Today I traded a 2000's model Tube Screamer for an older Ibanez guitar. It needs a little TLC. I googled everything I could google to find info on this thing. All I came up with was the old catalog scans from the 70's. Then I saw it! A 1976 Custom Series Model # 2662.

The serial number is just "76" stamped in the fret board. The guitar seems to be missing the original tail piece and I'm not too sure if the bridge is original. I'm guessing due to the lack of information on the internet...the parts for these things are close to impossible to find. My main question is: Is it worth searching for original parts and restoring? OR just put some Gibson hardware on it and call it a day?

Thank you in advance for any info you guys may have on this axe. I think it's pretty cool!
Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg
Interesting...it has Star tuning keys, to boot! The 2662 is definitely a rarity. This article has a picture of what it used to look like; tailpiece and all:

(Invalid img)

Ibanez recycled the "Model Number" 2662 (the number; not the guitar design), so it sometimes shows up as some form of the Iceman model.

It might well be worth it to have it restored to its original condition. It is a lawsuit-era Ibanez, and that by itself makes it a collector's item. It is also one that you simply do not encounter very often.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Wow, I am happy for you. That is certainly a interesting piece. If I were you I would get it as clean and original as possible and hang it on the wall. But since I am me I would plug it in to a Marshall and whoop the hell out of it. I bet it is a player and sounds great.
Ibanez SR1200E
Something tells me I'll be searching for that tailpiece for a very long time. Very tempted to put a Tune o Matic & stop bar on it just to get it up & running. But that means drill holes.
I wonder if Doug Doppler might have an extra Tailpiece laying around?
Quote by jasdom
Something tells me I'll be searching for that tailpiece for a very long time. Very tempted to put a Tune o Matic & stop bar on it just to get it up & running. But that means drill holes.

Just hit up the Ibanez Collector's Forum -- they should probably be able to point you at the bits and pieces you need.

I bought an '82 Ibanez AR-300 from a guy who told me his guitar was all original. Well, except for the knobs, which, he thought, looked a bit too much like skate board wheels. So he replaced them with an $8.00 set of Gibson Speed Knobs. He was *sure* he had the originals "around here somewhere." But no. We went online to find the knobs' value, and he found that he'd lost about $200 worth of the guitar's value with that one lame decision; those knobs were going for $45 each on eBay at the time.