Ibanez SR1200E
Haha, sounds just what I went through 2 months ago. I too set out to get a Les Paul, tired studio to traditional to custom classics, I could find a manufacturing defect in each and everyone.

A week later I found a PRS Custom 24 with a 10 top. BAM! I was in love, and still am.

Don't get me wrong, I still would like a Les Paul but finding a nice one new is like fairy dust, I think I might look for a used one in the future, I hear they used to be better made.
I got to play one of these a couple days ago and my thoughts are pretty much the same as yours.

It didn't blow me away notably, but it was very notable in that I never had any thoughts of feelings of discomfort, or anything lacking in the tone. It was delightfully low key, if I can say that. It didn't blow me away on playability, but it was nice to play.

And yes, QC was incredible on it.

A few weeks ago I was playing a Gibby LP Special, and it was just laughably bad. Like old school Chinese $50 guitar bad. The binding was a gunky disaster, frets were sharp, finish blemishes. Really depressing honestly.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Watch the Gibson factory tour on Youtube, there is a guy at the end of the line that does Quality Control.

They either fired him and never replaced him so now guitars just coming off the assembly line out into the real world with no checks on them. Or that there is still a guy who works there but they all should be fired and replaced with someone who knows what a quality guitar looks and feels like. Because guitars like these does the company's reputation no good at all.
Quote by Offworld92
I got to play one of these a couple days ago and my thoughts are pretty much the same as yours.

It didn't blow me away notably, but it was very notable in that I never had any thoughts of feelings of discomfort, or anything lacking in the tone. It was delightfully low key, if I can say that. It didn't blow me away on playability, but it was nice to play.

And yes, QC was incredible on it.

A few weeks ago I was playing a Gibby LP Special, and it was just laughably bad. Like old school Chinese $50 guitar bad. The binding was a gunky disaster, frets were sharp, finish blemishes. Really depressing honestly.

"Delightfully low key" is a good description of the looks. The sound is very nice for he price point IMO.

Also, not trying to start a flame war, but the Gibsons I tried sucked. And I am being polite about it.
Ibanez SR1200E
Hn Prs D!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Offworld92

You'll be surprised at the amount of people spending 2000+ dollars on a Gibson that when you bend the string gets stuck in the binding "nubs" (fairly common).... + a terribly cut nut on damn near all of them... And they just call it character...

I love a "good" Gibson but the headstock fan boys are enabling them to make subpar stuff these days. Finding a good one is like finding a good MIM fender. Gotta play about 20 before you get a decently built one. Studios/specials and below you might as well spend a month playing as many as you can.

Remember.... "Only a Gibson is good enough" LOL
Last edited by cheesefries at Apr 9, 2014,
It's hard not to hate on Gibson. I don't want to be a Gibson hater. I'm saving up for a real Firebird VII to replace my Epi.

But I have to call it as I see it. Some of the stuff on the shelves SHOULD NOT have gone out. By any company for any reason.

$600 (or however much the Special was, I don't remember. Maybe $800 or something) is relatively cheap in terms of guitars, but stepping back from the guitar world, $600 is a lot of money for most people, and for that much money QC should be a consistent bottom line, regardless of quality of materials or features.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 9, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
It's hard not to hate on Gibson. I don't want to be a Gibson hater. I'm saving up for a real Firebird VII to replace my Epi.

But I have to call it as I see it. Some of the stuff on the shelves SHOULD NOT have gone out. By any company for any reason.

$600 (or however much the Special was, I don't remember. Maybe $800 or something) is relatively cheap in terms of guitars, but stepping back from the guitar world, $600 is a lot of money for most people, and for that much money QC should be a consistent bottom line, regardless of quality of materials or features.

I was looking at the Custom Classic, which was £1299, thats $2,000 USD and I could see a few bits that should've been picked up on QC.
Welcome to the PRS family. It only gets more expensive from here
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by pachap

There it is, lounging comfortably on the leather sofa...the chill axe.

I know, thass turrible, turrible.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Here is a new family photo. Had to take a day off work to relax and rest my aching muscles. Straightened up the man cave a bit and snapped a nice pic.

By the way, I bought that cheap 3/4 sized Luna acoustic a few years ago for my daughter. It is a pretty good strummer and was well worth the $140'ish I spent on it.
Ibanez SR1200E