When playing electric, it literally feels easier on my fingers the more gain I have on. I pick faster and play more accurately also, due to the feel. I can play pentatonic runs pretty fast ,and then turn my distortion pedal off, and get easily tripped up on the same exact runs while on a clean setting. It just *feels* different. Why is this? Is there any remedy other than more practice? I love the way it feels, but I don't love the way my tone sounds soaked in distortion.
What amp are you using? Cheap distortion can cover up ("drown out") your mistakes to a certain degree.

Are you trying to get distortion out of your clean? That leads to picking harder trying to make it more distorted.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
distortion does cover mistakes and the sustain helps smooth things out. play clean and if you can't match your speed and perceived precision with distortion then you know that you were fooled.
Quote by monwobobbo
distortion does cover mistakes and the sustain helps smooth things out. play clean and if you can't match your speed and perceived precision with distortion then you know that you were fooled.

Pretty much.

I prefer to play clean most of the time, or on acoustic. Mainly so I don't have to plug anything in cuz I'm lazy.

Acoustic guitar is a good way to build speed, strength and precision.

Nothing to cover up your mistakes and sloppy fingering.

Sounds dirty, right? ^
ayy lmao
Quote by Offworld92
What amp are you using? Cheap distortion can cover up ("drown out") your mistakes to a certain degree.

Are you trying to get distortion out of your clean? That leads to picking harder trying to make it more distorted.

i have a peavey delta blues 115 and I'm using a really basic blue fender distortion pedal that came with my mexi jazz bass a few years ago. No, I'm not trying to get distortion out of my clean tone. I know that distortion will cover mistakes but the strings just feel "easier to get through" if that makes sense, with a lot of saturation. I guess it could be the sustain. I have an American strat that really has pretty poor sustain on clean setting. Maybe i should get a compressor?
Quote by chookiecookie
Pretty much.

I prefer to play clean most of the time, or on acoustic. Mainly so I don't have to plug anything in cuz I'm lazy.

Acoustic guitar is a good way to build speed, strength and precision.

Nothing to cover up your mistakes and sloppy fingering.

Sounds dirty, right? ^

It's interesting you say that. I actually do practice primarily on my taylor 214 acoustic--and i feel like i play better on that than i do on my strat on a clean setting :/
dude a clean sound with a strat is just that a clean sound . you have to pick the notes precisely and evenly as you can't depend on sustain to cover up errors. strats can be a tough guitar and kind of forces you to be a better player. throw in a little reverb and see if that helps a bit.
it's (probably) the extra compression you're getting from the distortion

try a compressor pedal if you want a similar (ish) feel when playing clean

don't use it as a crutch, but at the same time plenty of good clean players use compressor pedals to let them do stuff which would be difficult to play without one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's (probably) the extra compression you're getting from the distortion

try a compressor pedal if you want a similar (ish) feel when playing clean

don't use it as a crutch, but at the same time plenty of good clean players use compressor pedals to let them do stuff which would be difficult to play without one.

Thx Dave. Is there inherent compression differences between a true distortion pedal and an overdrive like the way huge green rhino? I find it a lot more difficult to play w/ the fluidity while using the rhino.
Quote by RyanMW2010
Thx Dave. Is there inherent compression differences between a true distortion pedal and an overdrive like the way huge green rhino? I find it a lot more difficult to play w/ the fluidity while using the rhino.

actually i would say a tubescreamer-style overdrive like the green rhino is actually very compressed, maybe moreso than a distortion (at least when comparing similar levels of overdrive/distortion). But I'm guessing you're running the green rhino at a much lower amount of overdrive so it seems less compressed.

into a tube amp i find a ts-style pedal to be very compressed. admittedly then you're getting some help from the tube amp, too (and probably boosting it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Play acoustics to practice technique perfectly. For a skilled player it doesn't matter, they can notice their mistakes if they make them even with distortion. But a beginner might overlook poor technique because they don't hear the mistakes as well. An acoustic always lets you know when you do something not quite right.
Quote by Dave_Mc
actually i would say a tubescreamer-style overdrive like the green rhino is actually very compressed, maybe moreso than a distortion (at least when comparing similar levels of overdrive/distortion). But I'm guessing you're running the green rhino at a much lower amount of overdrive so it seems less compressed.

into a tube amp i find a ts-style pedal to be very compressed. admittedly then you're getting some help from the tube amp, too (and probably boosting it).

I'm going into a peavey delta blues 115 tube, but in my bedroom, so it's on 3ish. I think I just don't like the green rhino's tone for lead playing, but I'm going to play with it more and find something I like.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Because you don't notice any mistakes as much.

Yup. The feeling of playing better is just placebo effect. Playing clean reveals your technique mistakes and as you hear them you start to "stutter" and hestitate because it sounds bad.

But under distortion because you cant hear your mistakes so well you just roll with it with a grin thinking you are playing awesome. In reality picking dynamics may be all over the place but its all compressed flat and notes are merged together hiding timing issues.

Practice a riff in clean or mild overdrive until you play it cleanly and then apply to strong distortion again. You will notice that even the distorted playing now sounds noticeably better than what it was before.

Now, for gainaholics like me this is easier said than done. Practicing clean is boooriiing.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 9, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
Yup. The feeling of playing better is just placebo effect. Playing clean reveals your technique mistakes and as you hear them you start to "stutter" and hestitate because it sounds bad.

But under distortion because you cant hear your mistakes so well you just roll with it with a grin thinking you are playing awesome. In reality picking dynamics may be all over the place but its all compressed flat and notes are merged together hiding timing issues.

Practice a riff in clean or mild overdrive until you play it cleanly and then apply to strong distortion again. You will notice that even the distorted playing now sounds noticeably better than what it was before.

Now, for gainaholics like me this is easier said than done. Practicing clean is boooriiing.

haha dude, SO boring! especially w/ no delay! I don't even like the way playing true clean feels. Thanks for the suggestion, though ,this is definitely the truth of it.
Quote by RyanMW2010
I'm going into a peavey delta blues 115 tube, but in my bedroom, so it's on 3ish. I think I just don't like the green rhino's tone for lead playing, but I'm going to play with it more and find something I like.

aye. i dunno. i play pretty quietly and i still notice the compression.

Quote by MaaZeus
Yup. The feeling of playing better is just placebo effect.

surely "placebo effect" would mean there's no difference?

other than that, agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
See, I find the opposite true, I actually prefer to play fast on clean settings, or on acoustic. I used to see it the other way when I was younger, but as I have progressively gotten more and more heavy handed, I have found that it causes my sound to me more prone to mud (I really bash the shit of my strings). With less distortion it does require a more heavy-handed picking technique to get the notes to sound out, maybe you have a light touch?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
yeah in some ways I find distortion helps but in other ways it actually makes it harder.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?