In my search for overdrive/distortion pedals, I'm seeing a lot of pedals that try to emulate the sound of classic Marshall amps. Catalinbread DLS, Plexi-tone, Plextortion, the list goes on and on.

I've always wanted to own a Plexi or JCM 800 or something along those lines and I plan to buy one eventually, so I'm hesitant to buy a pedal that copies their sound. It sounds dumb, but I'm afraid the more expensive pedals will do "too good" of a job, and when that day comes when I finally buy a Marshall I'll be disappointed because it sounds just like the pedal. So am I crazy or might this be true?
So worse case scenario, you end up not having to spend all the money on a plexi? Yeah, just get a marshal in a box pedal and enjoy it for now, I would have to throw the brownie in the mix. I'm a big fan of cmat mods though and I'm biased.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Carl Martin's take on the Plexi is great. Had one in the studio at the time I tested it and they sounded very close. To get that sound from the Plexi amp I had to have it cranked at 11 though and my ears were bleeding. Even at 50 watts the Plexi head was window shatteringly good. I just can't play that loud to get that sound...
Or find a CEC toll free express
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
yes you are crazy. dude no pedal will replace an amp like that. as mentioned though to get the most out of an actual Plexi you need to crank them up all the way. rarely practical.
Ok the Plexi thing I get, but what about the pedals that copy amps with master volumes? You can still get good sounds out of a JCM 800 at low volume.

Have you seen the video comparing the Box of Rock to a Marshall? Its identical. Personally, it pisses me off that they can get away with that, but I can understand why a patent or copyright on a sound not practical.
Quote by 757ian123

I've always wanted to own a Plexi or JCM 800 or something along those lines and I plan to buy one eventually, so I'm hesitant to buy a pedal that copies their sound. It sounds dumb, but I'm afraid the more expensive pedals will do "too good" of a job, and when that day comes when I finally buy a Marshall I'll be disappointed because it sounds just like the pedal. So am I crazy or might this be true?

You need to think about this for a second. If you have a pedal that sounds like the Marshall you want, why in the world would you want the amp? You're looking at the fragility and weight and size of the Marshall as opposed to the ability to plug this pedal in whenever you need this sound from virtually any amplifier -- or from no amplifier at all if you plug the rig into a DI box or direct into a PA mixer, etc.

Where's the "lose" in that situation?

Wander over to the Wampler pedal site and look at the Pinnacle, the Plexi-Drive and the Plextortion. Wouldn't you rather pack one of those into a gig-bag pocket than to cart around a 65 pound head and a 100 pound 4x12?
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 9, 2014,
Quote by 757ian123
Ok the Plexi thing I get, but what about the pedals that copy amps with master volumes? You can still get good sounds out of a JCM 800 at low volume.

Have you seen the video comparing the Box of Rock to a Marshall? Its identical. Personally, it pisses me off that they can get away with that, but I can understand why a patent or copyright on a sound not practical.

you can't copyright or patent a sound. keep in mind that those pedals are an approximation of the sound and won't totally replace the amp. also keep in mind that pedals tend to focus on one aspect of the amp as well. plexi's for instance actually have a nice clean sound.
^ yeah.

feel is a big thing, too. I haven't tried those newer cascading jfet type pedals, which may well be better, but any distortion pedals I have tried I haven't preferred to amp distortion. Maybe that's just me. But there's a feel discrepancy there, to me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've NEVER found a distortion pedal that I liked as well as overdriven tubes, even the high-end stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by dspellman
You need to think about this for a second. If you have a pedal that sounds like the Marshall you want, why in the world would you want the amp? You're looking at the fragility and weight and size of the Marshall as opposed to the ability to plug this pedal in whenever you need this sound from virtually any amplifier -- or from no amplifier at all if you plug the rig into a DI box or direct into a PA mixer, etc.

Where's the "lose" in that situation?

Wander over to the Wampler pedal site and look at the Pinnacle, the Plexi-Drive and the Plextortion. Wouldn't you rather pack one of those into a gig-bag pocket than to cart around a 65 pound head and a 100 pound 4x12?

You can make a Honda into an 11 second car, but I'd still rather have a Lamborghini.

