Sorry to drive you guys nuts with so many amp questions lately, but I'm getting closer to making a move.

I have found a semi-local dealer with and inventory of new Mesa Boogie amps.

Last week I was blown away by a buddy's Mark V. He's in a band and gigs on occasion.

I'm just a guy with a new hobby who is enjoying playing. There may come a time in the distant future where I'll jam some with his band but mainly the amp will be used in my home......for practice. I like the fact that I can switch the 5:25 to 5W mode. The Recto-Verb goes as low as 10W, I think.

I was leaning towards the 5:25 Express Plus, however I've been advised to closely listen to their new Recto-Verb 25.

85% of what I'll be playing is classic rock and bluesy stuff....SRV, AC/DC, Sabbath, Skynyrd, Led Zep, Van Halen and such. 15% will be Metallica, Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold and etc.

Anyway....I'm going in tomorrow morning to give them a listen and try to compare the two as much as my limited skills will allow.

NAD is fast approaching.

Looking forward to being set up for a while.

Do you have any experience with either of these two amps?
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
The 5:25 is kind of a let down for how much it is...

The Rectoverb is a cool amp, though I haven't gotten to hear the small one. It looks like it has EL84 power tubes like the Mini Recto, this may make your metal tones suffer a bit, but if you are only playing that 15% of the time, then it should be fine, certainly better than the 5:25
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain

Come to England the 5:25 is retail at £1300. That's around $2000 !

If I could pay $1300 and get an Express 5:25...I'd get it in a heart beat.
Eh, I just thought it was kinda lame

There are amps a lot cheaper that I'd buy first
^This.

The Rectoverb is sweet though.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Mesa fever is easy on the ears but sometimes hard on the wallet. Enjoy the ride and don't be afraid of used ones. They are built like tanks.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Good to know on the used gear.

I may be going that route.

I know they have 5:25 express plus & Recto-Verb25 in stock so I could demo them.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
you can get a used rectoverb for a good price if you like it
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Have you tried a non-mesa amp for half the price?

If you've only been playing for a few months, it may be advisable to err on the side of financial caution for the first couple of years, just to make sure it's not a fad. It's all good identifying that a mark V sounds incredible, but does it sound significantly better (to your ears) than a cheap valve amp when you play? As most of the sound you get comes from your fingers, it's entirely possible to make an expensive amp sound shite. That's before you consider the difficulties involved in dialing in a nice tone.

As no-one in a guitar shop is ever going to suggest you try an amp at half the price of the one you stroll in asking to check out, you'll probably have to instigate this. Make sure you do the comparison based on YOUR PLAYING, and not the dude in the shop's playing.
Quote by Quiffmiester
Have you tried a non-mesa amp for half the price?

If you've only been playing for a few months, it may be advisable to err on the side of financial caution for the first couple of years, just to make sure it's not a fad. It's all good identifying that a mark V sounds incredible, but does it sound significantly better (to your ears) than a cheap valve amp when you play? As most of the sound you get comes from your fingers, it's entirely possible to make an expensive amp sound shite. That's before you consider the difficulties involved in dialing in a nice tone.

As no-one in a guitar shop is ever going to suggest you try an amp at half the price of the one you stroll in asking to check out, you'll probably have to instigate this. Make sure you do the comparison based on YOUR PLAYING, and not the dude in the shop's playing.

-1 to more or less all of this.

If he likes the sound of the Mesa's and he's willing to dish out the money for one, why not let him? He clearly can here a difference between a 5:25 and a Mark V so he's got at least some kind of an ear for tone.

If an amp sounds good and he feels good while playing it, his practice and ultimately his playing will become much better and he'll be able to appreciate having better gear more. Why settle for something sub par when he's just starting out? I'm not saying there aren't good amps for less than a Mesa, but come on.

Don't generalize about guitar stores either. Sure, big chain stores will want to sell you more expensive shit based on commissions, but there are plenty of grass roots/family owned businesses that actually give a shit about the customer and what they want.

Of course, TS needs to play and hear all of them for himself and hopefully he can make up his mind on something to settle on!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
If he likes the sound of the Mesa's and he's willing to dish out the money for one, why not let him? He clearly can here a difference between a 5:25 and a Mark V so he's got at least some kind of an ear for tone.

