Hey guys,

I recently got a Fender Blues Junior 3 and i think it's great, good clean tone and if you crank it it has a good crunch to it as well but i'm a big 80's rock fan (GnR, Motley etc) so i'm looking at a distortion pedal, does anyone know how well these amps take pedals?

I've heard they take them as well as any other tube amp but i'm not sure

Thanks
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Imo you kinda need a pedal with the bj to breath life into the sound. I'd continue the blues theme and go with a boss bd2 blues driver or something equivalent. Or go cheap and get a bad monkey AND an sd1, compare the two general od types on your amp, return them and get a better version of the one you like better. Or keep 'em both, they're decent pedals.

Any of those 3 will get you 80s hair metal as long as your sportin' humbuckers, not so sure bout single coils.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 9, 2014,
Second the Rat. That's my favorite drive pedal with my Blues Junior. It gets an awesome crunch sound going, even at low volumes. When the amp is cranked it sounds incredible.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by ~Luke~
A Proco Rat or a MI Audio Crunch Box should both do the Job!

that's what i'd have thought (though i haven't tried those pedals with a BJ)

i'm not sure an od alone would give you enough. though an od in combination with either of those pedals (say, a boss sd1) might be worth considering for more saturation for solos.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Digitech Hardwire Overdrive. has an switch for more gain and will push your amp into 80s hard rock range.
I'd choose the rat.
Or the joyo crunch distortion or hot plexi if you're on a tight budget.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i'd say you'd definitely need an od as well if you got the hot plexi. it's not that saturated. but it does sound really good for that type of tone when boosted. EDIT: also it could be too bright with a BJ. Not sure, I haven't tried it with a BJ. But it can be bright, depending on the amp it's used with.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Too bad about the Wampler Hairstortion, would have been a perfect pedal for you. The BJ is one of the best pedal platforms I've ever used. Hard to find a pedal that doesn't get along with the BJ.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Too bad about the Wampler Hairstortion, would have been a perfect pedal for you.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a Maxon OD-808 through a tweed NOS BJr. I mostly play blues rock (think SRV) and that sounds good.
I'd recommend getting the BillM basic mods. I didn't play mine dirty until I did it, way too boxy for me.
timmy+zendrive (sweetens leads up a little bit and adds a nice soft additional kick if i wanted it).

timmy+OCD=fcuking terror, but loud, you would definitely want a g-string or NS2
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What about the Carl Martin Plexitone? with or without an OD?
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
dunno, i haven't tried it.

normally i just use an od too anyway, i prefer the sound and feel that way, it's more compressed and (to my ears/fingers) reacts more like a high gain tube amp. But i know matt (who knows more about the technical aspects of gear than I do) hates that as he thinks it's too compressed. so it's really up to you.

you don't need to fork out too much for the od pedal, though, an sd1 works fine for this method.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?