Whenever I finally decided to drop a few grand on a Marshall, I want to be blown away by the sound. I don't want to think "My $170 pedal sounds just like this".

Quote by classicrocker01
I've NEVER found a distortion pedal that I liked as well as overdriven tubes, even the high-end stuff.

That's what I'm hoping...
Last edited by 757ian123 at Apr 9, 2014,
So you're wanting the look or prestige of owning a marshal instead of the sound? That's stupid. If there were a pedal out there that cloned the sound and made the amps obsolete, you would be upset that you could save money and get the same sound?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
And, before you answer, you should decide what kind of marshal sound you actually want, because a lot of people out there make marshals better than marshal does now.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I don't care about look or prestige, whatever gear I get will probably never leave my house.

It's mainly just the fact that I hate rip-offs. Why buy a copy when you can have the real deal? It's the intangibles that come with actually having the gear. I'm clearly not the only one who feels this way or else everyone would be using an Axe-Fx.
The axe fx still doesn't replace a good tube amp IMO. Recorded is one thing, live is different. Not saying the axe sounds bad. Marshal is now just a rip off, using the name and rep it got from amps that are over 20 years old. On principal, I think a pedal that manages to clone an amp exactly would be an original breakthrough regardless of whether the tone it copies exists before.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
There's a market for it, that's why. People sometimes don't want the expense and hassle of an amp or five, so these "...in-a-box" pedals are nice. People realized this and figured there was a buck to be made. Same with Fractal. It's more than just the principal of it that keeps people from buying these products, though. They don't react the same, a modeler or pedal cannot completely recreate the response of a tube amp. They sound just about perfect, but play them yourself, and you'll see.

Not to mention the Axe costs a leg and a half.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I've found that if you judge those things on their own merit, rather than comparing them to something that already exists, you tend to get a lot more out of them. Plenty of them sound good or even great even if they don't replace a certain amp.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Yeah, like I prefer modelers for pretty much any technical metal or really fast music because it is so immediate, it tracks the notes well. You can get some cool tones because of all the options, too. You can make some rigs that would be impossible or very impractical to have in analog form.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Its hard to beat modelers for Djent in all honesty. Sounds better in a lot of ways than a tube amp, maybe one of the few times I can say that.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Let me get this straight. You're not asking if a pedal is as good as the real thing (which it isn't), you're wondering if it's a waste of money if you later buy an actual Marshall?
Well, I can't imagine any of those pedals sounding bad in front of a JCM800 or plexi. You will probably want to run the gain a lot lower on the pedal in front of an actual Marshall but they should make an interesting boost. You'll end up wanting a boost anyway, if for no other reason than to give you a wider palette to play with. What you have may be all you need.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 757ian123
It sounds dumb, but I'm afraid the more expensive pedals will do "too good" of a job, and when that day comes when I finally buy a Marshall I'll be disappointed because it sounds just like the pedal. So am I crazy or might this be true?

yes that does sound dumb. no pedal is going to do 'too good' of a job.
Yeah, "my JCM800 2203 doesn't sound as good as my Plextortion" is probably said less than, "stop sucking my dick."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, "my JCM800 2203 doesn't sound as good as my Plextortion" is probably said less than, "stop sucking my dick."

Cath strikes again!
Quote by 757ian123

Whenever I finally decided to drop a few grand on a Marshall, I want to be blown away by the sound. I don't want to think "My $170 pedal sounds just like this".

Having a $170 pedal which sounds like a real JCM800 (for example) would be awesome. Wouldn't it be great if you wouldn't have to spend a few grand on Marshall because you can have the same tone in a small cheap pedal?

Also, be aware that a pedal is not going to give it's best sound if you put it in front of a bad amp and cab - like your MG (I'm not trying to insult you or your amp but it's a fact - MG sucks).
Quote by Cathbard
Let me get this straight. You're not asking if a pedal is as good as the real thing (which it isn't), you're wondering if it's a waste of money if you later buy an actual Marshall?

Pretty much.

But my question has been answered and it seems like I have nothing to worry about.
I love being able to dial in different OD settings on my pedals, for the versatility and convenience... But by far the best OD sound I can make with my gear is just cranking the bejeezus out of my amp. I doubt there's any pedal that would change that for me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!