Dear fellow guitarists:

I am newbie. Despite taking some great lessons from Warrant's former guitarist and a classical guitarist, I still haven't yet gotten past rhythms and timing.

Lately what I did is to cut down my musical repertoire to just a few songs to get the basics of rhythm and picking patterns down. I started with, of course, the infamous Johnny Cash.

I can play most of his songs by just going off the tab, but I went ahead and purchased an official tablature book off of amazon and am struggling with what the following means:

Strum Pattern: 4
Pick Pattern: 3

Strum Pattern: 3, 5

I went online and did a search but seems like nearly everyone on youtube has their own interpretation of these strumming and picking patterns. What are these? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Throw away the tab book. What you need is a new amp.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
warning: serious answer

Don't get too stuck on technicalities (strum pattern 3,4,5 i don't even know). Use all that information you've gathered from Youtube videos, tabs, lessons, books and perhaps most importantly your ear to construct your own interpretation of the song.
Quote by darkcheef
Playing guitar is gay and stupid, no one does that on this site anymore

This would be my answer. So true.
the strum patterns should be in the book right??
Guitars
Fender Strat-HH dominion/D-activator
Fender Strat-HH Distortion/jazz
Washburn HM-CL/Liquifier
Amp
Orange TH30
EVH 5150iii 50w
Cab
Marshall 1960tv
Fender Bandmaster 2x12
Handmade 2x12 based on Zilla Fatboy
Pedals
NS2>DIY TS808>TU2
Can you clarify on your experience level?

By novice noob do you mean novice noob beginner green rookie newcomer person-who-is-new-or-inexperienced-in-a-field-or-situation?

Just making sure we're on the same page.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by bdannyocean
Dear fellow guitarists:

I am newbie. Despite taking some great lessons from Warrant's former guitarist and a classical guitarist, I still haven't yet gotten past rhythms and timing.

Lately what I did is to cut down my musical repertoire to just a few songs to get the basics of rhythm and picking patterns down. I started with, of course, the infamous Johnny Cash.

I can play most of his songs by just going off the tab, but I went ahead and purchased an official tablature book off of amazon and am struggling with what the following means:

Strum Pattern: 4

Strum Pattern: 3, 5

I went online and did a search but seems like nearly everyone on youtube has their own interpretation of these strumming and picking patterns. What are these? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote by bdannyocean
Dear fellow guitarists:

Quote by bdannyocean
Despite taking some great lessons from Warrant's former guitarist

Quote by bdannyocean
Warrant's former guitarist

I found your problem.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by Xiaoxi
Can you clarify on your experience level?

By novice noob do you mean novice noob beginner green rookie newcomer person-who-is-new-or-inexperienced-in-a-field-or-situation?

Just making sure we're on the same page.

I'm surprised at some of these responses. I thought this was a serious forum. Maybe i'm in the wrong place.

To answer your question sir, I'm not that green. I can read tab, I can strum and pick. More like an amateur than a guy who just picked up his guitar yesterday.
Quote by Silver77
the strum patterns should be in the book right??

That's what I thought, but they're not.
I have never heard of strum patterns 3 or 5 etc.

The book must define them somewhere, surely.
Quote by bdannyocean
I'm surprised at some of these responses. I thought this was a serious forum. Maybe i'm in the wrong place.

To answer your question sir, I'm not that green. I can read tab, I can strum and pick. More like an amateur than a guy who just picked up his guitar yesterday.

Right forum, wrong subforum.
I've only heard up strum patterns notated with d for down and u for up, and just following the rhythm transcribed...none of this number nonsense.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Who published the books? What are the titles?

And posting for a serious answer in the Pit isn't generally as productive as...say...sleeping...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by bdannyocean

You are in a serious forum. We gave you super serious answers.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by bdannyocean

sorry dad
Quote by bdannyocean

we tried to help you dude, what do you want from us? i was being totally serious, Warrant sucks
banned
I am new to Tabs and I am trying to learn to play novice difficulty tabs, Is there an easy way to search for all novice rated songs ? And get a full list to choose from?

Thanks
Last edited by PotteryPal at Apr 11, 2014,