So about a year or two ago i bought a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 combo after hearing plenty of videos that really sounded great and trying it in the store and liking it. I play lots of rock and metal (mostly Metallica) and thought I really loved the amp for the first year I had it.

The last 6 months i havent played very much with finishing my degree, moving and getting a new job but recently i picked up the guitar again and i just can't seem to dial in a tone i love. I find that it sounds very thin. I use my Gibson les paul standard with it so there should be plenty of low end but im just finding the amp is too loose and flubby. I am considering getting rid of it and picking up another amp this coming weekend but i'm not sure what to look for either. There has been plenty of great reviews on it so maybe its just me.

I only play at home and record occasionally. Usually at lower volumes. I have considered getting something like a pod hd500x (boss or digitech equivalent even). Would it be best for me to do something like that? I also thought it may just be the speaker and would maybe a cab help out the sound? Long and Mcquade is the only shop close to where I live with much selection too which makes it tough too. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Last edited by tomsy49 at Apr 8, 2014,
You could try new tubes. I'd stick JJ's in it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Are you running a boost?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I did replace the tubes recently with groove tubes power tubes and mesa boogie pre amp tubes (or vice versa, i forget). They were the only brands available in store but it helped the claroty somewhat. I have not tried a boost at all since the amp has a solid boost built in boost but an OD may help tighten up the sound. How will an OD change sound compared to the built in boost? Anyone else out there with a tubemeister may have some suggestions too. Any thoughts on a 1x12 or 2x12 cab?
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Quote by tomsy49
I did replace the tubes recently with groove tubes power tubes and mesa boogie pre amp tubes (or vice versa, i forget). They were the only brands available in store but it helped the claroty somewhat. I have not tried a boost at all since the amp has a solid boost built in boost but an OD may help tighten up the sound. How will an OD change sound compared to the built in boost? Anyone else out there with a tubemeister may have some suggestions too. Any thoughts on a 1x12 or 2x12 cab?
I have one and i am not over impressed with the sound myself . I can get some good sounds out of the amp but I have to say my Solid state amp sounds better to my ears and i can get a lot of different sounds on tape . I gave up with this amp but you can try messing with the gain and EQ and maybe get the type of sound you are after, but to me if your not happy with this amp now then it might be worth looking for another amp than investing in pedals in hope you might like this amp.
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Apr 8, 2014,
I would think the shiny blue lights would make it easy to sell. I thought the tubemeister was kinda thin and lifeless myself when I tried one. Some people like 'em but I kinda thought the spiffy blue glow was there to distract you from the fact that its really not all that great of an amp. No hate, just my ears' opinion.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Those Mesa preamp tubes could be anything, most likely crappy short plate Sovteks. That's probably what ****ed up your sound. Replace them with JJ's before you do anything as drastic as buying a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
And get a good boost pedal. You can use that with any amp, might as well.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Same with the tubes. If it doesn't fix it, put the old ones back in and keep the new ones for next amp. You need spares regardless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The reason I changed the tubes out was to try anything different to help the sound. Those were the only tubes available at the store so I thought I'd try them. I think I just really wanted to love the amp but just couldn't. I think I will try to sell it. I'm more than likely gonna look at some this weekend. Any suggestions from anyone? Sound probably aimed more at Metallica like metal with a little both directions from that type of sound. As I said before only home use and little recording maybe. Budget will probably be $500 to $800 or so. Tube or not doesn't really matter. Just want it to sound good. I've quite liked the line 6 DT25 demos I've heard but are a little pricey. Any suggestions would be great!
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Jet city 50 watt combo
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
well, not a fix, but i personally find teh tube meister a low gain bluesy type amp as a whole, with a solid state really higher gain boost setting (which i also dont like the sound of). so really, for a person who plays metallica, i would never recommend it. just me.

if i were in your shoes, i may consider determining what i could get used and what amps on the market offer a better high gain tone that meets your needs.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Try a dark terror from orange. I bought one in January and I still enjoy all the different type of rock to metal sounds I get. A mesa mark would get you to the sound your after but crazy expensive.
Would there be an overdrive pedal that would work to add some thickness to the gain channel and not sound quite so thin?
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Fulltone OCD, or the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1 (tan label). Adds some balls and thickness
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75