Alright so here goes,

I'm having some issues with certain band member and I'm wondering what to do. I don't know whether or not to start looking for another player or to just deal with it.

I tend to write songs with multiple melodies or with a second vocal line and I can't seem to get anyone to even try and fumble the parts live. In the studio or while tracking demos it's fine because I can just record the back up vocals over the original. But I can't pull it off live for obvious reasons. When I bring up the possibility of getting someone to help out in the vocal department, I get a lecture about how it's ridiculous and that no band really needs them any way from my lead guitarist. Now I know that's wrong but I can understand where he is coming from.

Another issue with him is what we like to call idle hands syndrome. If the song is quiet or he doesn't have a part he thinks its free range to try and shred over the music. Now don't get me wrong, I love a good lick but there is a proper time and or place for it. He doesn't seem to get the message when we bring this up to him either.

And finally, he has a holier than thou type of attitude when it comes to the band and the music we put out. In jest, everything he uses and everything he does is the better way to go and if you disagree you're an idiot. And with that attitude he constantly shows up late or misses practice.

We're kind of in a bind with this decision because although he is a douche to a degree he is a good player and can put in the work when needed.

Lay your thoughts on me,

Thanks for reading
Rape and pillage his entire family
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
wrong forum mate. you'll get weird replies here. like the one above me

threaten to kick him out. if he doesn't listen. kick him out.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by Lambda12
When I bring up the possibility of getting someone to help out in the vocal department, I get a lecture about how it's ridiculous and that no band really needs them any way from my lead guitarist. Now I know that's wrong but I can understand where he is coming from.

To be honest unless the backing vocals are screamed or sung over screams he does kind of have a point.

Besides that though do what Slash said.
Could be that his influence is holding the rest of the band back from trying the backing vocals thing live. If the rest of your outfit is in agreement to at least try it maybe he can be silenced if not turned around. If the answer to either case is no, and you are firm on wanting to write songs that include backing vocals it may be time to shop for new band members.
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
Quote by Lambda12
Alright so here goes,

I'm having some issues with certain band member and I'm wondering what to do. I don't know whether or not to start looking for another player or to just deal with it.

I tend to write songs with multiple melodies or with a second vocal line and I can't seem to get anyone to even try and fumble the parts live. In the studio or while tracking demos it's fine because I can just record the back up vocals over the original. But I can't pull it off live for obvious reasons. When I bring up the possibility of getting someone to help out in the vocal department, I get a lecture about how it's ridiculous and that no band really needs them any way from my lead guitarist. Now I know that's wrong but I can understand where he is coming from.

Another issue with him is what we like to call idle hands syndrome. If the song is quiet or he doesn't have a part he thinks its free range to try and shred over the music. Now don't get me wrong, I love a good lick but there is a proper time and or place for it. He doesn't seem to get the message when we bring this up to him either.

And finally, he has a holier than thou type of attitude when it comes to the band and the music we put out. In jest, everything he uses and everything he does is the better way to go and if you disagree you're an idiot. And with that attitude he constantly shows up late or misses practice.

We're kind of in a bind with this decision because although he is a douche to a degree he is a good player and can put in the work when needed.

Lay your thoughts on me,

Thanks for reading

(Looking for advice?) You've come to the wrong forum mate

The worst thing is the attitude though, and him being late for practice and him being an all around asshole. Dump that SOB like he was hot... (yeah.... sorry )

You don't want any idiots running rampant in your band, constantly making the atmosphere bad and creating tension. Just throw him out and move on. Find someone who can sing your songs and who has a positive feel around him.

Good luck
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Tell him to piss off. "Idle hand syndrome" will ruin everything, including practice. Maybe it doesn't happen now, but it will likely end up that he will play over any discussion in practice sessions. I had somebody who did that, and it made making progress (through practice, on arranging songs, etc.) impossible. And if he's being bullheaded about what the rest of y'all are feeling on the music; well that's just rubbish.
Just slip a little bit of ether into his food or something. Keep upping the dosage and see what happens.
Israel is a terrorist state.
Yeh the pit aint the place for this, but since you're new I'll give you the botd and help, just this once.