First - I'm not trying to stop anyone spending their hard-earned cash. The TS though asked for opinions, so I decided to provide an opinion that no-one else seems to have bothered to provide yet, in order to help the TS make an informed decision. To me, the thread has gone 'beginner hears expensive kit sounds much much better than his kit, so looks to buy said expensive kit'. My opinion is 'hold on a sec - there's some good stuff out there that's a lot cheaper than you're looking at, and you may find that the difference in performance is minimal'.

Nothing in this thread suggests the TS can hear any difference between a mark V and an express. I have no doubt that he will be able to hear a difference, but the difference he hears could stem from a number of factors including how he, a beginner, sets up the amp.

If an amp sounds good and he feels good while playing it, his practice and ultimately his playing will become much better and he'll be able to appreciate having better gear more. Why settle for something sub par when he's just starting out? I'm not saying there aren't good amps for less than a Mesa, but come on.

I think this supports why I made my initial post, and I agree with everything you have said. Where we disagree appears to be on our definition of 'sub par'. My original advice would enable the TS to identify what he considers to be sub par, and then proceed accordingly. The fact that you then go on acknowledge that there are good amps for less than a mesa echos what I was driving at, and is why I think the UG community should be encouraging the TS to broaden his options.

there are plenty of grass roots/family owned businesses that actually give a shit about the customer and what they want.

The problem I envisage would be a customer saying 'I want something like my mate's MkV, and have been looking at the Mesa express...'. I have never had an experience of going into a shop and being pointed in the direction of something that was less than half the cost of what I initially enquired about, irrespective of how much the shop cared about their customers. Furthermore, your instinctive reaction to my previous advice suggests that people could be entirely reasonable yet still not think to suggest trying something cheaper, by applying the 'practice more if they sound better, why settle for less' line you used.

Of course, TS needs to play and hear all of them for himself and hopefully he can make up his mind on something to settle on!

Indeed, so I think we (the UG community) need to come up with alternative-to-mesa suggestions of things to try that he hasn't necessarily considered! Otherwise he'll be limiting himself to spending >$1,000 on a new amp (or a proportionally excessive amount 2nd hand).

I have no suggestions for specific alternatives, so just try as much stuff as you can before settling on a mesa!
Last edited by Quiffmiester at Apr 9, 2014,
Eppicurt & Quiffmiestet,

I appreciate your perspectives on this and agree wholeheartedly that any amp at this point will most assuredly sound like infernal noise when I'm plugged into it.

It's going to take a lot of practice for this to change.

I can see this is going to be something that I'll stick with and not a fad. I'm hoping to get the best amp I can afford now....and be enjoying it all along vs flipping and upgrading every year.

I wish there were a "one perfect amp for everything" solution.....maybe there is through the use of specific pedals and such.

I'm open to many options, however the Mesa amps, in my mind, represented my top end consideration. I'll certainly look at many other types, too. Two amps that have been recommended a lot were the Peavey Classic 30 and the 6505+ 112. I could buy each of those and still come in at the same or less than the Mesa amps I'm looking at. It would seem that I'd certainly be able to cover most any tone I wanted with these two.

I've got to get a lot of saddle time with many options. I have some time off this week to shop around, too.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Apr 9, 2014,
Quote by DubfromGA
Eppicurt & Quiffmiestet,

I appreciate your perspectives on this and agree wholeheartedly that any amp at this point will most assuredly sound like infernal noise when I'm plugged into it.

It's going to take a lot of practice for this to change.

I can see this is going to be something that I'll stick with and not a fad. I'm hoping to get the best amp I can afford now....and be enjoying it all along vs flipping and upgrading every year.

I wish there were a "one perfect amp for everything" solution.....maybe there is through the use of specific pedals and such.

I'm open to many options, however the Mesa amps, in my mind, represented my top end consideration. I'll certainly look at many other types, too. Two amps that have been recommended a lot were the Peavey Classic 30 and the 6505+ 112. I could buy each of those and still come in at the same or less than the Mesa amps I'm looking at. It would seem that I'd certainly be able to cover most any tone I wanted with these two.

I've got to get a lot of saddle time with many options. I have some time off this week to shop around, too.

Quiff brought up a good point so please don't take this as an argument for arguments sake.

I've been down the road of buying cheaper gear, only to spend the $$$ on the high end gear later. Save some money and get what you want now. Yes your ears will change over time, you styles will change over, etc.

A used multi-watt dual rec would be a great investment. Out of the dual recs it captures the sound of the rec series best, only after the two channel amps that are aging.

