I have a 96 MIM strat and I kind of want to learn from experience by adding some cheap mods, preferably for $20 or less. I only have this 25 watt solderer and 40% tin 60 lead acid core solder, will that work?

Last edited by 457undead at Apr 9, 2014,
What you have is good enough to do some mods.

If you live in the USA look at this site www.guitarfetish.com

Is $20 really your limit? You won't do much with that much money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, I know there is cheap things I can do like a killswitch, so anything like that.
rewire it so you have out of phase/in phase/reversed phase stuff.

kinda like how the BC rich mocking bird ST works?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Reverse the pickup selector switch. I did this once accidentally while mucking around with one of my guitar's wiring, and you know what? I actually came to prefer it. Was a cheap strat copy.

Other things you could do is read up a little on tone pot capacitors, then buy a bunch of them from your local electronics store (they're like 20cents each, give or take, not much anyway) and just experiment with different value capacitors.
I think you can get a passive distortion kit for cheap too. You just solder it into the tone stack and voila, a little distortion (although these will make you lose volume)

Also yea, experiment with the phase of the pickups, add switches for in phase/out of phase.
plenty to muck around with for cheap
Just double check on the best kind of solder to use for your guitar. What you've got will work, but something else might work "better." but heck I can't remember haha.
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
wire the middle tone pot to the bridge pickup. then either leave the middle pickup with no tone pot, or wire both the middle and neck pickups to the neck tone pot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a Van Halen prewired pickguard off Amazon for $18. Then take the other $2 and get a cheeseburger.
Quote by !..!_Rock_!..!
Get a Van Halen prewired pickguard off Amazon for $18. Then take the other $2 and get a cheeseburger.

That second one is the malmsteen mod, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
That second one is the malmsteen mod, right?

I'm so happy.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
yay
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wire middle pick up directly to volume pot (then pot to switch) and wire switch hot to jack ...turns switch into an on/off/on switch when you have the volume turned off for doing those stuttering les paul toggle switch things that heaps of guitarists do (so acts like a kill switch in a way)
Buy a killswitch and a couple of shiny chrome knobs and find yourself a couple vinyl records to make a pickguard out of. I was bored over the school holidays so I dug my $50 strat copy out of the closet and decided to pimp it out completely with a shiny knobs, a vinyl pickguard and killswitch. I think i spent maybe $3 on the knobs and 50c on a pack of 6 normally open switches off ebay and put this together in a weekend.

I had 2 records and cut them about 4/6 of the way across and lined them up so they were flush.

From there I just traced the strat pickguard shape onto the vinyl using a stanley knife. Cutting the records was the hardest part, I used a hairdryer at first to cut out the basic shape but a heat gun is much more effective. Then using a drill and file I cut the holes for the p'ups and pots.

As for the killswitch, I didnt have a router on hand so I made do with a drill and steady hands. Once I had the hole for the killswitch routed out, I made a 6mm hole through the body to the output and wired it up. Oh and since I had some vinyl and a couple of jacks lying around I changed the output jack for lolz.

Overall, it sounds horrible with a crazy high action and I probably didn't do the best job with it, it wasn't as neat as I would've liked. But being 14 and doing this almost entirely on my own I am pretty proud of myself. I am definitely not the best at soldering or using power tools really but this is an extremely low budget mod that can be done to pretty much any guitar (would've been so much easier if I'd done this on my tele) but it might give you a couple of ideas.

Anyway this is what I ended up with.

http://www.imgnip.com/viewer.php?file=66352516321846007671.jpg

http://www.imgnip.com/viewer.php?file=95430164408325399806.jpg

Good luck with whatever you end up doing with yours
Quote by Preacher403
DO NOT USE THAT SOLDER! You'll eat your electronics up with the acid core. Get some rosin core solder instead. See http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Pickup_building/w101-soldering.html for some hints.

Glade I wasn't the only one that noticed that.