on a budget
got 400 bucks
need either a amp head and cabinet mix and match or a combo amp
looking for a metal tone
i play the heaviest of the heavy and like sick sounding leads
i also play heavy guage strings and tune fairly low
i know that i need a lot more money to buy the necesarry equip to get the perfect sound
but..
any suggestions on what i should do?
thanks
A thrashed Orange Dark Terror that someone will part with for $400.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Peavey 6505 combo makes sense.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
peavey ultra head goes for around 200-250 around here or xxx head for around 300 if you can stretch a bit for a cab. 6505 112 combo will work as well.

To cajundaddy: not sure why you would rec a dark terror as they seemed way too loose for heavy and lower tuned stuff.

Also when I think metal, I don't think El84.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
hey thanks guys, i looked at all the recomendations, first off the peavey 6505 is like 1300 bucks......thats about 900 dollars over my budget but thanks hahaha, yeah....and the cheapest peaveys i can find are the valvekings....and to cajun daddy..what about the small micro terror? its only 20 watts but i heard it can push a 4x12 cab....and i also have heard that peaveys give a great tone....if necesarry i can get some offboard pedals..i dont even know....
where the **** are you located? I see 6505 combos all the time for under $400 and certainly never saw one for 1300.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
where the **** are you located? I see 6505 combos all the time for under $400 and certainly never saw one for 1300.

I see 6505+ combos under $350-400 every day on CL. That would be your best option.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-6505-plus-120w-guitar-amp-head

haha this is what i was looking at, but i just saw the combo 6505 112 on the same site lol

so you think thats the best choice for the tone im going for? ive heard alot about the peaveys, and im pretty sure that Behemoth used some sort of peavey amp when they recorded Evangelion and there guitar sound is definitely what im going for
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=1&sort=price&dir=asc&srch&q=6505&distance=100

There you go. Hard to beat that for what you're wanting unless you give us a specific location to search CL. Peavey 6505 combo for $350 or so will do nicely.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
thanks! haha, now should i be weary about buying used tube gear? i have heard bad things about buying tube amps used, like it would be pointless to buy it used and have problems and end up spending a whole bunch lol idek, thanks again man
Peaveys are sturdy enough so I wouldnt fear that it disintegrates on the spot. The tubes however may be worn out. If they work, fine but you might want to change them at some point because who knows how many years they have been there. You may notice a jump in sound quality too with a fresh bunch of good quality tubes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 8, 2014,
Quote by ermagherd
thanks! haha, now should i be weary about buying used tube gear? i have heard bad things about buying tube amps used, like it would be pointless to buy it used and have problems and end up spending a whole bunch lol idek, thanks again man

If you order used from GC, you get a 30 return policy. So if anything happens in 30 days, take it back. You might want to buy a few extra 12ax7 tubes and an extra set of power tubes.

I have ordered several tube amps from GC and all have been fine, but I have heard of some getting an amp that did not work, but they were able to return it no issues
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ermagherd
to cajun daddy..what about the small micro terror? its only 20 watts but i heard it can push a 4x12 cab....and i also have heard that peaveys give a great tone....if necesarry i can get some offboard pedals..i dont even know....

This guy gets some pretty credible Brit metal tone with a Dark Terror.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvHukr9KQ3g

It has a huge amount of gain on tap and it is possible to go beyond the boundaries of good taste and make it sound nasty though. Only three knobs but a pretty wide range of guitar tone from this little dude. Certainly worth a look to see if your tone is in there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
cool guys, i forgot to mention this is my first big amp purchase, i've just been practicing/playing my guitar thru my recording software, using pedals for my distortion, and i've grown accustomed to the so called "fake" style distortion, where it kinda sounds where theres no amp, just massive amounts of distortion, and i REALLY DO like this sound, (i use a metal master digitech), i am a fan of this sound, very digital sounding (because im running it clean in my software) but i am also a major fan of a good amp produced sound, and from what i understand, this really epic sound comes from tubes? so the more tubes i should aim for? im kinda stuck in between this "fake" digital distortion sound and the "real" tube amp sound, i was looking at this amp line by line6, they use amp modeling. any thoughtts on the amp modeling thing?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-spider-iv-120-120w-2x10-guitar-combo-amp

also this all tube amp by bugera, its a bit more expensive frlom what i see, but i heard it performs like the 6505

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-6260-infinium-120w-2-channel-tube-guitar-amp-head
Bugeras have a bad track record as far as quality control goes. They use inferior parts and there is a good chance you will pay for it one day. That link cath posted is a good choice. Its MF stupid deal of the day. Its a good amp.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by ermagherd
cool guys, i forgot to mention this is my first big amp purchase, i've just been practicing/playing my guitar thru my recording software, using pedals for my distortion, and i've grown accustomed to the so called "fake" style distortion, where it kinda sounds where theres no amp, just massive amounts of distortion, and i REALLY DO like this sound, (i use a metal master digitech), i am a fan of this sound, very digital sounding (because im running it clean in my software) but i am also a major fan of a good amp produced sound, and from what i understand, this really epic sound comes from tubes? so the more tubes i should aim for? im kinda stuck in between this "fake" digital distortion sound and the "real" tube amp sound, i was looking at this amp line by line6, they use amp modeling. any thoughtts on the amp modeling thing?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-spider-iv-120-120w-2x10-guitar-combo-amp

also this all tube amp by bugera, its a bit more expensive frlom what i see, but i heard it performs like the 6505

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-6260-infinium-120w-2-channel-tube-guitar-amp-head

Tubes are not end-all-be-all of amps. There are good solid states (Digital modeling is another ballpark. Im talking about real solid state sound) and some of them have been used in several classic metal albums. But truth to be told, most of them are discontinued and good SS amps are rare nowadays simply because tubes are the hot shit. Great majority are cheaply made practice amps, complete rubbish. Though Randall still takes solid states seriously these days. I really like mine.

