Page 1 of 3
I haven't seen a good horror movie since The Exorcist came out. Now that movie was scary as hell. But anyways, what's a good movie that's actually scary? And by scary I mean the type of movie that makes you stay up all night watching the dark hallway outside your room.

Don't give me some Insidious or Paranormal Activity crap.
Do you prefer slashers, or psychological horror?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence[/center[
The Dark Knight
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by Baby Joel
Do you prefer slashers, or psychological horror?

Slashers are just disgusting. I prefer paranormal/psychological horror. I found The Ring to be a little scary. I like watching horrors in the dark, which make them ten times more frightening. If I watched them in daylight I would brush it off right that moment.
Quote by CaptainCanti
texas chainsaw massacre

Don't know about you but I don't find a guy running around with a chainsaw to be scary.
Reflections on Kid A - A Radiohead Film
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Unfortunately the bar for the once magnificent horror genre has been lowered so far there is almost no hope of it ever recovering.

If you're using Netflix I can recommend a few good flicks.

Let the Right One In - This is a vampire flick, while not terrifying, has some chilling moments, and it's incredibly well written.

V/H/S and V/H/S 2 - I absolutely despise the found footage genre. However, I gave these a chance and they were well worth it. Each of these films is a set of short stories that kinda tie in together but at the same time they really don't, while not every story is awesome, some of them are downright terrifying.

Dumplings - This movie is Korean made, and is about a woman who uses fetuses in her special dumplings for "rejuvenation" purposes. Koreans have a knack for film, I've noticed lately.
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
The only ones that come to mind as movies that really freaked me were the first Evil Dead and The Shining.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Ju-on The Grudge,

it's a japanese movie as far as I know, and it's the only movie in my lifetime that I found to be scary. There's an american remake of it, but original is preferrable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364385/
Last edited by Vanhalaf at Apr 8, 2014,
Quote by ProjectNemesis
Don't know about you but I don't find a guy running around with a chainsaw to be scary.

theres more to leatherface than just the chainsaw
hes pretty scary without it
this house is bitchin
jacob's ladder is my favorite horror movie. it doesnt really try to "scare" you. its more of a psychological thriller sort of thing, and it was a huge inspiration for silent hill. love that movie
The first time I saw Signs, it scared the hell out of me. That was a long time ago, but it still has some really creepy parts and is one of my fav movies.

Gotta go with the classic Blair Witch Project. Just a creepy vibe the entire time.

I guess I should check out that VHS movie you all are talking about.
Quote by SuperKid
not really scary, but The Thing (1982) is a decent sci-fi horror/thriller
the fly 1 and 2 are pretty good imo

****ing love that movie, Kurt Russel is the ultimate badass! And it actually is a great horror movie, the animatronics are incredible and really creepy (especially the dog), and is the kind of movie that makes you paranoid. All alone in the middle of the Antarctic, and not knowing who is real and who isn't really keeps you on your toes. Definitely recommend this.

For zombies I think 28 days/weeks later had some pretty good moments. Also, Dead Snow (Ded Sno) is hilarious, if you want some comedic horror.
Quote by angusfan16
The conjuring
Sinister
V/H/S

The conjuring? You call that scary?

Sinister was just creepy, not really scary.

Quote by AnoKid09
Unfortunately the bar for the once magnificent horror genre has been lowered so far there is almost no hope of it ever recovering.

If you're using Netflix I can recommend a few good flicks.

Let the Right One In - This is a vampire flick, while not terrifying, has some chilling moments, and it's incredibly well written.

V/H/S and V/H/S 2 - I absolutely despise the found footage genre. However, I gave these a chance and they were well worth it. Each of these films is a set of short stories that kinda tie in together but at the same time they really don't, while not every story is awesome, some of them are downright terrifying.

Dumplings - This movie is Korean made, and is about a woman who uses fetuses in her special dumplings for "rejuvenation" purposes. Koreans have a knack for film, I've noticed lately.

I have never heard of VHS. Is it really that scary, or just amusing to watch?

Quote by Vanhalaf
Ju-on The Grudge,

it's a japanese movie as far as I know, and it's the only movie in my lifetime that I found to be scary. There's an american remake of it, but original is preferrable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364385/

Seen it and loved it. The Grudge is awesome.

Quote by chev311e
The first time I saw Signs, it scared the hell out of me. That was a long time ago, but it still has some really creepy parts and is one of my fav movies.

Gotta go with the classic Blair Witch Project. Just a creepy vibe the entire time.

I guess I should check out that VHS movie you all are talking about.

Isn't the Blair Witch Project a PA knock off?
Quote by ProjectNemesis

Isn't the Blair Witch Project a PA knock off?

PA as in paranormal activity? If anything PA is a knockoff of BWP.
The Blair Witch Project started the entire found footage genre dude. I can't say it's a bad movie, I just personally didn't enjoy it myself.

And I definitely recommend VHS. Some of those stories kept me up once or twice.
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
I know you said no "paranormal activity or insidious" crap, but I suggest "Mama" (if that falls under that category). scary as shit (until the ending)

also, I'm very excited for Oculus to come out on friday. going to see it at the drive-in. should be good
Quote by chev311e

I saw Signs for the first time when I was 10. To this day, the part where the alien walks out from behind the bushes, and the part where you see the leg in the flashlight beam are unwatchable to me. I have to fast-forward through them or I get a feeling in my stomach like I just fell off a skyscraper. I think I have some real psychological damage from how much that movie scared me as a kid.

The sound the aliens make still gives me chills, and honestly just thinking about that movie is probably going to keep me up tonight.

However, its my favorite movie of all time. People can sandbag it all they want for the water business, but that doesn't change the fact that as far as psychological horror movies go, its absolutely spectacular.

