Since UG is the only forum on the internet I'm a part of, I figured I'd ask here before signing up to some weird medical forums. I also couldn't find the medical thread or whatever that was, so new thread it is.

In the spoilers you will find a wall of text, explaining my condition:

I believe I am having frequent sleep paralysis episodes. Multiple times a month, I'd wake up in the morning unable to move, waking up properly shortly after.

What's weird about it is that I've never severely hallucinated or felt any kind of terror. I've woken up like "oh, can't move", and then wiggled my way to awakening. AS I've read that sleep paralysis is often traumatizing, I started getting pretty skeptic about it. Is it possible that I'm simply having a recurring, realistic nightmare of being paralyzed?

Physically, I usually can only move my ankles. This is a common factor among all of the episodes: ankles are not paralyzed. One time I could also move my hand a bit. Since it's always the same part of my body that can move, it could imply that it's a recurring nightmare. I also never open my eyes, so I'm not sure what I'd see. Just recently I had trouble breathing during the episode, almost panicking but not quite.

Mentally, I usually realize that I'm paralyzed, and intentionally start wiggling away. I'm still really disoriented, sometimes not sure where I am, and dreams often mix up the episodes. Once I remember dreaming about clicking a link, and it was a "trap", paralyzing me. I always wake up from these episodes nevertheless. I think I might have hallucinated a few times, once I opened my eyes and my room looked really weird, having furniture I don't have and some stuff in wrong places. Once I heard a clipping noise, like someone fooling around with scissors, circling my bed. But I have never panicked or felt real fear.

And since I don't panic during the episodes, I can't be sure if they are really sleep paralysis or just nightmares. My real question is, is it possible to have a condition of sleep paralysis that is frequent but not frightening, or does my description fit any other sleeping disorder?

tl;dr - Is it possible to have have frequent sleep paralysis episodes without hallucinations or sense of terror? Or is this linked to another disorder?
Last edited by ProgThrash at Apr 9, 2014,
I'm not bothered by this at all. As I said, I don't feel terror, so I'm not going to a doctor just yet. If it gets worse I'll think of it.
Sleep Paralysis does not have to be frightening, and hallucinations orexperiences are very broad and different, depending on the person. It can happen frequently or only once in your life, as well.
Pretty much every source I've checked has always mentioned hallucinations being a big part of the experience, I'm relieved if they always aren't as I'm a really anxious person, so it's great if my sleep paralysis decides to be friendly.
Hmm, are you certain that you are not still asleep but in a semi lucid state? I had a very similar situation the first time I had a true lucid dream. I was laying in my bed (I knew I was still asleep) completely paralyzed in pain shouting at myself to wake up. Eventually I woke up for real but it was terrifying. Now that I have better control of my dreams I can always wake up when I want with no more paralysis. My situation could be completely different, I know very little about true sleep paralysis.
Quote by derkym
Hmm, are you certain that you are not still asleep but in a semi lucid state? I had a very similar situation the first time I had a true lucid dream. I was laying in my bed (I knew I was still asleep) completely paralyzed in pain shouting at myself to wake up. Eventually I woke up for real but it was terrifying. Now that I have better control of my dreams I can always wake up when I want with no more paralysis. My situation could be completely different, I know very little about true sleep paralysis.

I did emphasize that I am not sure if i'm sleeping or awake, that's why I wanted to know if it's possible to have such mild episodes so frequently. I've had a few lucid dreams, but they've never ended in paralysis.
Yeah, re-reading the wall of text it seems like you are still asleep. The scissors, and things being amiss in your room is the giveaway. Dreams can be effing crazy especially lucid ones. In the beginning it can be very hard to keep them under control, and they can turn into terrifying nightmares in a instant. I would recommend looking on the internet to find the exercises and techniques to maintain control of your dreams, there are a ton of websites devoted to it. I don't know what the paralysis means subconsciously but hell you could just have a deep fear of being paralyzed. Once you have control of your dreams it should be easy to stop the paralysis from occurring.
Last edited by derkym at Apr 9, 2014,
Just use a parlyz heal.

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by ProgThrash

tl;dr - Is it possible to have have frequent sleep paralysis episodes without hallucinations or sense of terror? Or is this linked to another disorder?

Yes, it's possible. I have had sleep paralysis up to 10 times a year since 1987 but I'm not the hallucinating type. There was a certain amount of panic to begin with, though.

I read about people who thought there were demons sitting on their chests, etc. but, as I'm not a superstitious / religious / woo person, I realised it was my mind being mostly awake while my brain's anti-sleepwalking mechanisms are still active.

It's much less frequent these days, I might add.
Last edited by Jehannum at Apr 9, 2014,
I had sleep paralysis many times. Sometime hellucinations were very frightend sometimes very strange It started when I was about 7. For me this is even better than LSD. to get out from this I try to control my breath.
Last edited by binadra1234 at Apr 9, 2014,
Thanks for the replies, I guess they are mild paralysis episodes, since my dreams always have a very distinct feel, and they don't feel the same. I'm not a religious person either and I know I'd instantly realize what's going on, but still I'd rather not have demons trying to strangle me at night.

And I've read of the breathing trick too, I'll probably try that next time I have an episode instead of wiggling around.
It's like, you can train yourself to get over the fear if you have it. If you never had it, maybe it's random or you're more laid back than the average. I don't panic/etc myself when it happens anymore and just chill and "enjoy" the thing because it's fascinating. Do not hallucinate either unless it's self-induced and it becomes hard to tell if it's a dream, reality or both. You should try opening your eyes and see if the room looks the same as when you're awake.
As for going to a doctor for this, pretty sure it won't do much, even sleep disorder experts have in my experience pretty weak knowledge on these specific subjects.
Quote by ProgThrash
Thanks for the replies, I guess they are mild paralysis episodes, since my dreams always have a very distinct feel, and they don't feel the same. I'm not a religious person either and I know I'd instantly realize what's going on, but still I'd rather not have demons trying to strangle me at night.

And I've read of the breathing trick too, I'll probably try that next time I have an episode instead of wiggling around.

I've had sleep paralysis multiple times in the past, no nightmares or anything associated with it, but I feel like I'm going to die each time. The only way to wake myself up is to breathe rapidly (I'm unable to pause between breaths or it feels like I'll suffocate) or try and gradually rock my body back and forth until the movement is dramatic enough to wake me up. I dunno if I'd die from not breathing in my sleep or not, but I hate the terror it brings me.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant