While I own a '60s Classic Player Strat, it doesn't have the balls to play a lot of more modern music. I basically want to be able to achieve the range of tones in "Heart-Shaped Box". I have an AL-2000 so I don't really need a humbucker guitar. The Strat is used and needs a lot of love. Is there a single coil guitar I could buy or should I mod the Strat?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
You can get a nice set of pups for the strat from Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio for a fraction of the cost of a new guitar. I'd go for that if you are handy with a soldering iron.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
the TS is in the US so he'd be fine. no help to you though.

fwiw the pedal pretty much sucks ass but that's just my opinion.

klon is the only answer.
Quote by lespaul#1
While I own a '60s Classic Player Strat, it doesn't have the balls to play a lot of more modern music. I basically want to be able to achieve the range of tones in "Heart-Shaped Box". I have an AL-2000 so I don't really need a humbucker guitar. The Strat is used and needs a lot of love. Is there a single coil guitar I could buy or should I mod the Strat?

There are single coil size humbuckers that will fit. Put something like a DiMarzio Fast Track II in the bridge and your opinion of the guitar will change. Check out the Kinman Noiseless pickups. Visit the Wampler Pedals site and see what the options are...
put a JB in a new pickguard or put a JB Jr in the bridge (if you just want to change the p/u)

The DS-1 is also a good choice here as is the DOD Grunge.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by lespaul#1

1)There are single coil sized humbuckers, and single coils that ARE hotter than humbuckers. You can find info on some of them at the Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio websites. Both manufacture formidable pickups.

2)You can get balls by tinkering with the EQs of your amp and pedals, and of course, if you want a heavier sound, PICK HARDER.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Well my friend is going to set up my Strat for me. But seriously these pickups get no sustain and are very meh. And I have a DS-1 already but good idea.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
...and Lace, Tesla, Rio Grande, Bareknuckle and, well...doggone near anyone who makes singlecoils will have a variety of offerings to choose from that may deliver more of what you seek.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you want all of the tones in "Heart-Shaped Box," a Boss DS-1 will do the job. As for pickups, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzzio, and Lace among others make replacement pickups that'll cover all bases.
Skip the username, call me Billy
My friend set up my Strat and it plays well now. However the pickups have little to no output and are ****ed up. They don't even prevent hum when in the second and fourth position. He recommended I change them. While I have a Les Paul for heavy stuff, I want pickups that can do grunge but have good cleans as well. I'm not sure what to get in single coil versus humbuckers. What would you all recommend for good pickups on a budget?
Quote by chip46
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Even for grungy/modern alternative rock stuff?
Quote by chip46
#5423 is a hotter pickup for neck or bridge, but it is not be the best out there. You can get better by paying more, for sure.

What is your actual budget.

If i wait probably around $100 or so. Is that enough?
Quote by chip46
Total or per pickup?

Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
You might be better off dropping an inexpensive singlecoil-sized humbucker in the bridge, like these:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TBH60

www.ebay.com/itm/like/360885129464?lpid=82

And then using the Golden Age pickups in the middle and neck (with the neck one being #5423, mentioned above).

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 11, 2014,
Well $100 for all? Is that a bad budget?
Quote by chip46
Well, it's not terrible, but it is $40-110 short for buying 3 pickups of the kind that most people in this thread are suggesting. Honestly, though, I'd say that $150 is the bare minimum for 3 pickups that would make an obvious difference. And why do this if the change isn't immediately noticeable.

Ok so $150 would be ok? And I like the idea of the 61 and the 58 together but how is the output on them?
Quote by chip46
I don't know those DiMarzios well enough to answer.

I'm kind of in a split between high output and good cleans.
Quote by chip46
Nothing wrong with getting a high-output pickup for the bridge and one better suited for cleans in the neck and/or middle. Many guitars do this.

Quote by lespaul#1
Ok so $150 would be ok? And I like the idea of the 61 and the 58 together but how is the output on them?

Like Danny said, nothing wrong with a hot bridge and a mellow neck and middle. The DiMarzio page recommended a 61 bridge and a 58 mid/neck.

That said, I have virtually no experience with these pickups, as I rarely use single coils at all.

Be sure to get more suggestions here if you're looking into DiMarzio, though http://www.dimarzio.com/pickup-picker
Gear:
The only reason I care about the bridge being that way is because I play a bit of surf guitar.
Quote by chip46
While most surf is played on singlecoils, some has been played on HBs and P90s.

Hmm...does your guitar have a swimming pool route? If so, you could put a HB-sized P90 in the bridge for extra-testicular heft.

Quote by lespaul#1
The only reason I care about the bridge being that way is because I play a bit of surf guitar.

The most important thing in surf is a good clean tone and a nice reverb. Singles can help, but ultimately it's your style that matters.

And that's coming from a guy who plays Strats and Jazzmasters near exclusively.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by dannyalcatraz
While most surf is played on singlecoils, some has been played on HBs and P90s.

Hmm...does your guitar have a swimming pool route? If so, you could put a HB-sized P90 in the bridge for extra-testicular heft.

How would I know that? It's the '60s Classic Series Strat so I doubt it.

Quote by JustRooster
The most important thing in surf is a good clean tone and a nice reverb. Singles can help, but ultimately it's your style that matters.

And that's coming from a guy who plays Strats and Jazzmasters near exclusively.

I'm just afraid of sacrificing cleans and twang for output. I don't play Surf as much as some things but I still value it and its tone.
Quote by chip46
maybe a tapped single coil? never tried them, so that may well be a stupid idea, but it might be worth considering.

but yeah generally the more of one you get the less of the other. so you have to decide which you need more, really (or else compromise with something inbetween).

or use a tubescreamer or similar as a boost. assuming you have a tube amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lespaul#1
How would I know that? It's the '60s Classic Series Strat so I doubt it.

You or me? We'd have to take the pickguard off and look.

Some of the more tech minded guys like JustRooster might know just from knowing what model your guitar is.