Whats up UG,
To start this off ill introduce myself: My names Dan and I just registered; yada yada yada. I am 20 years old, and am pretty excited to get into playing guitar properly. I played guitar in primary school so I know a bit about chords and shit, but this will be my first real go at it and I'm pretty excited. As with everything I do, I plan on diving in pretty hard. My plan is to do lessons a few days a week, as well as regular practise to slowly improve. The difference with me however is that I plan do document my progress with weekly vlogs and journals and try to share everything I have learned. I can hear you all groaning already and doubting whether or not I'll stick to it. But the best way for me to prove I'm serious is by doing it. I work away alot, and spend a shitload of time in hotel rooms/mining camp rooms and figure guitar would be a nice hobby to fill these giant gaps in my spare time, and I have always had a passion for music.

theres a tiny bit of background, but I'll get into the 'Which Guitar?' side of this post.

After deciding to buy a guitar, and naturally opting to go for an electric, I found myself ****ing mortified by the insane amount of diversity in the market, and a lack of readily available information which allows rookies to make sense of all of it. I found myself continually asking: WHAT THE **** IS THE DIFFERENCE!?!

I'm past that though, and after a few days of research im at a point where I can post on here and know enough to process your advice.

Due to the fact that im a diehard blink fan, and the convenience of them having some of the easier songs to learn to begin with, I decided to find myself a guitar to belt out some blink songs. Naturally my first port of call was tom delonges signature epiphone es-333. Resisting the urge to order one there and then (Im still considering getting one just as a piece of memorabelia) I did more research and found that they are pretty shocking first guitars, due to them only having one tone. I was advised by a dude at gibson (when enquiring about es-333s) that I should go with an es-339 pro. I was told that it was cheaper, far more versitile, and could still nail blinks sound. I liked the look of these however, and they are still a strong contender. I'm not even sure how it happened, but while browsing info on these I came across the esp pc1v. As far as I can tell, the pc1v is a better, only marginally more expensive version of the es-339 pro, and still has all the same pluses.
This is where I am at th moment, and the pc1v is currently the best contender that ive found. At $930 au, it is still extremely affordable to me, and I am asking for any nit picks/opinions/criticisms at all before I do indeed purchase anything.

edit: also any advice on pedals/effects etc to get my desired sound with the chsen guitars would be swell.

now to satisfy the sticky:
Looking to buy new

price range- im not going to bother buying a $200 guitar, only to replace it within a few weeks and never use it again. I like having the best thinga/nice things. I earn around $3800 a week, so I can afford to splash out for once.
Max $2500, rather not go too high.

Artists I like - blink and other pop punk/ pun artists and some metal. Love amity, silverstein etc.

Location - mackay in north queensland, australia (ordering online ia basically a must, but all the guitars ive mentiones thus far I can order in.)

Pickups - you tell me.

tfl dr
like blink
wanted tom delonge signature - not versitile
considered es-399 pro
Found pc1v - sexy
Tell me your opinions of the guitars ive found/suggest me others
$750-$2500
Last edited by dkdow0 at Apr 8, 2014,
Some kinda HSS Strat, Yamaha Pacifica or PRS SE would be my suggestions to look at
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 8, 2014,
Best way to but a guitar is go to the store and try a bunch of them out and see which one you like cause everyone has different tastes and wants from a guitar. I personally like Ibanez RG series, Fender Strats, and PRS custom 24.
a lot of the earlier blink stuff is a superstrat, as far as i'm aware. if you ask me, a solidbodied guitar is more versatile than a hollowbody (or semi), in my experience they handle distortion better. and a superstrat is one of the more versatile guitars around (as you found out, tom only really uses a bridge pickup but you might as well get a guitar with more than one pickup since it's more versatile, and you can still use the bridge pickup alone on guitars like that).

the usual advice for pedals is to just get a good modelling amp when starting out, as they have effects built-in.

however, with $3800 a week (even in australia with its high gear prices) and the fact that you played a little in primary school and want to buy decent kit, you could always just ignore the beginner-level stuff and get something decent from the get-go. big problem is i'm not too well up on what's easily available in australia and what's good value. if you were in europe i could tell you almost exactly what to get...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Kaserblade
Best way to but a guitar is go to the store and try a bunch of them out and see which one you like cause everyone has different tastes and wants from a guitar. I personally like Ibanez RG series, Fender Strats, and PRS custom 24.

As I stated I am from north queensland. My town has two tiny music shops and neither of them have any real variety. On top of this, the staff in these stores have no idea what they're talking about. This is why I stated I would need to order my guitar online.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Some purrty guitars there, but they dont appear to be available to me. There is only one reverant dealer in australia (about 3000kms away) and they dont even seem to have a website. Bummer. Thanks anyway!
Quote by Dave_Mc
a lot of the earlier blink stuff is a superstrat, as far as i'm aware. if you ask me, a solidbodied guitar is more versatile than a hollowbody (or semi), in my experience they handle distortion better. and a superstrat is one of the more versatile guitars around (as you found out, tom only really uses a bridge pickup but you might as well get a guitar with more than one pickup since it's more versatile, and you can still use the bridge pickup alone on guitars like that).

the usual advice for pedals is to just get a good modelling amp when starting out, as they have effects built-in.

however, with $3800 a week (even in australia with its high gear prices) and the fact that you played a little in primary school and want to buy decent kit, you could always just ignore the beginner-level stuff and get something decent from the get-go. big problem is i'm not too well up on what's easily available in australia and what's good value. if you were in europe i could tell you almost exactly what to get...

