I was visiting my tech today and he has a Schecter with a bass contour control that he added to it. If you aren't familiar with it, it helps to get single-coil like sounds on a guitar with humbuckers. I was aware of them and what they do, but I had never experimented with one prior to today.

I was very impressed with it. I could an almost Strat-Tele vibe out of the Schecter with Seymour Duncan JB and 59 pups. Added loads of versatility to that guitar. I am not downing the Schecter, just praising the mod.

I am definitely getting this done to my Tele. It has GFS dual rail humbuckers in it. This will get it back to some single-coil sounds. In general just add some versatility.

Anybody else got an axe equipped with a bass contour? What are you thoughts on them and do you like the extra versatility?
Ibanez SR1200E
Nope but I think (some) G&Ls and Reverends have it and I think the regulars here who've tried them or own them like it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah- the Bass Contour is a standard feature on all Reverend guitars, and is one of the many reasons I like their stuff!

Its a great tone shaping tool, especially when partnered with a traditional Tone knob. Right now, I have 3 Revs, and several more on my G.A.S. list. JustRooster has or had a Reverend Jetstream that he described as going from full humbucker roar to Strat-like quack.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 8, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yeah- the Bass Contour is a standard feature on all Reverend guitars, and is one of the many reasons I like their stuff!

Yeah I knew you were a big fan of Reverend. Cool to know it is standard.

Man where have I been? I need to get out more and see what it out there.
Ibanez SR1200E
Is this an expensive mod?

I like experimenting with different pots.

The Shadow Kill Pot in my Tokai Explorer is amazing!
Quote by TheAce93
Is this an expensive mod?

I doubt it. I haven't seen the schematic for it but i'm guessing it's a fairly basic passive thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got a few hundred guitar-makers bookmarked on my iPad. There are more things being done in guitar building than I can describe: Bass contours, optical pickups, fretless, fanned frets, twisted necks, funnel bodies, parabolic body cavities, exotic materials...

Anyone who thinks there isn't innovation going on in lutherie hasn't been looking.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
JustRooster has or had a Reverend Jetstream that he described as going from full humbucker roar to Strat-like quack.

I quite grew to like it. I was definitely able to get some Strat like tones out of the Neck pickup.

I have an HSS Strat that I want to mod the bridge pot to be a bass contour for the JB I have there.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 8, 2014,
You could take a look at the Fender TBX tone control. I will be installing one of these in my own HSS strat. Essentialy two tone controls in one. Turn it to the left = less bass. Turn it to the right = less treble. It has a little 'click' in the middle so you know where the dead center is. Fairly inexpensive also
got a reverend sensei ra with a bass contour, i find it lets me find the level of bass i want through different amps without having to mess about with my EQ, and just helps give a warmer tone with it all the way up