And Quiff- you missed a few other threads. He has a buddy with a mark V. A used mark IV might be good, the prices of them have fallen.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Quiffmiester
First - I'm not trying to stop anyone spending their hard-earned cash. The TS though asked for opinions, so I decided to provide an opinion that no-one else seems to have bothered to provide yet, in order to help the TS make an informed decision. To me, the thread has gone 'beginner hears expensive kit sounds much much better than his kit, so looks to buy said expensive kit'. My opinion is 'hold on a sec - there's some good stuff out there that's a lot cheaper than you're looking at, and you may find that the difference in performance is minimal'.

Nothing in this thread suggests the TS can hear any difference between a mark V and an express. I have no doubt that he will be able to hear a difference, but the difference he hears could stem from a number of factors including how he, a beginner, sets up the amp.

I think this supports why I made my initial post, and I agree with everything you have said. Where we disagree appears to be on our definition of 'sub par'. My original advice would enable the TS to identify what he considers to be sub par, and then proceed accordingly. The fact that you then go on acknowledge that there are good amps for less than a mesa echos what I was driving at, and is why I think the UG community should be encouraging the TS to broaden his options.

The problem I envisage would be a customer saying 'I want something like my mate's MkV, and have been looking at the Mesa express...'. I have never had an experience of going into a shop and being pointed in the direction of something that was less than half the cost of what I initially enquired about, irrespective of how much the shop cared about their customers. Furthermore, your instinctive reaction to my previous advice suggests that people could be entirely reasonable yet still not think to suggest trying something cheaper, by applying the 'practice more if they sound better, why settle for less' line you used.

Indeed, so I think we (the UG community) need to come up with alternative-to-mesa suggestions of things to try that he hasn't necessarily considered! Otherwise he'll be limiting himself to spending >$1,000 on a new amp (or a proportionally excessive amount 2nd hand).

I have no suggestions for specific alternatives, so just try as much stuff as you can before settling on a mesa!

+100
I am a Mesa fanboy but I would never suggest buying a $1k plus amp as a first year guitarist. Amps are never an investment. They all lose value over time. Learn the ropes, gig a bit, trash a few cheaper amps by not paying attention to proper care and feeding, and get the dream Mesa when you got the knowledge and chops to make it shine. There are bedroom guitarists out there running through high-end Mesa amps but why? It's like buying a Ferrari as your first car so you can go grocery shopping. Wait til you have some racetrack experience, then buy the high-end sports car.

As always... just one gigging musician's humble opinion.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 9, 2014,
Eh, I agree with R45VT. If he knows what he wants, let him get it. He seems interested enough that I imagine TS will learn how to properly care for his amps, and I haven't seen many amateur guitarists "trash" their amps anyhow, maybe have a tube blow, but that isn't a major issue. Mesas are built tough anyhow, they should be able to handle a bit of noobery.

I don't think you need to be able to rip faces with your playing to appreciate good tone. Look at AcousticMirror (an old poster here). He couldn't play a solo to save his life, but he certainly had an appreciation for quality amps.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Eh, I agree with R45VT. If he knows what he wants, let him get it. He seems interested enough that I imagine TS will learn how to properly care for his amps, and I haven't seen many amateur guitarists "trash" their amps anyhow, maybe have a tube blow, but that isn't a major issue. Mesas are built tough anyhow, they should be able to handle a bit of noobery.

I don't think you need to be able to rip faces with your playing to appreciate good tone. Look at AcousticMirror (an old poster here). He couldn't play a solo to save his life, but he certainly had an appreciation for quality amps.

Thanks, man. Posting from on the road via cellphone.

Just left one store looking at some Peaveys. One thing is for damn certain....both the 60 watt 6505+112 and the 30 watt Peavey Classic are as loud as anything that I'll need in the next few years.......even if my skill level exceeds my enthusiasm.

I can see my son benefitting more from the 6505+112 and me getting the Classic 30. We could always goof around and have fun jamming with each other's gear.

Heading over to the Mesa store next.

I see you are in Wolfpack territory. I went to school just down the road.....Pirate alumni.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Remember, you can get a used mesa, and from the money you would save over going new, you could probably still buy a used classic 30 and used 6505 112
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by DubfromGA

Just left one store looking at some Peaveys. One thing is for damn certain....both the 60 watt 6505+112 and the 30 watt Peavey Classic are as loud as anything that I'll need in the next few years.......even if my skill level exceeds my enthusiasm.

