My question is how do bands find the group dynamic of who writes? Are there members who are content with showing up to practice and going with the flow and implementing their own style through their instrument on top of what's already there? Is it normal for one guy to write alone and come to the band and show what he's got and for everyone to fill in the blanks with their own creativity? Or do bands all sit together and write out lyrics/chord progressions together? I'd imagine groupthink becomes an issue at that point?

I'm thinking of bands like Pink Floyd where Gilmour/Waters or Zeppelin with Plant/Page writing together. Did the other band members not really partake in writing? I hope you guys understand what exactly I'm asking. I'm just having a lot of trouble with finding a group that's ok with the dynamic of me writing alone and coming to them with what I have. Perhaps that's not normal?
Both are normal and I can think of examples where the group effort is used, or one member writes by themselves; or even several members write by themselves and then they have a few songs. It's just what works in the band dynamic.
First of all sorry for my english!. I always thought that someone has to bring the first idea-riff-whatever. There is a difference between bringing a riff or a complete song and forcing "your" band to play what you want without hesitation

I think that bands like Opeth where Akerfeldt compose the songs, actually he is writing just the overall idea, then the rest of the band adds their instruments, thus forming the song we hear. I'ts just my opinion
Last edited by blackone666 at Apr 8, 2014,
It is rare for a band to contribute equally to a song. Usually one person will come up with an idea and the rest of the band will expand upon that idea.

Luckily we're in an age where the person who comes up with the idea can record it quickly on their phone and send it to the rest of the band to play with before getting together.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by blackone666
First of all sorry for my english!. I always thought that someone has to bring the first idea-riff-whatever. There is a difference between bringing a riff or a complete song and forcing "your" band to play what you want without hesitation

I think that bands like Opeth where Akerfeldt compose the songs, actually he is writing just the overall idea, then the rest of the band adds their instruments, thus forming the song we hear. I'ts just my opinion

Me and our guitarist have written all songs (some songs together and some alone). We write full songs (all parts). Of course all members don't have to follow their parts note for note and they are free to add their own twist to it.

In Opeth it can be so that Åkerfeldt actually composes whole songs, not just main ideas. One part isn't a song. Sometimes the bassline is the main part of the song and a guitarist can write a bass part. I'm the bassist and when I write songs, I don't just write my own part, I write all instruments.

But yeah, TS, write however you want to write. If you want to write a song alone, write it alone and show it to your band members. And if you can't complete your idea, show it to your band members and maybe they get some ideas. I like working with our guitarist because we like similar stuff and if I can't come up with something, he may come up with something that fits my idea.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
When I write for my band I present a completely finished instrumental score in Guitar Pro where I have written the drum parts as well as the bassline and also thought through the dynamics. The details are down to suggesting drum fills.

Then it is up to the singer to come up with melody and lyrics for the vocals.

Then we make an interpretation of my finished Guitar Pro-score. We have the finished score to listen to, and work with it just as if we were doing a cover.

I hate it when someone comes in with a guitar riff or something and then asks the other members to come up with their parts. Songwriters should be able to arrange their 'songs' for all instruments in the band.

I expect the same from the other members.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
When I write for my band I present a completely finished instrumental score in Guitar Pro where I have written the drum parts as well as the bassline and also thought through the dynamics. The details are down to suggesting drum fills.

Then it is up to the singer to come up with melody and lyrics for the vocals.

Then we make an interpretation of my finished Guitar Pro-score. We have the finished score to listen to, and work with it just as if we were doing a cover.

I hate it when someone comes in with a guitar riff or something and then asks the other members to come up with their parts. Songwriters should be able to arrange their 'songs' for all instruments in the band.

I expect the same from the other members.

Yeah, though sometimes you just can't come up with (good) other parts. Or others have suggestions for them. But yeah, I prefer having something written by the songwriter and then adding my "own twist" to it if it needs something.

Of course our drummer plays what he wants to but pre writing his parts gives him some general ideas about the groove I'm after. And I'm always open to other members' ideas.

But yeah, I agree, a song is not just one part, it needs all parts to work.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 8, 2014,
Thank you for all your posts. The way I've done it is I'll be at home on my own, and I'll write the lyrics/chord progressions and my own guitar riffs/solos (band is structured as a trio). Then from there, I'll bring it forth to the guys, and I'll have a general idea of what I want from each instrument, but they're open to putting their own style into it.

For instance, I'm not going to go into Guitar Pro and show them what they're gonna play note by note. I allow the drummer and bass player to improvise on top of what's already there and adjust accordingly, maybe suggesting certain drum fills or for the bass player to do something specific here and there. Just so it fits the overall vision. But overall, the two guys I'm with are good enough to understand the sound I'm going for, and they just go with it.
In our band i'm apparently the main songwriter. I come up with the riffs, compose them into a song, record them, figure out parts for the second guitar, write harmonies, sequence drums parts, and then teach the entire thing to the band, with the entire song pretty much recorded, instrument wise. Sometimes we modify a riff or whatever in a minor way, or shorten and lenghten some parts. The drummer also changes the drum parts i make a little bit, but not by much. The basist however writes his own lines, since he is much better than me at it. After we have the song practiced, i put down the lyrics and figure out all the vocals, and we are set. Sometimes the other guitarist comes up with a riff or two, and i usually try to incorporate those into songs, but it doesnt always work.
So yeah, i pretty much write everything, the guys dont really expand on it as much as people here seem to. And its not that i don't want them to, god knows i would love to share some of the songwriting, but they just turn to me to teach them the songs. Well, except the bass player. It's a good thing they are all good musicians (better than me anyways) so i can go pretty overboard while writing.
The strange thing is tho, that the other guitarist was the main songwriter in the band for like 5 years before i joined, but since i came along, he hasnt wrote a single song...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.