Quote by ProjectNemesis
The conjuring? You call that scary?

seen in the right environment (with a theatre full of other people) its damn scary. its the kind of movie where other people's anxiety in the air makes it scarier.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Apr 9, 2014,
Quote by AnoKid09
The Blair Witch Project started the entire found footage genre dude.

Cannibal Holocaust (1980) is the earliest movie utilizing the "found footage" premise that I know of. Scary and exceedingly creepy, especially is you look into the actual film's history. The director was actually arrested and charged in court with obscenity charges and later charged for the murder of the actors due to allegations of it being a snuff film (this turned out to be false, but it speaks somewhat to the skill of the special effects unit).

It was banned in over 50 countries upon its release and is a genuinely scary film for those with strong stomachs.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
DRAG ME TO HELL is my favorite movie. I'm not scared of any movies, so I couldn't tell you how scary it is, but it makes you jump, and there's some objectively scary stuff that happens, and there's even a comedic element to it as well. It's just an all around great movie and happens to be a horror.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by AnoKid09
The Blair Witch Project started the entire found footage genre dude. I can't say it's a bad movie, I just personally didn't enjoy it myself.

And I definitely recommend VHS. Some of those stories kept me up once or twice.

Just saw some footage of VHS. Looks awesome. Going to watch it tomorrow!

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I saw Signs for the first time when I was 10. To this day, the part where the alien walks out from behind the bushes, and the part where you see the leg in the flashlight beam are unwatchable to me. I have to fast-forward through them or I get a feeling in my stomach like I just fell off a skyscraper. I think I have some real psychological damage from how much that movie scared me as a kid.

The sound the aliens make still gives me chills, and honestly just thinking about that movie is probably going to keep me up tonight.

However, its my favorite movie of all time. People can sandbag it all they want for the water business, but that doesn't change the fact that as far as psychological horror movies go, its absolutely spectacular.

seen in the right environment (with a theatre full of other people) its damn scary. its the kind of movie where other people's anxiety in the air makes it scarier.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't it the movie with the clapping thing? The whole theater laughed and it just ruined my whole experience.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I know you said no "paranormal activity or insidious" crap, but I suggest "Mama" (if that falls under that category). scary as shit (until the ending)

also, I'm very excited for Oculus to come out on friday. going to see it at the drive-in. should be good

The trailer looks pretty good, but I'm not having high hopes for it, especially since it's made by the WWE studio, who I can't see making genuine horror movies. Maybe genuine wrestling matches, but not horrors.
Quote by ProjectNemesis

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't it the movie with the clapping thing? The whole theater laughed and it just ruined my whole experience.

that's the one. you get different reactions with different crowds i guess. to this day, its the only movie i've ever seen anyone run out of in a panic. The part where that horrible old woman is sitting in the chair with the doll during the thunderstorm scared these 2 girls bad enough that they had to leave when I went to see it.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
that's the one. you get different reactions with different crowds i guess. to this day, its the only movie i've ever seen anyone run out of in a panic. The part where that horrible old woman is sitting in the chair with the doll during the thunderstorm scared these 2 girls bad enough that they had to leave when I went to see it.

True. I had a couple of idiots who started clapping and laughing through out the whole film. The whole audience was laughing and messing around. I hate it when I get idiots like that in there. It wasn't even a ghetto movie theater.
Shineysides I agree with your Signs post completely. The first scene you were talking about is classic M Night. My top 3 movies of all time.

Mama on the other hand? Eh, it had some good scares I guess, but holy shit that fairy tale ending

Quote by vilk
DRAG ME TO HELL is my favorite movie. I'm not scared of any movies, so I couldn't tell you how scary it is, but it makes you jump, and there's some objectively scary stuff that happens, and there's even a comedic element to it as well. It's just an all around great movie and happens to be a horror.

That was a great movie. Really underrated I think. But yea, I thought my heart was gonna come out of my chest with how many, and how good, the pop outs were.
Quote by chev311e
Shineysides I agree with your Signs post completely. The first scene you were talking about is classic M Night. My top 3 movies of all time.

Mama on the other hand? Eh, it had some good scares I guess, but holy shit that fairy tale ending

That was a great movie. Really underrated I think. But yea, I thought my heart was gonna come out of my chest with how many, and how good, the pop outs were.

Isn't drag me to hell the one with the girl who is forced to kill her cat?

It was a little spooky, but I'm surprised there's no love for The Exorcist around here. That's a true horror.
Quote by ProjectNemesis
Isn't drag me to hell the one with the girl who is forced to kill her cat?

It was a little spooky, but I'm surprised there's no love for The Exorcist around here. That's a true horror.

Yea. It's not meant to be a true horror film, just fun to watch. There were a ton of comedy moments in it.

Also, forgot about Jeepers Creepers. Another fun movie and the dude is one of the more creepy monsters in a movie.
Mama was a totally shit film. ESPECIALLY at the end.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

haha, YES! that bit was awesome at the cinema

I'm not a huge horror fan, and technically a lot of these probably don't count as "horror" movies but here's a small list of movies anyway:

Alien
The Shining
The Exorcist
The Thing
Silence of the Lambs
Snowtown (The Snowtown Murders)
Carrie
The Terminator
Not gonna bother reading all these comments.... The Shining
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I saw Signs for the first time when I was 10. To this day, the part where the alien walks out from behind the bushes, and the part where you see the leg in the flashlight beam are unwatchable to me.

I think we live parallel lives O__O

Ive been watching horror movies since I was 6, none of them scared me.
But for some reason alien movies especially Signs terrify me.
Rec

Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County

Still can't watch that without freaking out.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Last edited by slash_GNR666 at Apr 9, 2014,
Page 1 of 3