I can see my son benefitting more from the 6505+112 and me getting the Classic 30. We could always goof around and have fun jamming with each other's gear.

I see you are in Wolfpack territory. I went to school just down the road.....Pirate alumni.

Right on man, I'm actually at State now Is everything I hear about the wild parties true?
Quote by dementiacaptain
Right on man, I'm actually at State now Is everything I hear about the wild parties true?

Sadly.....'tis true.

Seems like a lifetime ago......seems like yesterday. I'm ready to go back and raise hell all over again.

Quote by Cajundaddy
+100
I am a Mesa fanboy but I would never suggest buying a $1k plus amp as a first year guitarist. Amps are never an investment. They all lose value over time. Learn the ropes, gig a bit, trash a few cheaper amps by not paying attention to proper care and feeding, and get the dream Mesa when you got the knowledge and chops to make it shine. There are bedroom guitarists out there running through high-end Mesa amps but why? It's like buying a Ferrari as your first car so you can go grocery shopping. Wait til you have some racetrack experience, then buy the high-end sports car.

As always... just one gigging musician's humble opinion.

Well, Cajundaddy, you and many others really gave me some good advice that I've acted on and I feel like I'll be very happy I did.

I went in and the the Mesa store and kicked the tires on a few models. This shop is really hardcore towards the Mesa brand. One of their techs is a factory authorized serviceman and such. Could have even bought a Mesa t-shirt while I was there.....

They had a newly arrived Recto-Verb 25 that I was really leaning towards....but your advice rang true.....new driver's license.....getting a new Corvette......

I kept thinking about it and mulling it over and decided to go a different route. Everyone on here and everyone I know locally that plays.....have overwhelmingly suggested that I'd be happy with a Classic 30.

They also had a new Classic 30 and were willing to part with for $125 less than I could get it from Sweetwater or at the first local shop. Going this route really left me with some headroom in my wallet for the other gear that is on the horizon.....an new acoustic guitar for my son being the first.

Wife came downstairs a few minutes after I got home and saw it and said she thought it looked great.....I don't have to stash it in a nearby closet every time I want to play. Very cool !!!!
Attachments:
Q6vgxAX.jpg
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Apr 9, 2014,
Some people hate ebay, i love it, got my Mesa 5:50+ head and a 1X12 OS Mesa cabinet for around $1,350.00 with all shippings and stuff included, both used but in like new condition.

Quote by DubfromGA

Dude, nice haul. Glad you actually went out and tested amps, it makes all the difference!

Congrats!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by nicolasrivera
Some people hate ebay, i love it, got my Mesa 5:50+ head and a 1X12 OS Mesa cabinet for around $1,350.00 with all shippings and stuff included, both used but in like new condition.

Such a tease!

Quote by dementiacaptain

The Rectoverb is a cool amp, though I haven't gotten to hear the small one. It looks like it has EL84 power tubes like the Mini Recto, this may make your metal tones suffer a bit, but if you are only playing that 15% of the time, then it should be fine, certainly better than the 5:25

+1

The Express was kind of 'ish when I played it.

The Rectoverb is awesome though. I recently picked up a used from Guitar Center for $490
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1628526

IMO it has great cleans (although not super clean - more like great 'dirty' cleans) rock and metal tones. No boosts needed with this amp.

Nevermind.

I see you got a Peavey Classic 30. Cool amp. Have fun and do a NAD ploix...

Quote by nicolasrivera

oooooh I saw this before. You retolxed this right and had it on rig-talk? I think I saw it. Sexy looking. Congrats.

Don't put yourself down here - looking back, the 'reading between the lines' of my first post seems to be a bit of a dig at your playing (as a beginner), which I totally didn't mean. I've had experiences of going into guitar shops and hearing sweet sounds coming out of bits of kit when the dude in the shop plays (and hence think it's a much better device than I currently own), but I can't get anywhere near those sounds when I'm let loose. My advice was meant to help you avoid that pitfall, not contain any subtext about your playing :S

Well, Cajundaddy, you and many others really gave me some good advice that I've acted on and I feel like I'll be very happy I did.

Congrats on the new purchase, and it's great to see that you shopped around before making (IMO) a very good decision Personally, I've been playing for 12 years and have only owned 2 amps - neither of which are a patch on what you've got yourself, so I wish you many years of happy playing out of it!