Thanks for the detailed response, that is definitely what I will go for (that kind of amp as opposed to pedals etc). I have also started looking at superstrats, namely the custom 24 the other two guys have mentioned. Much appreciated input. Cheers everyone
PRS 408, it can do a lot of sounds very very well, if you are only getting 1 guitar, i'd get that one.
An american standard HSS strat is gonna cover most bases fairly well for you and is easily available online. It wont do the heavy amity type stuff so great but itll be close enough. Id be worried about dishing out for a prs and then travelling it as much as it sounds you would. If it got stolen or dropped id be crushed
Try an American Fender Tele with dual humbuckers or a Fender HSS Strat. I'd go as far as suggesting a Jet City amp since I've heard great things from the people on here.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by dkdow0
Thanks for the detailed response, that is definitely what I will go for (that kind of amp as opposed to pedals etc). I have also started looking at superstrats, namely the custom 24 the other two guys have mentioned. Much appreciated input. Cheers everyone

no worries
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fellow Aussie here. I imagine you are looking at some high - price guitars, but if you would want to save the vast majority of that $2500 for a really good amplifier and/or chain, you should check out these sites:

These guys have an excellent range of Cort and Ibanez guitars, all under $1000, with free express insured delivery.

Their most expensive guitar is a $300 Flying X design, but I can vouch that their guitars are on par with their cousins that double the "suggested" price. Free express insured delivery, 1 year warranty and 3 months money back.

The Aussie Guitar World

Another good site

It would not hurt to look at those sites either way, I hope that helped.

My advice/what I would get being you:

Guitar: Cort X - Custom from Upbeat (WITH case, unless you do not want a heavy wooden hardcase, in which case get a foam case from Artist Guitars) or the Flying X (ask them whether it would fit in a regular case, and choose one from there)

Amplifier:

Portable (battery powered): either the Beta Aivin BM6 from Artist Guitars or the Dethtone Evil1 from Kosmic S&L, both are something like <$100, but the most powerful portable amp available in Oz - 10 watts RMS at 4 Ohms. I am seeing whether running both at once would sound good, but I would get both if I could.

Non - portable: you will need to tell me whether you want a combo or a stack, but it does sound like you travel a lot and a big bulky cabinet would do you no good.

Effects: are you looking for a single pedal, a board or a multi - effects processor? I can help from there.

If you LIKE wires, grab however many Artist heat shrink cables you might need, of whatever length. I highly recommend at least one right - angled cable to plug into the guitar itself. If you do not mind a little delay, get a wireless system.

My opinions: please take note that I dislike the name E.S.P., but I also believe that any guitar can be made to sound great with proper care and personalized setup, which is why I would not get an Epiphone or Gibson while looking for a Les Paul, since you would be just paying for the brand name. There are great copies of all the famous guitars that you can think of, which I would pick up if I were to trade off minor aesthetic differences. Believe me, those copies sound at least as good as the original when they hit the half/quarter - price point of the original. Also, while you may love a band/group/artist, you might have read here on Ultimate Guitar that you will NEVER nail their exact tone unless you perfectly reproduce their equipment set up and work up all your skills up to their level. Which is why the best thing to do as a guitarist, is to first learn all of the basics (at least up until you can just practically apply music theory to your playing) and then try and find a unique sound not used by anyone else, then compose within that sound.

Despite what others might say, if you get taught (even over the internet) how to set up a guitar, effects and amplifier properly with personal preferences, you can buy a top quality setup for $2500 using only brand - new equipment. I just saved you about two hour's worth of marketing research and an hour's worth of lecturing, you are definitely always welcome. I felt that I would point out the two guitars that I did because they really hit me in the head hard when I read what you needed/wanted, and gave advice based off the assumption that you are brand new to electric guitars. Feel free to message me for any explanation or help.

P.S. Since this is a very sensitive, personalized topic, if anyone feels that anything I have stated above is untrue, or insulting, please send me a private message explicitly describing the little details. I never report to administrators or moderators.
Welcome. I'm from Toowoomba, I guess it's pretty wet up there atm, just light showers here from the edge of Ita.

I'll offer a very simple take-home message. With the amount you are planning on spending (are you in the mining industry?), budget about 30% of it for the guitar and 70% for the amp, pedals, new pickups, set up etc. Guitars look pretty and sexy, but the real work is done by the electronics, not the lump of wood. I can't offer any specific advice beyond that, because I know nothing about the groups you mention.