Hi all

To many of you this may seem very obvious, but I was pleasantly surprised. Skip to the end if you dont care about my details.

I just moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend and there is a walk-in closet just outside of the master bedroom. I decided to use it for my guitar gear/playing since it was more isolated than all of the other rooms. Tonewise- I wasn't expecting much. Its a small room (4'x6.5') but its heavily carpeted and has a nice thick wood door too.

But holy crap- what an improvement in tone I've had just by simply switching rooms. Bass sounds much more full, fat, and round- especially on my strat, which is great because I love a nice fat strat tone. I noticed that any changes I make to my mids actually makes a sizeable difference in the tone now (before it just either sounded scooped or honky). And the highs are more snappy and sparkly (unless i crank them too much). Gain fattens it up even more now too, and less gain seems more usable than before.

I wasnt expecting such a big difference. I know amps sound different in different rooms, but I usually sit directly in front of my cab ~ 5 or 6 feet away at ear level (yes, my master is usually at around 1-1.5), so I wouldnt have expected the room to change it so much. Tone was much more dull in every respect before (I played in a basement w/ concrete floors below a set of wood stairs).

I have a bunch of roxul safe n sound lying around. Im probably going to wrap it up and place it on the walls so I can record in there too.

My tip? If youre like me and you obsess about your amp and pedals and never feel fully satisified with your tone.. just take a step back and try your gear in a different room. It makes a remarkable difference. Btw- Best tones I ever got were outdoors in a huge yard with a cranked egnater vengeance
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

HNRD!

I give it 3 days
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
HNRD! I give it 2 days and 3 hours.

I have the same LTD EC1000!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Lol, she's already giving me "ish" about stealing the walk in closet. She needs a hobby or something
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
Lol, she's already giving me "ish" about stealing the walk in closet. She needs a hobby or something

Buy her a drum kit
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Watterboy

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
311 you are back!!! how ya been?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by lucky1978
Buy her a drum kit

thats great if you want to commit suicide. do you understand how annoying shitty drummers or just friends are on a drum set ****ing around.

i drape my sets for that reason.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Cool. I've done similar things.

The 'closet' rig reminds me of IbanezPsycho.

Anyone remember him?

Anyway - HNRD

any luck with your Vengeance BTW?

I was about to ask, is that you IbanezPsycho?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I envy you. I play in a brick walled, concrete floored shed. I've always known that the acoustics in there were shit, but I just don't know how to fix it! The room is too big for me to cover the walls in foam as well. At least I can play loudly .

Happy for you pal.
sweet

finally someone took cathbard's advice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by wildozer
I envy you. I play in a brick walled, concrete floored shed. I've always known that the acoustics in there were shit, but I just don't know how to fix it! The room is too big for me to cover the walls in foam as well. At least I can play loudly .

Happy for you pal.

Please excuse my deviation from the original topic, but:

You don't need to cover you walls in foam, just treat it well enough that sound isn't directly reflecting back and forth between parallel walls. Changing the placement of furniture, and laying down a rug under wherever your amp is, might be all that you really need, unless you're planning to record there.

The major problem with brick walls and concrete floors is there's nothing to really mitigate frequencies from bouncing around and creating massive buildup. Because of this, you usually have a harsh high end throughout the room and lots of bass buildup in corners. Traditional walls, while not really optimal for acoustics, at least have the benefit of allowing sound to pass through them more readily, which softens your high end, plus any insulation will also help with alleviating excessive bass. Concrete, since it's so dense, doesn't really do this - however... it does have the benefit of not allowing sound to escape from the outside, which means your sound isolation is usually very high in comparison to a framed wall, so it's unlikely that neighbors will hear your amp late at night, unless your windows are poorly sealed (or open).

I was actually thinking about building a studio in an existing building that was made out of brick and had an open concrete slab. Unfortunately, the cost ended up being far too high for what I'd get out of it - but the acoustics would have ended up being quite interesting. Are you surrounded on all sides by brick, or are some of the walls framed? My intention for the live room of the studio was to purposely leave two walls brick (though, I'd still hang acoustic paneling on them), to create the atmosphere of a bigger room, while framing in the two opposite walls, to keep the room from having too much echo.

My point is, the brick can be used to your advantage quite nicely - it's just a bitch to treat properly on a budget, while still having it look nice. Also - don't even bother buying "acoustic" foam, it doesn't really do much in the way of treatment, other than reduce standing waves by deflecting sounds off its curved points. A lot of foam tends to actually add high end, which is the exact opposite of what you want in that room. What you need are rigid fiberglass / rockwool panels.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com