Quite honestly he sounds like a bit of a twat but probably doesn't quite realise what he's doing.
I used to have a similar attitude and found it made people respect my skills but not my opinion or like me as a person or a guitarist. What you have to understand is that guys who can shred spend hours and hours to be able to do that, it takes hours of practice and generally clouds judgement due to a superiority complex. It's a subconscious thing that makes them think because they can play faster they are better and should have say over things, well at least in my experience.

I used to be guilty of shred whenever possible and, probably not quite as badly as your bandmate sounds mind, used to push my ideas without consideration for what other people wanted in the band or the music. I never missed or was late to practice tho.

I was never kicked because I realised this after a while and took a complete step back and spoke to the rest of the band individually after realising they weren't very happy. This was around 5 years ago and due to Uni, college, full time work and diverging music tastes from various members it wasn't really possible to keep the band going but I still play music with them now and again. Main thing is I sorted out my problems by speaking to my bandmates and having a realisation about what I was doing, I very rarely shred nowadays and never write music shred based because at the end of the day, it's 99% of the time boring as shit.

Maybe let him read this or talk to him about what's he's doing, don't just kick him out, if he refuses to listen and makes it impossible to play with him or enjoy playing then kick him.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by ProgFripp74
Yeh the pit aint the place for this, but since you're new I'll give you the botd and help, just this once.

Quite honestly he sounds like a bit of a twat but probably doesn't quite realise what he's doing.
I used to have a similar attitude and found it made people respect my skills but not my opinion or like me as a person or a guitarist. What you have to understand is that guys who can shred spend hours and hours to be able to do that, it takes hours of practice and generally clouds judgement due to a superiority complex. It's a subconscious thing that makes them think because they can play faster they are better and should have say over things, well at least in my experience.

I used to be guilty of shred whenever possible and, probably not quite as badly as your bandmate sounds mind, used to push my ideas without consideration for what other people wanted in the band or the music. I never missed or was late to practice tho.

I was never kicked because I realised this after a while and took a complete step back and spoke to the rest of the band individually after realising they weren't very happy. This was around 5 years ago and due to Uni, college, full time work and diverging music tastes from various members it wasn't really possible to keep the band going but I still play music with them now and again. Main thing is I sorted out my problems by speaking to my bandmates and having a realisation about what I was doing, I very rarely shred nowadays and never write music shred based because at the end of the day, it's 99% of the time boring as shit.

Maybe let him read this or talk to him about what's he's doing, don't just kick him out, if he refuses to listen and makes it impossible to play with him or enjoy playing then kick him.

That's some wise and sound advice. We have practice tonight so I'll have a chat with him and the other members to see what's up. Thanks allot for the replies and all the advice everyone.
Quote by deadsmileyface
tell your band to fuck off, learn to play drums and then record everything yourself

That was the original Idea, I just formed this band to play the music cause I cant play everything at once on stage. lol
punch him
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Welcome to management.
The trick to motivating band mates is to make them think it is their idea. Compliment this guitarist often and he will think you are his best friend. Ask him to shred away while you are woodshedding other parts as long as he turns his guitar volume off first so others can focus. Closet-shred guitarists are my least favorite band mates because they haven't figured out there is no "I" in Team.

If you want others to sing vocal parts, hold a vocal rehearsal (no instruments except keys for spelling out harmonies) and patiently teach them the vocal parts so they feel they have accomplished something. We only know what we know and they don't know yet.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 9, 2014,
Quote by Lambda12
That was the original Idea, I just formed this band to play the music cause I cant play everything at once on stage. lol

then you should get some proper professionals, not a bunch of clueless wankers
banned
seems like a pretentious doush who thinks he's better than the rest of the band. You guys have to work in unison or not at all. Tell him to take some time off and write a solo album or something. He's clearly not "band member" material.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank