So I've been patiently waiting for a Randall RM20 comb to pop up in my area and that day has finally come. Got one with the Blackface module for $350, cheaper than expected.

The Blackface module is probably the best clean tone I've ever owned. I'm not too fond of crystal clear clean but it sounds great and its really just the begining for this amp. Into the magical world of modules and mods I go.

The next module I wanna get is for mid gain tones. I love the midgain tone of my Rebel 20. Kind of a thick, Marshall-y growl and thats what I'd like to mimic. I noticed there are several "hotrodded marshall" type modules but I have no experience whatsoever with this stuff. Can anyone with experience with the modules give me some suggestions? It looks like the 1086 or the sl+ may be what I'm looking for but I don't have much to base my choice on. Will the plexi module get pretty growly?

A lil further down the road I'd like to get a Diezel Herbert type module for high gain. I'm not into metal but I love the Diezel model on my multifx. Any good Diezel modules?

Any others you think I may be interested in? I like everything from dirty clean through mid-high gain. I like variety, which was why the RM was at the top of my gas list the moment I heard about them.

Also, any good to know info/tips on mts modules? I found the mts grailtone forum which seems pretty useful. I'll take any info/advice I can get.

Also, I fully plan on experimenting anyways, but I wonder where's best to swap which tubes and why. I've got a gaggle of preamp tubes to screw around with. Its confusing though cause theres 12ax7's in the amp and the modules.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 8, 2014,
Cathbard has the RM100 and he has bought a few modules from www.salvationmods.com and he talks highly of www.savationmods.com

He has the Mashall+(salvatonmods), tweed (stock) and Markus(salvationmods) and he can tell you all about them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oooh, I didn't notice the Marshall+, that sounds interesting! Hopefully cathbard will be around to let me know his opinion on that.

Edit: just checked out the "Mash all+" on youtube, very cool. Then I clicked on that salvation mods link and my gas just frickin' exploded, haha. Not that the prices won't keep that in check.

Hopefully someone can point me to a good place to find used modules, I'm pretty poor.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The Mash-all+ rocks.

https://soundcloud.com/ruff-reddy/rm1000-test2
That's all three of my modules in order. Pretty obvious which is the Mash-all.
That's the bridge pup of my Yamaha SG with Les Paul Custom pups.

Another module I really like is the Super V. That's an actual Randall one which is based on an AC30 - but an AC30 that's been modded **** out of and whose father is a JCM800.
This clip is the Super V, not a great recording (just mikes pointing at the stage) but you can hear it ok. That's a tele I'm using through it. Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound bridge pup.
http://soundcloud.com/ruff-reddy/billy-time-first.

Ebay is probably the best place to look for used ones but they are a bit thin on the ground.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 8, 2014,
I really like the sound of the gain on the mashall+ but the Super V threw a wrench into my thought process. It sounds like it has a lot more gain than the blackface module I have now but can I assume it cleans up all Vox-like? I'm a lil limited with the RM20 only having one module slot so that would be cool to have a versatile module with good cleanish and crunchy tones. I like the crunch on the mashall better than the super v though. I think the Mash all+ may be the way I should go. I'm not gigging right now anyways so I should let my ears overrule practicality I guess. Geez, what a pandora's box I just opened for myself.
Yeah, when I use the amp with the Super V, I just back off the guitar volume a bit and it cleans up really nicely - and sounds more Voxy.

And yeah, that's the downside of the RM - you end up spending a fortune on modules. I've spent about $800 on them already.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What's your opinion of the mash all+ for cleans? I like a lil grit with my cleans
Not too bad if you use the plexi mode. Tbh, if I had to settle for just one module to do everything, I'd grab the Super V. I didn't need to go that path because I have the RM100. My Mash-all stays on the 800 mode, I have the Tweed for my cleans and the Markus for my high gain needs.
I've actually done a lot of gigs using just the Super V and a couple of overdrive pedals. The other modules in that amp are an XTC and a Recto. They are of no use to me so I just use the Super V. Occasionally I'd take my Tweed module and plug that in but I didn't really need it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification