I am sick of using headphones and I want to play out loud a little without annoying neighbors. What is a good option for an awesome guitar sound at a quiet level in a small room? Monitors? Amp? Yamaha THR10?

I have an AxeFX and Pod HD500 at the moment, but I only play them through headphones. I'm torn between getting studio monitors to play these through, or just getting a Yamaha THR10 to jam with. Which would give a better guitar tone you think?
Monitors
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Trying to stay under $500. Needs to sound good at a low volume. Any recommendations? Under 300 would be even better unless there is a massive difference in quality in the 400-500 range. I'm not going to be mixing really...just playing live.
Last edited by X14Halo at Apr 7, 2014,
The JBL LSR line is really good for the price. I'm a big fan of the Behringer TRUTH series; they sound very similar to the ADAM monitors they're modeled on, but at a fraction of the cost. It's an untrustworthy brand name, yes, but these monitors are a diamond in the rough.

I'd recommend a smaller woofer for whatever monitor you decide to go with so you don't disturb the neighbors with unruly bass frequencies. So this or this of the monitor lines I mentioned above.

EDIT: Wait by playing live do you mean you'd ever be gigging? I would only recommend studio monitors in the case of being strictly a home player.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Last edited by bassmastamitch at Apr 7, 2014,
By playing live I mean jamming in my bedroom by myself. Thanks for the recomendations! Would a pair sound much better than a single?
Most definitely, especially if you use any stereo effects in the HD500 or Axe-FX, or if you want to listen to music by plugging in a computer or iPod into one of your processors as a line/aux in.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Try to get some acoustic treatment (soundproofing foam pads) also if you can find some affordable ones, helps with me in my apartment.
I sh!t you not... Egg cartons on the wall your neighbor is on. Its poor man's sound insulation. It's what I use in my dorm and have never gotten complaints about loudness.
Quote by christfudge
Joe Satriani + Kirk Hammett = Joe Satriani

Quote by Vornik
I got really drunk, dropped some acid and found myself about 12 feet away from a black bear. Though you should know.
Quote by Wakko444
I sh!t you not... Egg cartons on the wall your neighbor is on. Its poor man's sound insulation. It's what I use in my dorm and have never gotten complaints about loudness.

Its also possible that people are just chill because its a dorm. I used to blast my guitar in my dorm and I never got any complaints. Then again I didn't do it super frequently and it was only ever at reasonable hours of the day. But I know you could probably hear me like 5 rooms away at least.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Yep- sound doesn't just travel through the walls & floors. A gap in your weather stripping may defeat any attempts to soundproof your practice area. Worse still, sound may also travel via your air vents or even your plumbing...and I'm speaking from experience.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
When I lived in an apartment on the top floor of a 3-story barracks in Stuttgart, you could talk with people on the ground floor via the bathtubs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The best option in my opinion is a decent pair of monitors. Putting them on a desk or table with some foam supports/stands under each one will help with a bit of bass resonance. Should be toooooo expensive.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Quote by fly135
I hate it when sound escapes from your plumbing. Especially in public.

or that really long awkward elevator ride.
I picked up a pair of KRK Rokit 8's (Gen 2) for something under $300 (total) a few months ago.

The 8's have enough punch in the bass that you're less likely to want a sub than you would be if you'd picked the Rokit 5's instead.