Avoid solid state Line6 Spiders. Spider Valve, the tube version, is a different story but SS one is quite universally hated. That Bugera will definetly sound really good, being a clone of Peavey 6505, but its made from cheap parts and while there are a lot of happy customers there is also a lot of sad stories of Bugeras breaking mysteriously. So if you buy one be sure you have a good warranty. And replace the tubes, the stock Chinese ones are rubbish.
Personally I would go for real Peavey instead of cheap chinese clone simply because you can find used ones (either head or combo) for so cheap in the USA.

If you cant find one within your price range the Jet City Cathbard linked is another choice. It has ton of gain on tap though the saturation and voicing is less modern compared to Peavey 6505. But boosted with cheap overdrive pedal it should melt faces well enough. Overdrive is recommended with 6505 too, just because it sounds good so dont think of it has hinderance or something.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 8, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
This guy gets some pretty credible Brit metal tone with a Dark Terror.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvHukr9KQ3g

It has a huge amount of gain on tap and it is possible to go beyond the boundaries of good taste and make it sound nasty though. Only three knobs but a pretty wide range of guitar tone from this little dude. Certainly worth a look to see if your tone is in there.

he asked about the Micro Terror, not the Dark Terror Dude, Obviously the DT is way over his budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I can maybe go above my budget lol I am actually debating between a peavey 6505 combo and a bugera 6260 or6262, I was looking at the line 6 spiders but I think I'm jut gettin sold on all the functions they have but I think I might want all tube power for th tone I'm looking for
If you are curious about modelers look for Peavey Vypyr Tube. Preamp is a modeler with a single 12AX7 tube to warm things up and the 60W poweramp is all tube. Lots of good sounding models (including 6505 itself) and effects to choose from. Not exactly like real things but versatility is hard to match.

Vypyr Tube is discontinued but they are quite cheap in used market.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by ambler3
As much as I like my 6505 combo, I'd say look at the peavey XXX, purely because of versatility. It'll be harder to coax different times from a 6505.

That is another good idea. Used Peavey XXX heads are cheaper than 6505 plus they have separate EQs for all channels which is a huge plus for versatility. EQ is active though so adjusting it behaves quite differently form passive EQs (use your ears, not your eyes when adjusting) you might be used to but the amp is definetly brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZMUcwA5cqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNTux2NpTng

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I have no experience with high gain amps but it seems to me, unlike the spyder, there's a legit reason why the 6505 is so popular. They're easily had at good prices. If it were me, I'd go with the tried, true, tested, TRUSTED industry standard over the cheaply built industry joke thats trying to copy it. Definitely a no-brainer.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Cathbard
Did you not see this? Seriously, at that price why would you hesitate? It won't be there for long, it's a "stoopid deal of the day."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ive been looking at lots of youtube vids of both the peavey 6505 and bugera 6262, and they sound perfect, i think they both have a very minuscule sound difference, i also checked out the line 6 spiders, and they have a very digital sound, i mean it sounds good and all, but i think to get out the real tones and spirit im looking for im sold on an all tube amp, i think im narrowed down to either a peavey 6505 combo or a bugera amp of some sort, definetly the tones im looking for
Quote by ermagherd
ive been looking at lots of youtube vids of both the peavey 6505 and bugera 6262, and they sound perfect, i think they both have a very minuscule sound difference, i also checked out the line 6 spiders, and they have a very digital sound, i mean it sounds good and all, but i think to get out the real tones and spirit im looking for im sold on an all tube amp, i think im narrowed down to either a peavey 6505 combo or a bugera amp of some sort, definetly the tones im looking for

Just remember Bugera has really spotty QC on their amps, I will never buy another one
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't see why you woul get a 6262/6260 when you could get the 6505+, the amp it is cloning. I had a 6260, very cheaply made and delicate. It did break on me. There are many, many examples of Bugeras breaking documented on this site and others, and it would seem to me that the smart decision would be the one with least risk.

Edit: Cath, for Behemoth tones, he definitely does not want the Jet City. As good a deal as it is, this isn't a time where it would be passable.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Apr 9, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Just remember Bugera has really spotty QC on their amps, I will never buy another one

you had a bugera get messed up didn't you? IIRC 333?

buy a peavey. trust us on this. people who are on here a lot see a decent amount of bugera issues, they pop up quite frequently.

if you don't believe me, list the last five new tube amp failures in a shot period or time here from most common to least:

give me an update.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
^ Yeah I had the 333, it sounded great but was really unreliable. Because of that amp I never gig without a backup, I actually had to finish a gig with a MG100 because mine craped out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The tubes in a 6505 suck anyway so you'd need to do a retube if you bought a new one.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Cath, for Behemoth tones, he definitely does not want the Jet City. As good a deal as it is, this isn't a time where it would be passable.
That is the high gain version of the JCA50. Still wrong? I'm not really familiar with Behemoth so I'll bow to your opinion on the matter.

Anyway, TS. If you can get a 6505+ for around the price of the Bugera copy, you'd be out of your mind to get the Bugera. Peavey or Behringer? It's a no brainer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Definitely a 5150/6505, XXX, or Ultra for what you want
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you had a bugera get messed up didn't you? IIRC 333?

buy a peavey. trust us on this. people who are on here a lot see a decent amount of bugera issues, they pop up quite frequently.

if you don't believe me, list the last five new tube amp failures in a shot period or time here from most common to least:

give me an update.

i may have phrased my statement properly, i am not directing it at you, i am the OP or anyone, but i just brought it up becasue i remember your having issues.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!