Anybody else into this? I've been getting into it over the past year or so, even though I've loved space since forever. There have been a bunch of cool things that happened this last month and even more coming up in the next few weeks, which you can find out about here if you're interested. In 2017 I'll be able to witness a total solar eclipse for the first time and I'm super stoked for that.

However, I've observed about all I can with binoculars and the naked eye and I'm realizing that if I really want to see some cool shit, I need to invest in a telescope. Anybody own or have any experience with one? Any suggestions around the $400-$500 range? Preferably one with an 8-10 inch aperture.
Check out my band Disturbed
STARS ARE PURDY!!!!!

However, this does actually sound interesting.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Look for a well cared for Celestron C8 for an all around tele that can resolve nice images. EQ mount and motor drive are important if you want to do astro-photography. I did this for about 10 years when I lived out in dark skies.

I moved closer to the city a few years ago and can't see much from home. A friend in AUS is taking images of Mars and Jupiter this month and his work is pretty stunning. Look him up "Anthony Wesley"
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
stars are alright but im not spending any money on any space stuff

the struggle is real

I would love to do this, but I haven't had the money to put into the equipment. I have too money hobbies, honestly, and all of them are expensive.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I would love to do this, but I haven't had the money to put into the equipment. I have too money hobbies, honestly, and all of them are expensive.

Got money on the brain? lol
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
saw saturn through a big old telescope and it was so perfect looking, it took me a second to realize that that was actually it, floating up there, and not some sticker someone put on the lens. it looked like every picture in every text book, so it seems like something you'd expect, but it was so strange seeing the rings and everything without anything but glass and light between you that for the slightest instant, it didn't seem real. let me know how your telescope search turns out.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Quote by StewieSwan
Anybody else into this? I've been getting into it over the past year or so, even though I've loved space since forever. There have been a bunch of cool things that happened this last month and even more coming up in the next few weeks, which you can find out about here if you're interested. In 2017 I'll be able to witness a total solar eclipse for the first time and I'm super stoked for that.

However, I've observed about all I can with binoculars and the naked eye and I'm realizing that if I really want to see some cool shit, I need to invest in a telescope. Anybody own or have any experience with one? Any suggestions around the $400-$500 range? Preferably one with an 8-10 inch aperture.

Used telescopes are great, unless the mirrors are damaged or not aligned properly. $500 will get you a damn good dobsonian style 8, maybe even 10 inch monster of a telescope. Put aside another $80ish for a decent barlow lens and you can see damn near anything in the solar system, and if you get into places with little or no light pollution you'll be staring at full nebulas and galaxies. Orion's a pretty good amateur brand with a lot of options in their line. Their 6 inch is like the go-to amateur dob style scope. The best bang for your buck is going to be this kind of newtonian reflector alt-azimuth telescope.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Apr 8, 2014,
Quote by DonGlover
Got money on the brain? lol

Hah, wow, yeah. Many*

Definitely got money on the brain
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I would love to do this, but I haven't had the money to put into the equipment.

This.

I've always had an interest in astronomy, and even took an into course when I was in college. We used a telescope to look at the Sun while I was in that class, and that was pretty bad ass.
i saw jupter once
straight on
saw the stripes and the spot
****in gay
Listen. I'm sorry.
I love space stuff too, but I've never thought about actually getting my own telescope. Seems like too much trouble. It must be awesome to actually be able to see the planets yourself though.

I think there's also something about Mars and Earth lining up today.
Yeah I'm the sort of person who either goes out and dumps a lot of money on decent equipment or doesn't do it at all. Not interested in mediocre.

Did this a bit as a kid though when one of my dad's mates would let me use his amazing telescope, saw some cool stuff like Venus, Mars and Jupiter and some random stars. Never got a chance to go out to the country side and see the really good stuff though.

These days it's just staring at the sky on cloudless nights for me.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Since young actually. My dad's really into it so he has a few telescopes and star finders and stuff, so he taught me all about it as a kid.

I used to go on overnight stargazing trips with a society here since I live in a city, but can't really do that anymore due to time constraints. but my day is made if I can look up on the way home and find a few planets/constellations here and there; usually just mars, Jupiter, and Orion
cat
I got a telescope from my parents for Christmas about 10 years ago.. Haven't used it regularly for about 6 years, but I took it out again last summer.

Looking at planets and stuff never gets old; space is the shizzle. Unfortunately, I live in the suburbs so the skies aren't particularly clear.

When I have more time and/or money maybe I'll take it up again...
Google Earth has a "View Space" option. It kinda scares me so I don't really use it.
Quote by Mudmen190
Google Earth has a "View Space" option. It kinda scares me so I don't really use it.

Yeah, if you have Android, get Google Sky. If you have iOS, get an app called Star Chart. I got it while it was on sale for free, so it might not be free now. But I love it. You hold up your phone toward an object in the sky, and using the gyroscope, it rotates the star map on the screen to show you what you're looking at. Admittedly, I don't use it very often, but when I do it sure comes in handy.

I've been thinking about getting out my dad's telescope lately too, since the weather is finally warming up and I won't freeze to death while standing outside long enough to set the thing up.
Quote by triface
I love space stuff too, but I've never thought about actually getting my own telescope. Seems like too much trouble. It must be awesome to actually be able to see the planets yourself though.

I think there's also something about Mars and Earth lining up today.

Mars is at opposition tonight, which means that it'll be as close as it's gonna get this year. Good night to go out and look at it. It'll be visible even through the light pollution of a city.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by MinterMan22
stars are alright but im not spending any money on any space stuff

the struggle is real

true that man
banned
Quote by Dreadnought
This exactly.

Two things I wanna do before I die is see a really nice view of the night sky with absolutely no light pollution, and see the northern lights.